I only see one other thread on the subject, which surprises me.
They are placed so frequently and so obnoxiously that some will even force you to die or remain trapped because they effectively force you outside of the level with only death as a way off the “ledge” because you can’t walk back across perfectly traversable flat terrain.
Honestly, it feels like Saltzpyre himself went over every single level zealously placing invisible walls on EVERYTHING where it was logical, practical or not, or prevented anything that was even possible. Yet did such a poor job, in many places the one-way invisible wall is placed before the edge of where they are placed causing players to be trapped out on a ledge with only an illogical invisible wall stopping it.
I’ve tried to minimise the rant here but honestly, bots are fraying my sanity and some degree of a hyperbolic rant for comedic effect was needed.
Also, the use of invisible bounding boxes in this game has long confused/annoyed the ever-loving umgak out of me.
- Some things have an overly complicated collision box where they don’t need to, often causing bugs and issues with being stuck in the world.
- Some things have no collusion that you’d expect to.
- Some things have an invisible wall where it would have been so simple to close in the actual level in that area. Good old visible walls are a better option.
- Some things are a jumping puzzle
- Some things aren’t a jumping puzzle yet look more like one than half the jumping puzzles, the difference is invisible walls or missing collision).
I’ve no experience with Bitsquid/Stingray as an engine, so maybe this is a quirk of the engine, or maybe it’s a time/manpower issue, but, (to quote Kerillian) it drains my sanity.