Ogryn power maul, frustration build in a weapon

First of all, I’m not saying that the weapon is bad, I’m not using it enougth to make that claim.

But having to slow down to basic walk in order to slowy activate it then hope to make one, slow hit before it run out of juice is a really miserable feeling.
Sure the control is great and the damage against armour is fine, but you can already do similare control with other weapon and you’re still so slow to use it that zealot and other will have kill the mauler before you touch him.

I know weapon charging is part of the game, but could it be possible to activate the power maul while runing or sliding like with most other energy weapons so it can be use as an opening instead of standing still near the target, then activating it?

TL/DR: the weapon isn’t bad but it feel so slow to use.

6 Likes

Having to slow down to a crawl to activate this weapon, the thunder hammer, and the zealot power maul shouldn’t be a thing. These weapons are not even like the power sword, their specials last for one single attack and don’t wipe hallways clean.

4 Likes

I agree, even for consistency around all power weapons.
But it’s wrong to compare Ogryn power maul to the powersword, they serve different porpuses.

yes I don’t intend for the power maul to be able to strick as hard on multiple target or anything, only for it to charge faster and without slow down.

I’m fine with the charge time tbh. Feels fair since it’s going to be a big boink. And balancewide would be pretty OP if the power mechanic could be used in every situation, but i agree that the slowdown makes no sense and is unnecessary.

Zelot thunder hammer on the other hand would be better with a lower activation time.

1 Like

honestlyI was hoping for the bonk to be more damaging on the main target but that’s fine as it is I guess, it just that I rarely see a reason to use it instead of a bullbutcher that will handle the swarm better and uppercut to oblivion heavy armored ennemies until someone else kill it.

As for thunderhammer, I can live with the activation time but I would like for it to be able to go through one unarmed random before doing its big explosion damage so its easier to target ennemisin a big mele and more important, to get ride of the knockback.

The slowdown when charging is the entire reason why I wrote off the power maul for my ogryn. Activate it and it feels like you’re suddenly wading through molasses. It feels like the weapon is fighting you instead of working for you.

1 Like

agree, either you are in close combat and you will take a hit charging it or you are three or four feet back and someone else will do your job while you activate it.

I’m fine with the attack speed. What I find annoying is the combination of the attack angles, and the need to look down to hit targets. Enemies also have an ability to literally stand in your hitbox. It feels like Ogryn should have longer melee attack range as well, just look at those arms.

In short:

• you shouldn’t need to look down so much to hit things in the front of you
  • melee attack range should be longer
  • enemies should stop being able to stand in your hitbox or walk through you in general.
1 Like

I hated this weapon when I first got it. Had to force myself to use it a bunch to figure out when where and how to use it.

Power Maul is one of Ogryn’s better melee weapons. Its horde clear is abysmal, but the charge up attack can clutch a sketchy melee situation With how much control it has.

The slowdown while charging is brutal, so I’m pretty much in agreement with everyone in the thread. You can try dodge sliding to counter it, but it’s very unforgiving.

1 Like

The Power sword doesn’t suffer from such a big slowdown on activation, and everybody, including FatShark, knows it’s kinda OP.

So why are other Power weapons, which don’t have quite the same potential as the Power Sword, so slow to activate ? Makes no sense.

I find what you said very interesting because for me it’s hard to find some use for the bullbutcher, i guess this could be heavily dependent on the rolls and blessings, but the skullbraker has so many good ranged options that take care of hordes much better than melee. So i use my bonkstik mostly to kill elites.
If you get lucky with stats perks and blessings you can 4shot crushers and 3shot all other elites. Even if it will never deal enormous damage in a horde, spamming heavies will crowd control it very well, keep you topped up in toughness and give you space to pull out your ranged to clear them ( if there isn’t a powersword, flamer or purgatus to already take care of that )

You really can’t. That special attack is just about unparalleled in what it’s able to stagger lock.

I’m almost certain you can activate it during a slide to cover most of the slowdown. You can also dodge slide freely while doing it which pretty much removes any mobility limitation.

That said, while it is extremely powerful and you can absolutely negate the slowdown with dodge slides, I do agree it’s needlessly clunky and achieves nothing. I’d be perfectly happy for the them to remove the slowdown.

3 Likes

Its not the slow down I think its the fact you can do nothing after pressing the button… you should be able to use it while it charges even if its to knock-back enemies then onces its charged u can hit something…

the fact that alot of ogyrns attacks need a rev up gives too much clunky for relative output… I dont know how to give an ogryn the feeling of being big unless i focus on his stagger effect he knocks everthing down but I think we lack the single target killing power we crave and for that we need more weapons

Off topic but it’s because Vet is their baby and they know the majority of people were going to play it.

They also knew if they didn’t give the class that mostly shoots things an Uber easy to use melee weapon and it instead represented a class weakness that the complaints would be endless.

You look at the design of various classes and you get a general idea of which ones they put a lot of time into / had a lot of time to work on and which ones they didn’t.

Back to the topic at hand I would kill for a power cycling power maul. It doesn’t make a ton is sense why the animation is so slow when you are literally just hitting a button. It makes reacting to anything with speed feel super bad on the otter power weapons when the function is mostly there as an emergency against large enemies or at times hordes.

It feels like another one of those heavy handed anti speed run mechanics like the dodge/stamina/slide all using the same resource (even though dodges also have their own cooldowns). It also makes ‘using’ these weapons pretty boring imo. Power maul is even pretty nerfed vs billy club in terms of damage, it has identical L3/L4s but its L1/L2 are way worse than billy L3 and its 2 heavies are weaker than club’s big swing despite having slightly better hit mass by 1.1. Slide helps but it needs to be inputted almost at the same time as the activation or you’ll still dead stop.

Something I tend to do with all power weapons is to slide either forward to close in or dodge slide to avoid attacks. It can somewhat help with the slowdown on charge. The power maul I find extremely strong though. Combine it with more attack speed and youll be staggering everything with no care of anything around you…except bosses. Still testing with ogryn for a build. =)

if it were my choice id change power wepons to having a very short play anywhere charge up animation phase and limit them instead by charges , 2 charge pool , 4-6 second recovery time - edit the power sword is so broken it really needs ignoring for now - this is just for everyhting else powered

id give the psykers brain burst the same treatment

id also swap the “chain” weapons to have a fuel tank system , give them a large pool that slowly refills while not using the special mode , which is now a toggle on/off and it drains fuel at a constant rate - side note i think chain weapons should have a stacking rending ability in this mode.

i just dont think its fun or a good way to balance these things with a front end pause. it is like a dissincentive to use rather than a decision when to.

When it come to horde I would rather use a shield or just squash it with bull butcher than waite for the maule to load. But you are right for big armored guy in groups.

I’m almost certain you can activate it during a slide to cover most of the slowdown. You can also dodge slide freely while doing it which pretty much removes any mobility limitation.

I though it would be but no, you immediatly get out of your slide if you start loading the energy.

I guess it depend on how you like to play, but I feel like every class in the game is better than skullbreaker at handling elite at close range so I prefer not to try at all to kill them and just stun them until someone else do it. I don’t see the use of a weapon four shotting a crusher if the zealot can pass by and two shot it before my third hit ^^.
up to now my main use of the power maul is as a close range rumbler where I just clear a path for someone else to target the big guys.