Autogun recoil bugged when using controller - bugs

Issue Description:
There seems to be a bug with autoguns when using a controller. When aiming down sites often the recoil kicks up extremely high and no amount of pulling down on the right stick will bring it back to level. You have to stop shooting entirely and let it reset. This doesn’t always happen but it happens more often than it doesn’t. This recoil pattern does not happen when using a mouse and keyboard. I’ve tested it across 3 different autoguns.

I took the above directly from user Streven7’s post in the Gameplay Feedback section; I am simply adding it to Bugs so that hopefully a dev sees it ASAP. This bug makes autoguns completely unusable on controller.
Link to Streven7’s OP:

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use a controller (I used an xbox one controller)
  2. Equip an autogun – either headhunter or infantry (those are the only types I have tried.)
  3. Aim down sights and hold fire if full auto. If using a burst autogun, aim down sites and repeatedly fire. You will see that frequently (though not always), the recoil shoots much further up than intended.

Mission Name (If Applicable):
N/A

Platform:
Steam

Player ID:
Steam name: Clownstabber

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
11/19/2022 - 11/20/2022

Reproduction Rate:
Common (<50%)

Upload Supporting Evidence:
I have since dismantled all of my autoguns, and currently I can’t afford to buy one in the shop – but I will upload video evidence tomorrow.

Upload Console Log:
See above – will replicate issue tomorrow.

Upload darktide_launcher.log:
See above – will replicate issue tomorrow.

4 Likes

I play with a PS4 controller and I have some stuff to add here.

Recoil on autoguns doesn’t seem to be increased so much as you’re unable to fight it. I find that even using hip-fire with autoguns, the camera will be kicked up by the recoil, and I won’t be able to move it back down while the animation is playing. It’s almost manageable in hip-fire but it makes ADS %100 useless.

At first I thought it was a weird interaction with recoil on automatics and aim-assist, but the bolter doesn’t have the issue at all and neither does the accatran or the smg. This suggests to me that it’s a problem with the recoil animation on autogun rifles.

I’m also encountering this issue, using an Xbox controller on pc.

You can see that within 4 rounds my aim goes from center mass to way above the enemy’s head.

2 Likes

Yes 100% please fix this I also noticed that it almost seems to try to auto aim assist to the head but, where it auto aims and where the iron sights are point are off you can be aiming over their head and it still scores a hit. Las Guns seem to be just fine but the auto guns are unusable when using a controller.

This is still an issue 3 months later. I had always thought it was a design choice rather than a bug on controller only.

I had a play around with it and found that if I don’t touch the thumbstick, the issue isn’t severe, it’s only when trying to use the thumbstick to counter the recoil that it kicks upward.

Is it possible the controller look/aim ‘acceleration’ is being applied to the recoil

I noticed and reported as much a while ago. For what it’s worth this is what I’ve found:

• Only happens with ADS, hipfire is fine.

• Affects headhunter and infantry autoguns, braced work fine.

• Happens when either stick is moved.

Until it’s fixed braced autos are the only way to play with the weapon type on controllers.