What are you doing FatShark?

I’m assuming that the May content patch will NOT include any new classes. The only thing they’ve mentioned content wise a new “mission” in the existing Throneside “map”. It seems like if there was ever a time to start drumming up hype (e.g. teasing new classes) to keep people following the game now would be it. But alas there’s been no word on that at all.

6 Likes

I don’t think Hanlon’s razor is applicable here. It takes some really competent designer to make such a frustrating “crafting” system. There was a lot of social science involved, I’m sure of it.

Now, should they be fired because of what they created? Hard to tell. They could have been coerced by management. Maybe they are just as miserable as we are…

4 Likes

I just want a good 40k fps game with lots of gore. How hard can that be to do :cry:

1 Like

maybe someone can mod serious sam with 40k monsters. that what i always have in mind when i play darktide

2 Likes

Exactly this. It’s really short-sighted or missing the point, to think this was done out of incompetency. The entire game’s core design is built around a live-service model, unlike Vermintide 2, so it really does its own thing, and it’s not like they just forgot how to make the same game, or how to properly design a level around a narrative, because the narrative is in the conversations the characters have.

I’ve thought about how annoying the mission system is designed, but I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s meant to be this FOMO way to drive player engagement, as everyone plays the same thing server-side. I don’t know if Fatshark is okay with a 90% drop in playercount in their games and just sticking with a core faithful playerbase while barely releasing content sporadically, but it feels like everything meant to be that way.

Like, how in-game earned cosmetics are generic, whereas premium cosmetics are more tailor-made and even have an actual name of some original character, further driving this idea that we’re all nameless, expendable faces in the conflict. It’s kind of dirty, thinking that all the ‘character’ is reserved for paid cosmetics.

3 Likes

this is why I’ll never buy anything from them. this live service crap that every company Tencent gets it’s dirty hooks into is so frustrating. need a 10Cent tracker so we can avoid anything they touch

5 Likes

damn man, you made me check them out, 10cent owns grinding gears… company that made PoE… now i see where all these ideas are from.

where is eject handle?

2 Likes

Exactly right. They deserve every bit of community backlash they get.

They got my money, hopefully they don’t get any more.

2 Likes

Stay tuned. Going to create a website.

5 Likes
11 Likes

I saw this and immediately pre-ordered this.

Just seems to have the “dumb fun” mechanics I love in video games.

2 Likes

I agree with whole of that statement.

And what I meant was: broken crafting system (locks, no red items, endless perk rerolls), ubiquitous RNG, no currency sinks for Melk and diamantine (I got a few tousand of both on all my 5 characters), no solo mode, bugged blessings and last but not least technical issues (game crashes, server issues, falling out of map, bugged elevators etc.) 6 months after “full release”. Sorry for not naming those things earlier, I thought it was pretty obvious what the main problems of this game were. But instead of fixing those, what players on this forum and on Steam have been asking for since December '22, Fatshark does things like meta-weapon nerfs which in my opinion only forces people to do more grind.

edit: typo

4 Likes

I think it was they wanted the requirements for the penances changed, not restricted to private mode. I think this would be more reasonable IF they had implemented solo mode and better bots. Doing it now is premature.

And with penances where you have to kill a monster by yourself and not have the bots shoot them, they would need to add commands like “cease fire” or something. Otherwise you still need to go on discord or something and beg/annoy strangers.

They ideally should have just changed the penances altogether to different requirements.

5 Likes

I will second this. Ultimately I am pretty sure this simply didn’t need to be time spent but was time spent in order to appeal to the xbawks crowd. It all comes down to the bawks launch. When that happens is when the game decides if its going to live or die.

I have to tell you I think most of that stuff is all red herring too. The RNG is annoying in the extreme and certainly drives down player retention but its tolerable enough and I was able to get every weapon I want more or less at this point. Who cares if I have large stacks of resources. Solo mode is a niche usecase in a multiplayer game but I am not opposed to people getting what they want. Bugs are annoying but not so pervasive that they overwhelm the gameplay at this point.

The entire problem with this game is a lack of content. Its been that way since release. There wasn’t enough on launch and there still isn’t. Its a fun game but there’s not enough content to keep people interested. The only reason I keep coming back is because I just really like hitting things when I am in mission. But I have played every map to absolute death and cannot play the difficulties I want most days. So its a pretty dead experience. I can tolerate bugs, I cannot tolerate having nothing to do.

5 Likes

So was I but 99% of players don’t play that much, get frustrated and leave. This is what I mean by downward spiral.

It certainly is a problem, but it’s obviously something that will take time to resolve, so I don’t mind waiting. I do mind bugs, and I don’t mean an occasional mutant throwing me out of map. I mean blessings not working since launch! It’s been 6 months, for crying out loud, that’s just ridiculous! And stuff like 500 perk re-rolls just to get a perk you would eventually get anyway, why am I forced to use mods?

Blessings/perks locks are there just to make players grind more, and you will never get that perfect weapon. I don’t need a perfect weapon, but certain weapons only work with certain blessings, and that is just a d1ck move by the developers. And you might never get the blessings/perk combination you want, that’s so frustrating.

I don’t know what is going on behind the scenes, is it 10cent trying to milk Fatshark to oblivion or something else. I am done giving Fatshark the benefit of a doubt, and so are many players.

2 Likes

The entire problem with this game is a lack of content. Its been that way since release

This is most of the problem right here. That combined with the fact they lock (or likely will lock) content behind paywalls with no way to unlock via gameplay drives many new players off quickly.

Those have stuck with it thus far and are generally in it for the one thing keeping this game afloat: gameplay. But even that starts to get stale after running the same maps/objectives a million times with no real game-changing content drops in sight or real run variety.

I suspect we’ll see some player spikes after updates, but realistically, I think people will move on to other games as Fatshark continues to ignore community requests and fails to deliver meaningful content releases.

4 Likes

I have reached an ascended state where my expectations and trust level for fatshark do not waver from 0 but I still can enjoy the game and its content for what it is.

I think that is about right. I’m certainly shopping around for another title. But it is possible the May patch could have enough interesting stuff to keep me engaged. I certainly hope so.

Darktide has the potential to be one of the greatest games ever made. But they need to not be shy about going hard on giving the player base what they want in terms of 40k classes. Where’s my deathcult assassin class? How about skitarii and tech priest class? How about sisters of battle? 1 class per quarter would have been incredible two quarters ago. But if we get one in May or even June that will set the proper tone for go-forwards development and I will change my outlook on darktide to favorable.

3 Likes

I miss Twitch 200 mode :frowning:

oh, its not so bad. We’ll live.

how can you possibly even come up with such a crazy theory as fatshark adding a new subclass to the game when they cant even add a difficulty/condition chooser. besides whats even the point of playing new classes if you have to play low intensity damnation with them?

1 Like