Chaos Wastes - Grudge Marks

A lot of that text has been released before. The only new information was which Grudge Marks there exist. Some sound kinda fun, others sound as they have absolutely zero influence on how bosses are battled (Mighty for example).

Wait these are only for bosses? sigh …

So far Fatshark always refered to monsters. So yea, I assumed this to count only for the five mini-bosses.

Kind of a hype killer for me then. Like half of these won’t do anything to bosses anyways, 1/3rd are avoidable and rest wont be an issue when careers can do damage that mounts to bosses slain in seconds anyways. I really thought this was more generic system for some reason.

That’s a big oof

1 Like

Depending on how it’s implemented, a lot of that stuff sounds like grief central on cata. I’m curious to see it.

1 Like

I dunno mate it sounds like fighting a stormfiend that is immune to ranged and will teleport away when you hit it will completely change the fight.

It might be fuken infuriating though.

3 Likes

Yeah a regen vampire immune troll sounds like instant Cata Trolling (pun intended).

1 Like

That’s more annoying than challenging. Heck I can see killing one being really annoying with say vampiric, Invincible and Regen. But these mods won’t take away the fact that you can basically ignore the boss and use its flame to kill chaf before you focus it.
Or heck if its not stagger immune just throw it off the ledge.

If anything this just makes fighting some buffed up mino even more annoying with full tank party.

1 Like

If it makes boss killers toned down a bit I’m cautiously optimistic. Especially if it nerfs explosive shot Engi and similar.

Considering it’s for an unbalanced game mode only, seems fair that the boss boosts would be that strong

Hopefully that’s not what is intended with this, as ultimately it doesn’t fix the busted stuff in any capacity. I’d say there’s a bit but too much variance difficulty-wise in the current cata experience for expeditions. A small fraction of the runs are a snorefest due mostly to lucky rolls related to boons (assuming players have set up their base kits in anticipation of them), maps or curses, but the majority (at least in my experience) are much closer to a grief-fest already. Attempting to put a hard stop to a run trivialized by busted boons through (potentially just as) busted monsters here and there doesn’t sound like the greatest of ideas, especially when considering that most runs are a pain enough already just due to bad luck.

Again, I’m very interested in seeing how this is implemented as it already gives me a lot of Diablo 2 vibes.

1 Like

I mean, if the actual balance breaking stuff is present in that run like explosive engineer then the monsters are kinda toast anyway, being able to heal if they hit something doesnt change that.

It seems likelier it will just lead to poverty runs being even harder while the rest remains as it is.

1 Like

Yeah most of my CATA runs with pre made are like this;

Fine, fine, everything gliding along, maybe some ok boons.

Wipe in under a minute to spectacular difficulty spike.

OR

Lightning, Double ranged projectiles, explosive shot, pooping out healkits. > steamroll to the end.

1 Like

Meh, my body is ready for some top tier jank with no ranged damage + invincibility.

I want to see ledged monsters just teleport back

Show me the unstaggerable, shield breaking, crippling minotaurs

Naruto Chaos Spawns making mirror images and shadowstepping across the map, heck yeah

4 Likes

They seem fun and new but I fear they might lack some counterplay.
I understand and approve the fact that each monster attribute combo will force us players to adapt and fight differently, and that is a good thing ; but a slamming rogre Shadow-stepping around or a Relentless, Shield-Shatter Minotaur or Spawn seems, at least on principle, very tricky to me.

We’ll see :smiley:

I’m also kinda hyped for the challenges.

I think it really depends on the details. The Grudge Marks which force us to take a new apporach seem interesting. Something like stronger hitting monsters or regenerating monsters seem more boring or even pointless.

Stagger immunity will most likely lead to some cursing :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I wonder if this is the final update before Thursday or if there are still some more hidden pieces of information. Mostly looking minor stuff like potential changes for the 100 games challenges or even Weekly Quests.

To be honest I expected something less creative, some of these really change how a boss is fought, the rest will make the fights longer/riskier, which is probably the point behind the update anyway.

After reading the marks I got a bad feeling about them.

They seem the usual “punish the player” FS style way of balance, just throwing something they think it’s funny.

For example Relentless is interesting but Invincible or Rampart are just plainly stupid and a direct nerf to some careers.

1 Like

Imagine you´re playing Sir Kruber, about to charge some monster and suddenly it teleports off, letting you run right out over a cliff.

Bonus tilt points if you manage to stop the charge but the monster is behind you and smacks you flying to instant death.:sweat_smile:

1 Like