Spillway boss criticism

The new boss is really cool I like it. The biggest issue it has is the telegraph for the green AoE is really bad because it blends with the environment too well. My friend with synesthesia struggles a lot with trying to avoid it because of it. If any modders are able to create their better visuals for it (like Nurgloth’s) that would be great.

Second big issue is it feels uninteractive as someone mostly playing in melee. The boss flies around out of range and literally pushes the player away for trying to hit it in melee outside of its designated “ok im down you can hit me now” moment.

Yeah, if I’m honest, a lot of my failures so far have been of the “I can’t actually tell which part of the floor is the part I need to get to, oh no, it’s not that part, now I’m dead” variety.

having seen the pattern before in a different game i was discord-yelling
" OUTER MIDDLE SHIiT-FAN INNER "
most of the time like a director from his crane-chair thing with a megaphone :joy:

“and now…kiss…” :rofl:

after the first phase with the floor penises it did start on the outer ring every time for me so far.
guess id call it a nurgle line dance, once your in the rhythm its just following the routine.

I agree that the visuals on the circles could be made more easy to distinguish visually in the heat of battle. Especially when you’re already surrounded and there might be tox bombers, or rotten armor clouds, or just tons of enemies around.

In the heat of battle this inner circle could be easily mistaken for a safe zone as there appears to be a drop in the intensity of the green.

It can also be difficult to see when the safe zone is the outermost ring at the edge of the fighting arena if you’re standing near the boss, since the floor out there is slightly elevated relative to your position so you’ll be looking for it at a very flat angle. You often can’t even see it.

I really like the level itself, but dislike the boss, I’m not a huge fan of those sourcerer bosses from VT2 either. I think Twins Orthus Offensive fight has way better pacing.

Yea the way that the AoE gradually becomes more visible is a bit of an issue for the inner ring for sure. I learned how to best deal with it after 2 or 3 games but still misleading for first timers and for my friend w/ synesthesia.


The outermost edge is also kinda bad in visibility, had to call it out each time in VC.

No please don’t! Then FS won’t fix it! I want FS to fix this as it’s a huge problem and caused 7 wipes yesterday, all in the same spot.

Very much agree. I had run out of ammo on one run and just had to sit there like a lemon, not being able to attack.

Same. It is not what you need at the very, very end of the mission.

I definitely died to this a few times yesterday. Does that bit never become safe then? So you can’t melee him at all in this stage?

No, he gets exhausted and drops to one knee. That’s when you can hit him!

so he’s asking for the bolter to the face argument.
but indeed, it’s much of a visual chaos.

And the green stuff on the floor clears?

It’s very confusing and a huge mistake if you get it wrong as the green stuff kills faster than fire.

Yes! When he takes a knee, the green substance around him is already gone!

A few seconds after the green AoE “explodes” it’s still visible but doesn’t affect you anymore, there’s a specific timing to it so you can still attack the boss safely unless it has the pink aura that pushes you away.

Orthus Offensive deserves to be on the mission board, it’s fun :raised_fist:

Valid lol, it’s been almost 4 years and they still haven’t put Numeric UI in the game.

clear as mud then :joy:

I don’t recall ever seeing him in that stage (whilst in the middle) without the pink aura.

Perhaps they should have used spikes or vines instead of goop…something with a distinct visual appearance.

Four years? Damn… we’re getting old bois and gals…

2/3 with randoms but my loss was with the worst team ever (all died to the first ring, guess they went in raw?) and I was vet, so it was a horrible backfoot to start with. Vet would definitely be strong late in the fight where ranged has so many more chances to hit him. Feels overly long though. 170% more HP than the 200k or whatever he has on auric in H40 is starting to feel like raid gameplay, especially with boss mob adds there.

Yeah, I think that sums it up well.

At least with Orthus Offensive, you can skip most of the mission and play just the actual fight to learn it (and more of what’s going on is familiar from regular captains).

Going through an entire mission to get one chance to fight a boss with difficult to read attacks is going to make it frustrating to learn without actually going and watching Youtube guides.

I don’t think having the option to entirely skip the mission necessarily adds up (it’s a much more substantive mission than Orthus), but actually having a “checkpoint” before the fight where teams could take another try or two would probably reduce the frustration a lot.

2 for 2 losses on damnation. Both times he had less than 10% health left.
It’s kinda frustrating, not going to lie.

After testing it a few times in Auric, the margin for error is still absurdly high, Ogryn and Arbites can use their high survivability to directly tank these mechanics.

I’ve faced it in both Havoc 39 and 40, and it was a much better fight.

That said, I do agree about the visual effects issues. Fatshark has always been terrible in terms of visibility.

The boss fight is sick, but it needs an actual mission to accompany it before it’d actually get played on the mission board.