While I read these changes in the patch notes, in the midst of trying havoc, their real significance flew past me.
- Increased damage falloff:
- Dreg Gunner increased from 15m to 30m.
- Scab Gunner increased from 15 to 35m.
- Lowered reduction from 0.6 to 0.5.**
- Ogryn Reaper increased from 15 to 25.
- Lowered reduction from 0.6 to 0.2.**
After returning to auric I noticed the toughness bars would vanish at a much faster rate than usual, making me wonder if they accidentally brought some of the havoc modifiers there by mistake.
But it’s just that what those patch notes mean is - very broadly - that shooters do twice the damage they did before at common engagement distances.
In general I really dislike these changes, as they effectively turn the game into a (poorly designed at that) cover shooter: that’s the same critique of havoc, to a smaller degree.
I’m sure this thread will devolve pretty quickly in an argument between the players that say the game’s too easy and those that disagree, but I wanna focus on why I believe this is not a fun change, and suggest some fixes, as gunner tuning is definitely something FS is trying to do (first adding, then removing pushback).
I’m not sure if this applies to stalkers as well, but I find myself having to pay more attention to these types of enemies than specials and 1HKO melee enemies, and while that makes some sense, it’s not where the fun of tide games lie (I’m reminded of early days ungor archers feedback).
It’s not like we don’t have some hard counters (bubble, chorus etc) but gunners where already a high treath, this just makes the game feel more oppressive.
Here comes the constructive criticism:
Their shooting on the move’s good!
Mass changes are good, I think.
Removing pushback from shotgunners is also good, it made the game feel too much like pinball, to quote the patch notes.
I’d reapply it to gunners though, it made sliding into them head on a riskier move, and I think that makes sense.
I’d remove the remaining gunner changes though (and to stalkers, if it applies to them as well).
The Reaper part is better though, they were too much of a joke. I’d definitely keep the dropdown distance change, heck, I’d even increase it, but I think the damage behind that distance is too severe atm. Those are not accurate weapons used by highly skilled veterans.
EDIT: also, on the matter of differenciating scabs from dregs, 5 meters is not gonna make a noticeable difference, have scabs have twice the effective range of the others, now that’s noticeable (considering the rest of my post though I’m not sure how I’d wanna do it, maybe tweak the damage dropoff instead)