New difficulty

This still doesn’t need a new difficulty, you can do these on all of them, just like it was done with stagger and dodge.

The difficulty is already there, just enable Cata 2,3, and onslaught in offical done.

From my own experience , moving onto Cata difficulty meant switching to boring gameplay. Same goes for the higher weaves. Me and my group did not enjoy it at all so we went back to Legend playing a more open and fun style where you can freely leap into combat situations here and there instead of just doing the full block team stagger aoe style / turtle mode.

Stagger might have been a good idea but i think there are more options to balance the game. Just some spontanious ideas would be to change the behaviour of block costs and stamina on higher difficulties forcing players to find a better balance between offense and defense while making a bigger distinction between tank and damage dealing careers. In this scenario a rework of damage dealt and taken would be needed aswell. On top of that some more solid mechanics of managing enemy aggro could help designing some more interesting scenarios opening some room for decision making.

Right now , highest difficulties are aiming for the very defensive and safe play instead of challenging decision making. My thoughts are that higher difficulties should challenge the players to a better understanding of each role/class and proper decision making handling offense and defense. Not just forcing all players and careers into super defense with gimmicky ways to work your way trough the battlefield.

1 Like

This is why I have brought up Difficulty Specific Enemies where starting from either Champion or Legend you can have a chance to come across a foe that the Skaven/Norsca/Beastmen personally sent after you.

The potential for new tactics and gameplay as opposed to just turtling is far more interesting then merely increasing enemy numbers and stat increases.

However such an addition would be a ton of work and I have little confidence that it would be done well and without a lot of bugs/glitches/imbalances.

1 Like

Cataclysm isn’t bad. You can be pretty aggressive and do some fun stuff. It’s not block-oriented at all. Higher weaves are more defense oriented though. When I played some of the weaves, I couldn’t stand holding block any longer than what was necessary. You can do more than hold block, but most people probably don’t want to take the risk so they play the absolute safest methods possible in order to try and get them done.

I’ve seen a lot of ways people play this game and I’ve seen defensive be effective at times, but I’ve also seen very aggressive be exceptionally effective too. Especially on Cataclysm and stuff. Having even one team mate help enable you or others can do wonders. That could be by that team mate using a shield, controlling enemies. Or killing a lot of the specials. Killing elites. Defending you while you ranged. Etc. There are a lot of ways to enable someone besides the standard “tank” support. Even Ranger Vet can be pretty great at supporting the team and enabling them.

That’d be really cool because it’d be less intense for people who don’t want to deal with all that stuff, but it’d introduce new elements for people who want a greater challenge. I’m a strong advocator of “strategy, tactics, and skill” versus just raw stat increases when it comes to increasing difficulty. I was worried about Cataclysm(stat wise) for a bit but they’ve gotten it to a fairly sweet spot, I think. Twitch and Deeds are definitely door openers for challenge. I seriously hope when they do a deed rework, it has at least as much customization or more as the Twitch 2.0 got.

Just think about it. Twitch 2.0 is pretty great so far and can allow people to scale what sort of challenge they want to get from it. Now if you add a second element that has a bunch of customization and variety for challenge, you have the whole meal. You have your steak, potatoes, and salad. I just really hope the deed rework is done well.

2 Likes

And coming sooner rather than lather.
I know, i know, those might contradict each other, but i remember from stream that Marten was asked about deed rework and gave an answer like ‘Yeah we know, we will, but not soon.’
Deducing from all his reactions to questions given this might not even be on the top 5 of important things to do for FS, although a very heavily community-requested update.

I reckon it might be in Season 5, tbh. Season 4 could be possible, but i don’t have my hopes high up. The new classes will get a lot of focus and another map pack is going to happen too (Either a new one or Karak Azgaraz, they know people want it and have mentioned it).
The more i think about it, the more i like the seasons… weird, huh? It means we are getting extensive updates every 3-4 months instead of the 5+ months ‘silence’ we had between launch and Bögenhafen and between BtÜ and WoM.
Sorta more streamlined, more dedicated effort to give the players something to do with less downtime than before. Hmm…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.