Skulls for the Skull Throne Event

All this drama over a 200x200 pixel image with a hollow center.

No wonder your empire is on it’s knees!

1 Like

Either one of two things should happen IMO:
You should be able to get all holiday rewards each year even if they are old ones OR
Old holiday frames and old holiday art should be put into the shilling shop.

2 Likes

Talking about art, I’m collecting it for nothing now.

I get the sense that FS were finally back on the front foot after WoM firefighting, only to be put back on their ar$e by Covid.

1 Like

I just wish there were more events. It feels like, since I started on the beta, that the events have been very few and far between. Its like PoE’s event tab, always bloody empty! Warframe is a good example of a game with event shtuff done right. There is ALWAYS an event of some kind, even a minor one, in Warframe.

1 Like

Is that really a good thing though? Seems like you wouldn’t be able to take a break from the game without feeling like you’re missing out on something.

There is always a fear of missing out but Im playing on PS4 right now and we didnt even get the recent (edit) Heroes Unite for 500 million kills event at all :sob:

Id be ok missing out, knowing there are events to miss out on in the first place. Its just super disappointing to log in to any game with an events tab, only to never actually have any events :imp:

Is that something for Warframe? Or do you mean the 500 million kills, Heroes Unite?

Sorry, my bad for not being clear or correct, I meant the 500 million kills Heroes Unite V2 event.

Then you did get it. It tracked kills on all platforms, and the frame will be included in the next update.

Really? If so thats good news. I didnt think we got it since there was nothing mentioned on the PS4 anywhere but honestly, if this really is the case, however good, I still didnt feel like I was part of any event as the event box was barren throughout the Heroes Unite event. While I have taken long breaks from V2, I have yet to actually see anything in the event box, ever (been playing since PC beta)

I just feel the events tab is always empty and Vermintide isnt the only game to have this problem. Most games with events have the same issue and they all say the same stuff like “No Events Right Now, Check Back Soon”

The weekly could also do with some love. The Bogen chests are great, but more weekly quest types would also be welcome. If these things rotate, there wouldnt really be any fomo either.

Still, the new Castle levels and emporium are set to arrive on PS4 soon so we will see if that shakes things up a bit :smiley:

Yeah, it was a bit special this one. I don’t think we had it in the event tab on PC either.

The “all platforms” part was in the announcement post

and then we had this counter to see the progress made

https://www.vermintide.com/counter

Anyways, this is getting a bit off topic I think.

2 Likes

The PS4 was included in that event yep! It wasn’t an in-game even t hence nothing in the event tab. You should have seen the counter on all loading screens though?

2 Likes

Ah yes! Forgot about that.

Yea, the point is that you can still get the frame if you really wanted to, unlike the other ones, and that it was a contest about creativity and not just being there at a certain time (even if it wasnt that “hard” to do, thing just is that only a few got it initially.) But that is indeed true!

The best thing about that is that I play Saltzpyre most of the time ; )

1 Like

Oi, thanks for your thoughts!

I think a consensus of some sort would be quite favourable here. Of course, the veterans are in fact still in the main focus of this. And I never even intended it otherwise. The point im trying to present here is that forming a new incentive for other players would be a good opportunity to increase playtime and make more players return and stick with the game, thus benefit it as a whole, while still partially retaining the exclusivity of timed- events for all veterans. The consensus I submit is the following:

Exclusive Frames should not be removed from the game, as, as you already said, they are a great incentive to get players to buy and play the game regularly in the early stages of it and thus enable it to grow. However, fusing this with some other criterias would be quite interesting.
Now, you may ask yourself, why even put this idea into action and not just leave it as it is?

1. Why? As Zoso and others also mentioned, timed events and their respective rewards are a great filler in between long breaks of content release, as they, combined with the sales that are situationally present, too, increase the incentive to play the game quite efficiently. Reintroducing these frames as a way to make people return to the game wouldnt require any special, additional effort, unlike DLC’s and patches. This would obviously help to keep the community engaged in times like these, where the rate of new content release is already slow and there is a serious dearth of content, as Argonaut14 nicely put it, as it would partially serve as a recompansational force of that (not blaming the devs here).
  • The average player rate has significantly degraded in the last 30 days, to about -20% now, after a lot of people returned to play the “Heroes, Unite!” Event (150M. Kills) this april. Thus, something new is needed to keep the people engaged and interested in the game, and I’m obviously not talking about literal new content as in DLC’s. This limited reintroduction of frames would be a efficient tool to increase the playerbase without actually having to spend a tremendous amount of time on creating and planning the release of entirely new content. This would bind the timed event- exclusivity to the competence of players through limited, hard challenges, in turn creating a whole new category of gameplay incentives without putting too much work into it.
  1. How? Naturally, these frames shouldnt be available at all times or through easy tasks, as they would loose their flavour this way. Instead, they should remain tied to their respective events and be earned through sheer hard work, like completing the special weekly event on legend 10 times, to further encourage new gameplay, or completing a certain amount of cataclysm runs to prove their dedication and prowess through these arduous tasks.
  • So, veterans have and keep the benefit and exclusivity to be among the first few who got these frames and that they were the original ones who could equip and own them while new players will be punished because they didn’t buy the game early on, and are presented with only 1 chance to get some of these frames again. With this, they will maybe even await a event in the future JUST because of a certain frame they desire and thus keep playing the game. So essentially, time limited exclusivity still retains it’s initial value and shine for 2 full years while players from late 2018 and so on will get 1 and only 1 chance to reacquire these frames through more work and increased effort while veterans will simply receive them for being there and helping the playerbase grow. The punishment of not having the frame still remains present while the frames are still actively used in order to amplify the playerbase as a whole years later after their launch.
  1. Clearly, these frames depict the time the player has been playing the game. There is nothing bad in that, though, as it is the sole and core function of these frames: to serve as a reinforcing mechanism to encourage early participation in the game. Does that mean that they could and should never under any circumstances be available again for a short time? And as you already pointed out earlier, the acquisiton of these frames is still the same after all these years, and thus are not necessarily earned through competence. And this is completely fine, as there are other frames for that. There are of course exceptions, as in the players that got these frames and didnt play the game since then, that form a chunk of wasted potential, but that isn’t a big of a deal as it’s still the same case today.
  • Does the frame just loose ALL of its meaning due to some players getting it? Sure, you want it to be and remain special, and thats understandable. Yes, you all made the game grow and helped to form it up, but does all of that commitment just fade away if some similarly devoted players will claim the frame as well? With all due respect, I understand your worries and complaints. Through an agreement, newer players would still be punished to have to wait and to complete more arduous and harder challenges and provided only 1 chance after 2 years to reclaim these frames. And by this, only the more competent and dedicated players will get them, as not just anyone can complete a bunch of legend and cataclysm runs with this unique modifier. In these 2 full years, you will have the benefit of being the only ones who own these frame, indicating that you are the original ones and that you didn’t have to spend a grand amount of time on acquiring them, while the reintroduction would motivate a whole lot of players to play the game repeatedly, because even if they wouldnt get the frame, the challenge, and thus the new incentive, is still there.

I take full responsability for not attaining this frame and I’m certainly not trying to blame or condemn anyone that has been there earlier than me and others, far from it actually, I think veterans command and deserve a certain respect and should thus be rewarded, as they helped to shape the game into what it is today.

And with that, their rewards should not just be fully diminished through adding these exclusive items into the game for free and for every single person to get them, as they would loose all of their meaning and degrade into a equivalent of a recruit- completion frame. And that is indeed wrong. On the other hand, dedicated players that have desired this frame remain punished and will have to await the limited return of the frame, will return to the game, play it regularly and thus, the general incentive to play it will be increased, as they wont just get it for some minor efforts, like the other, current ones. This consensus would provide a fair balance to veterans and newer players alike and would increase the playtime as a whole.

Be glad to hear each of your opinions on this, what you might improve about it and hope that we can come to an agreement soon, thanks to all of you for the responses, Cheers.

The means of earning the frames has to have some consistency and value to it. Whenever I see a Legend Frame for completing FoW I automatically think “probably cheesed it” - justified or not.

Also the frame for getting all of Legend Helmgart Challenges I also think “Got that before WoM when everything was easier.” - also not fair on those who have done it since WoM (How did you do Convocation-stay-in-the-pool???).

Timed frames are therefore a good way of rewarding people for playing the game, without making them cheeseable or recruit-run stuff.

As an aside I think there should be different levels of award for side-quests. Getting all Chalices in Enchanters Lair on Legend should give you something more than at recruit.

BUT

If player retention is dropping and a community event really got people engaged (I know I got stuck in with Tzeentch Twins and so on) then surely community events that are timed with frames as rewards is a very effective method on all fronts.

2 Likes

A solution would be too add the same frame, but make it a little bit distinguisable so it doesn’t really get devalued but it still looks to the same.

So the players worrying about other not recognizing their achievements will be happy, and the new players who want to get the same frame are still kinda happy i guess. I don’t really know how we could find a solution otherwise.

A solution is also for fatshark to add content a little bit faster so we don’t have time to think about that one exclusive frame. It’s honestly a content drought that makes it so those things become an issue i feel, but i might be completely wrong aswell.

4 Likes

As long as people who already have the original frame can’t get these new modified frames, I like this suggestion. Otherwise it would be a bother for completionists depending on how and how often they were re-released. Portraits also take space in the inventory and works towards the inventory limit, so that’d be another reason for only being able to have one of them.

If the exclusive frames are made available through the emporium, the frames could have a small shilling mark on them. If they are made available through subsequent events, they could have a number on them. You got the frame the second time it was made available, it would have the number 2 on it for example.

2 Likes

It is indeed very important that the acquisituion remains consistent. The only problem is that some players will always be seeking for a way to cheese the game and exploit its mechanics no matter what the devs would do.

And with the premise that the challenges must be completed on certain, harder difficulties and perhaps even certain maps (–> act1, act 3 etc.), so they cant just recruit cheese or use exploits, like the battlewizard teleports, to go through a map in like 2 minutes, in order to complete these challenges, would be a good way of preventing this instability and inconsistency among the acquisiton and make sure only a couple, utterly devoted players will claim them.

And at the same time, it would give many a new incentive to train harder for this reward, which is very much needed in these times.

In general, such events tend to be a great motivational forces, so I’m really wondering when Games Workshop will make the ‘Skulls for the Skull Throne’ event available again.

I’d rather have more character specific frames too, and weapon specific.

Running as RV with Greataxe on Legend times or something rewards you with a cool Ranger Frame. Running Merc with Exe sword gets you some kind of default NPC style boring frame as bloody everyone runs merc, exe sword (or so it feels).

It might make people try new weapons at least.

The information that FRAMES take up an inventory slot. Is this true? Do they count towards your inventory?

If so right there is areason to NOT flood the place with frames, which would royally suck.

3 Likes