Introduction to the Itemization Rework - Dev Blog

The only confusing thing is having to find the base weapon and build that up but apart from that it’s all positive changes that covers most of the questions I have.

Unironically good job

12 Likes

Let’s skip a few paragraphs with vile corporate lies and…

1. Mastery looks tempting, though ONLY on the condition that there will be NO more random drops. That is, there are all the weapons, and our task is simply to play with them (like COD or some other shooters).

2. Expertise. If I understand correctly, this is a reroll of random stats. Another stupid roulette to drain resources.

3. Trinkets were not included in the deal. Understand.

A little better than it was… but it’s not enough.

The result is that it took almost two years to TAKE CARE of the freedom of players with locks.
But the most important thing! No RED weapons!

10 Likes

A new dev blog ALREADY?!?! You guys are seriously knocking it out of the park!

6 Likes

Some clarification that might be needed here:

So every weapon we buy/earn has a random-ish stat cap, and our Mastery of that weapon’s family (so autoguns, shotguns, etc) lets us build that up via expertise?

5 Likes

So… I’m a bit confused here. Half of the post feels like we will just have a leveling system, but this is implying the we will still have weapons as drops/loot/from shop or whatever.

@FatsharkStrawHat does this mean we will still have multiple weapons (of the same type) to build out?

8 Likes

I like the direction this is going as a whole. Building experience and crafting towards specific weapon’s Mastery gives a sense of roleplay through the progression system.

I love earnable cosmetics, so adding in a few weapon skins to really show off your an expert at wielding or crafting that weapon type would be a great addition in the progression tree.

I’m looking forward to this and I hope a some unique weapon skins are cooked up for this much anticipated future update. <3

8 Likes

I don’t understand how it will work with Melk/Brunt stores, but I am intrigued to find out myself.

4 Likes

This is excellent and re-vitalizes my excitement for Darktide!
Seeing as this won’t be out for a while (months?) , how’s about a midstep preamble update of letting us kill 10K enemies with a weapon type, Pay 5K diamantine and BOOM lock 3 is gone. bro you could even make an event out of it!

…Speaking of Events, what if you made a REALLY AWESOME PRIZE where participating to the final tier of an event had the GLORIUS final prize of a lock remover (which you could use on the 4th lock ;))

that’s a simpler deployable fix to ease our suffering as we wait for your wayyy cooler, indepth version as you’ve tentatively detailed above.

4 Likes

Will we get more mastery progression for having lower tier blessings unlocked in addition to the higher tiers?

5 Likes

As i thought, they can’t overcome their fixation on rng. Idk whos in FS thinks that it’s great idea, but new system doesn’t solve core problem – rng. Yes, only for stats but it still rng.

10 Likes

OK, fair - but the biggest obstacle in the current system is blessing acquisition and Hadron bricking the bases we get from Brunt.

I’ll tolerate a single layer of RNG in bases for the stuff we’re getting.

21 Likes

I don’t think that removing the randomness entirely and turning the entire thing to be grind based is a good thing. That would completely steamroll all effort that people have put in already over the past 2 years, and would not allow the good side of the RNG to help you. The expertise does not seem like a reroll to me, but more of a precise allocation of stat points.

3 Likes

This. I can settle for one layer of RNG. This is still leaps and bounds better than previous titles.

It kind of reminds me a bit of Destiny’s crafting system, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

11 Likes

one more important thing. progression isnt keep us invested gameplay is.
I wouldnt have watched a 6 hour stream yesterday of darktide freezing for most of it because i wanted to progress I watched because i like the game and it was unable to start until the last hotfix.

dont underestimate the game penances passes/weapon passes dont keep players playing gameplay does.

2 Likes

Do i need to mastery weapons from 0 if i had more than 800 lvl of psyker?

2 Likes

I toast to this monumental W, lads! :beer:

21 Likes

I’m fine with the reward if its put inside penance system.
but not, if it tied to the system as in like instead of getting Mastery point you get a frame instead.

Most of what has been described here would be a great improvement to the game, but there are two major flaws that I can point out.

First, the stat blocks on weapons still being random is a hard sell. It doesn’t come across well how this new system allows us to change those blocks, or if we can at all. If I’m still stuck spending 500K+ on white weapon roulette all your changes will mean nothing.

Second, this seems to imply that blessings will be unlocked via earning experience with and leveling up weapon groups. This is an interesting idea for early game and the actual leveling experience, but will be beyond annoying for people looking to try a new build. The idea of having to grind with a weapon that has the wrong blessings until you unlock the blessing you actually need for your build is daunting at best.

I would recommend adding a late game system where the player can dump resources to purchase levels for different weapon groups to bypass the grind via resource earned from time played with a build they enjoy.

The resource earned from a single damnation run should be more than enough to purchase one level of a weapon group. I’m still a bit salty that I have to run multiple missions to upgrade a single weapon in the current system…

17 Likes

This. I know it is WIP but seeing that you have different point values from perks and blessings means that the better blessing will cost more to use, and if the cap is still the same as in those pictures they might have to give up on higher level second blessing, the perks or having lower overall stats then someone who uses a different blessing instead.

1 Like

So the locks will be removed, but it seems there’s still a limit to what you can do with a weapon.

On the screenshot it looks like changing a blessing costs mastery points. So does that mean some weapons, however good their base stats are, can still be “bricked” as it were?

3 Likes