Lucius Pattern Helbore Lasguns: Stab, Stab, Slash?

The Death Korps of Krieg are my favourite Imperial Guard regiment and have been since Forgeworld first produced them so many years ago. As such the Lucius pattern lasgun is a weapon I have a soft spot for and I rather like how they have been implemented for the most part, although the sights on the Mk I & II are a bit weird with all that flat top of the lasgun to distract the eye. Playing around with all three marks of lasgun, I can see the difference they have but there is one thing that annoys me: bayonets.

The Mk I and Mk II versions both utilise a stab, which is sensible; a quick, thrusting attack relying on the point to cause damage rather than the edge. The Mk III, however, has a slashing attack animation which is, to me, quite odd. I have all three at the moment at three different gear levels (Mk I & II: Exalted, 411 and 419 respectively, Mk III: Transcendant, 490) and whilst testing them out the Mk III did more damage with its bayonet. But its animation is slow and it is pretty much the same speed for me to switch to the Power Sword and start making light chain attacks quicker than the Mk III’s bayonet slashing attack.

For consistency, please change the Mk. III’s bayonet attack to a thrust like its sibling Lucius Helbore lasguns. If I, as a player, wanted more damaging attacks outside of an ‘Oh no!’ emergency situation where a quick stab may be needed, I will be switching to my dedicated melee weapon rather than using this lasgun’s tedious animation which defeats the point of having the bayonet as an emergency tool.

Also, as the old adage goes, point beats edge.

Alternatively, particularly with regards to the Power Supply Interruption mission mutator, perhaps we could have the Mk III lose its bayonet and gain a torch so that there is at least one variant of the Helbore that can be taken on such missions.

3 Likes

I have to agree. The Mk I’s bayonet stab is kinda funny and amusing to use, and can be handy in a pinch; the Mk III’s slash is so useless that it’s actively more harmful to me than just switching to me melee. (I haven’t had a chance to use the Mk II yet, though I’m hesitant to invest in a Lucius when they’re so heavily overshadowed by the Kantrael MG XIII)

2 Likes

Love the reference.

2 Likes