Beeping on using Volley fire

PLEASE POST CRASHES AND ERRORS IN THE ‘TECHNICAL SUPPORT’ CATEGORY INSTEAD

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can add it to our database for investigation.

Issue Description:
Whenever I use the Volley fire ability, I get a beeping sound, seemingly whenever the ability marks an enemy. It sounds similar to the sound Windows makes when you hold a key for too long, but it definitely isn’t related to it. In fact, I can confirm that since the issue got significantly worse when I unlocked Counter Fire today. It’s really off-putting.

Steps to Reproduce:
[Please add the steps that can help our QA department in reproducing the issue. For example:]

1. Play Veteran
  2. Use Volley fire
  3. Listen for beeping

Platform:
Steam

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
[12/02/2022 06:00AM] [GMT+1]

Reproduction Rate:
Often (<75%) - Constant (100%)

Upload Console Log:
console-2022-12-02-03.50.17-11c3dbb4-e284-4ca1-bf70-b013898f2fd2.log (482.4 KB)

1 Like

That’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever heard. Any chance you could also upload your launcher log file?

You may find it by doing the following:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here
1 Like

darktide_launcher.log (392.0 KB)
Here you go

1 Like

Isn’t that simply an indicator for the extension on volley kicking in (i.e. whenever you kill an auto-highlighted enemy)? I was under the impression that this is working as intended.

That might be the case, but the sound played for me before I got access to the extension abilities. Plus it also plays at the start, and plays more often when there are more highlighted enemies. So… maybe?

I am having the same issue and it is definitely when a target is marked by the Veteran special. 2 buddies playing veteran with me and I had them test it out with me. Hopefully it can get fixed soon cause its honestly quite annoying, playing on higher difficulty when there are packs of multiple elites i hear like 7 beeps, and sometimes in very quick succession. Sounds very similar to my headphones dying also, which cant be helped but sucks cause I spent 3 days thinking my headphones were broken and not charging right lol.

just made an account to confirm this issue, sometimes even happen while dodging multiple times in a row but the main trigger is volley fire especially when there’s many enemies, I also spent 3 days trying to figure out if my hardware was dying because it’s exactly this kind of sound/beeping:

usually when cpu is too busy or something is failing (kb, mouse etc)

hope it’s helpful if you need any informations to help narrow it down just lmk
darktide_launcher.log (985.4 KB)

I can confirm this is the sound it sounds like. I’d rather the game doesn’t cook my CPU, I kinda need that…

Playing Zealot I hear it all the time and couldn’t figure out what it was. It could be an audio cue for when the feat marks an enemy, or like you said another ability. Either way it’s a hideous and confusing sound and needs to be changed or completely removed. It helps no one and sounds awful.

OP, please ignore anyone UNQUALIFIED giving you UNSOLICITED technical advice. This is an audio cue in the game… don’t let them ruin your computer on a goose chase. This is not hardware or OS related… it’s a sound in the game.

Everyone in the game can hear it when it happens.
I’ve had people in VOIP asking what it was when we were playing with a Veteran.

2 Likes

i disagree with you but eh, whatever.

Could any of you supply a clip of this beeping sound happening?

I heard it as a Zealot.

So, I’m pretty sure the beeping you’re hearing the beeping that occurs when a Veteran has any of the Level 30 Feats. All the Level 30 Feats will reset the duration of the ability whenever the user kills a designated target - the beeping is an audio cue to tell you the duration has been reset. It’s also audible to other people in the group, strangely enough, so that accounts for you hearing it before Level 30. Now that you’ve unlocked Counterfire, you hear it more often since it highlights a boatload of enemies (almost everything that shoots), and killing any of them will reset the duration, playing that beeping sound every time.

No. Recording software in combination with the game is impossible to run, the game’s too badly optimized for that, sorry. Maybe someone with a more powerful PC could do it.

As for the Level 30 feats: I have already stated that I heard it before. I also hear it on the initiation of the ability, so it is definitely not an audio cue for its extension, especially since you hear a barrage of beeps if the ability marks multiple enemies.

multiple beep

no beep (single target)

beep, if i’m not allucinating (single target)

IF it’s an audio cue please remove it because it literally lead me and others to think their hardware was dying or something

1 Like

Not hearing any beeps in those clips, can you gimme some time stamps so I can double check better?

1st clip on ability activation, right before 5s, 8s

2nd no beep

3rd 2s

can hear clearly with a headset, not on speakers

1 Like

Can confirm that. I couldn’t hear it with the speakers on, headset is just fine. And indeed, that is the beeping I was referring to

1 Like

Okay I thought I was going crazy, then I borrowed some better headphones and upped my volume and could finally hear it. That is so weird, never heard that before.

That is 100% the audio cue for the duration resetting. I was correct @CharAznable, just I didn’t know it also triggered on activating the ability.