Rending discrepancy

Issue Type (Required):

Blessings

Issue Description (Required):

In patch #13 you mentioned that rending above 100% would give a dmg increase of 4:1 and in #15.2 (Traitor Curse Part2) you mention that rending is capped at 100% and doesnt give any benefits above 100%. But you never mentioned changing what you stated in #13, so what is it?

Steps to Reproduce (Required):

ruthless backstab IV, do a backstab, note down dmg
now repeat the same process but skill +10% rending in the vet middle tree for example, and note down dmg.

According to patch #13 the dmg should increase by 2.5%

Reproduction Rate (Required):

Constant (100%)

Platform (Required):

PC - Steam

Even in Patch#13, the extra damage from 100+% rending never applied.

And more recently, FS stated that all rending effects cap off at 100%.

You still want rending to be present in skilltrees even when you can get past 100% as that lessens the need to get so lucky with blessings etc. + there are scenarios in which you won’t hit 100% rending.

2 Likes

Then FS should come clean and correct the statement made in #13.
What is also confusing is, that in the code there is an actual calculation present for this whole ordeal.
The armor_settings.lua, damage_profile.lua and the damage_calculation.lua all have code in place that can calculate that stuff.

Its just too complex for me to actually get the correct parameters to call the functions in a debugger and see what the function returns

2 Likes

To my understanding rending increases your weapon’s armour modifier up to 100% (ie full damage) and then gives bonus damage in a 4:1 ratio when rending takes you over the 100% armour multiplier. However no weapon has a 0% armour multiplier at base, so you never need +100% rending to reach a 100% armour multiplier.

So rending does go above 100% in that rending beyond 100% armour multiplier gives a little bonus damage, but you can’t get more than 100% rending as a bonus. I’ll try to explain clearer here with an example.

Say your weapon has a 40% multiplier against carapace at base. 60% rending will make it hit a 100% multiplier against carapace. Beyond that you only get 1% more multiplier per 4% rending. So say now you had 100% rending. The first 60% takes you to 100% multiplier then the next 40% you get as bonus damage but only 1/4, so in total you are now at 110% multiplier against carapace. Now if you stack even more rending beyond this it simply doesn’t do anything, because rending is capped at 100%

I’m not sure this is completely correct but it fits with what FS has said and what I’ve heard from others.

There is some weird stuff with rending I’ve noticed like uncanny strike not increasing damage against infested enemies at all which is odd since eg dagger has less than 100% armour multiplier against infested base so should at least be increased to the damage it does on unarmoured enemies.

1 Like

tldr: don’t work on unarmored and infested

1 Like

tested it on carapace and flak, so that doesnt matter

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.