Into the Nest boss is excessively difficult when no one has suitable weapons

No it doesn’t limit you to any weapons. Just about every weapon is viable and better and different things, and versatile weapons like Halberd tend to be pretty good. But you can head shot with anything.

1 Like

Im replying to:

“well if you are going champ\legend with no armor pen, you are dead anyways. armor pen weapons are number 1 priority in this game”.

If thats the case, its bad game design.

I don’t know why there isn’t one. V1 had this. Allow me to change classes and items, not characters, after the start of a level.

4 Likes

For now I can recommend bringing a Huntsman Kruber for the endboss, he ends him in seconds on legend.

Edit: Link to a quick video I made of killing him.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for them to add the weapon box at the beginning and then all 4 characters select armor pen and get REKT by hordes :D.

2 Likes

that isn’t the case. lots of weapons are viable, but the community has settled on things like halberd, falchion, rapier, axe/shield, hammer, dagger, glavive but you can use whatever you want

1 Like

So either you didn’t face any armoured enemies at all or you faced armoured enemies and handled them just fine, but couldn’t handle the boss?

I’m not going to tell you to “git gud” or even try and tell you how to play, instead, I’ll share what works for me: Whomever gets boss agro keeps it as best they can by not getting hit and their only focus is distracting the boss and not dying. Everyone else clears adds and protects the bait. Once adds are gone, the remaining party members DPS the boss until he switches agro or more adds turn up. Rince and repeat.

As to only certain weapons being viable, well, I don’t believe that’s accurate. I’d say that any weapon choice/combo is viable if you’re good enough. For scrubs like me however, I know I’m not good enough to make certain things work, so I always keep things like armour piercing in mind because not only are Warcamp/Into the Nest in the rotation for quickplay but it also helps against Stormy/Roger/Spawn/Billy as well as the various wild Chaos Warriors and Stormvermin who are determined to ruin my day. Think about the things that give you the most trouble and pick your loadout to help you with that (as well as your main party role), even if it’s your secondary weapon.

There’s always going to be a weapon for each class that people gravitate to, but it doesn’t mean that the others are useless (bar bugs like phantom swing), just that they have a different niche. You’ve got 2 weapon slots, do they really need to both do the same job (ie anti-horde)? If you’re playing a tank archetype, do you really need to worry about optimising killing specials at range?

2 Likes

Pro tip: Go into every match prepared yourself to deal with armor. This sucks, but its the state of the game, you fight tons of armor on legend even with changes in the difficulty making only AA weapons really a suitable option.

3 Likes

So weapons that arent armor piercing dont leave you at a disadvantage at highest difficulty levels?

Its a matter of roles. On Legend everyone should play his own role. For example waystalker, bh or pyro are anti-special guys, someone who kills armor real fast (Salty with falchion, Bardin with axe\shield-axe\double axes) maybe antiboss class (like huntsman or again Sienna with beam staff), a horde cleaner, etc. The point is that some classes with some weapons can do multiple roles and others can’t. For ex Pyromancer can clear hordes, 1shot specials and do massive damage to bosses while, for example, foot knight is best at babysitting and crowd control, stunlocking boss. He is not that good against specials and dont have too much options to melt bosses fast. His anti-armor weapon (hammer) is too slow making him weak againt regular enemies and hordes, etc, etc. Anyways if you have a good party where everyone knows how to play his role you will not suffer too much on legend. The problem is that on Legend there are tooooooooo much of armored units and specials coming non-stop, so the value of classes who can deal with specials and armor is a bit higher than the others.

2 Likes

no. Halberd for example isn’t armor piercing, it is wide sweeps shield break and versatile, and it is one of the best weapons. 1h Hammer is wide sweeps, crowd control, fast attack and it is amazing. armor piercing certainly isn’t necessary. just head shot the stormvermins, spam light attacks on trash.

Isn’t the 1st and 3rd (but not the 2nd) LMB on the halberd armour piercing?

I’ve been doing some testing and the Halberd block attack (block>shove>attack) can one-shot armor rats. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s armor piercing or because it’s a downward strike that hits their heads though. Haven’t had a chance yet to try it on the Into the Nest boss.

1 Like

It is really a case of “Get Good.” on this boss.

First, armor penetration is not a must against him. It is convenient, but not a requirement.

Second, you do not have to charge your melee attack until it auto-releases. Just hold it long enough so the holding-the-weapon-ready animation is playing, then release it. Takes maybe just under half a second for a charged attack.

Third, adds (trash) before boss. That is what I always tell my party before jumping into the boss arena. If you have the attention of the boss, do not attempt to trade punches. You will lose. If you see him holding his spear, and charging up an attack. Hold block and dodge backwards. Best case scenario, you are out of his range. Worst case scenario, you are sent flying and loses all stamina (shields), but should take almost no damage. If he is using daggers, block. If he does the leap attack (spear or dual daggers), dodge sideways. And as always, adds (trash) before boss.

Fourth, adds (trash) before boss. If you are not the focus of the boss, clear adds (trash) that are going after the boss’s focus, right after killing those that are on you. Then you wail on the boss.

3 Likes

Without armor piercing this is extremely time consuming and tedious (especially when your trash waves are berserkers, marauders, stormvermin, etc), but it’s not at all impossible.

I have a feeling people are talking about two different things here.

There are weapons like axe that specifically have “ARMOR PIERCING” in the Qualities like Bardin’s Axe and Great Axe and you can use those attacks to just spam attacks on the body of a StormVermin or Chaos Warriors.

Then there are weapons like Halberd and Executioner sword and Hammer that ARE NOT “Armor Piercing” but have great over head attacks you can use to easily headshot Stormvermin after storm vermin or CW and kill them easily.

BUt pretty much every melee weapon I can think of has some sort of attack you can use to headshot armored enemies. Halberd’s shove + overhead chop attack (right click + clickhold left click) is so good and you can just slice off Stormvermin heads over and over so fast. You can head shot with stabs and thrusts, and even just horizontal/angled swings once you learn the animations.

beserkers/monks don’t have armor. but you can stagger them mid-attack with crowdcontrol weapons like hammers.

that may be part of the “Versatile” green Quality, that one of the attacks pierce armor, but you’re better off using the push + followup overhead and just one shot them to chop their heads off. or just learn how to head shot with the angled attacks. just spamming attacks on armored bodies even with

Testing it out now Halberd 1st swing still get green dmg like 900 when attacking armor training dummy but 1950 on naked dummy at max hero level/power. But the overhead chop after pushing (rightclick then click and hold leftmouse) does 3350 dmg on armor dummy headshot

The halberd is a versatile weapon yeah. The cleaves are for hordes, the thrusts are for cadence and single unarmored targets (or even armored if you get the head) and the overheads are for chopping down dangerous guys. If you do the push attacks, you can do two overhead swings in a row and kill Chaos Warriors etc in no time flat.

1 Like

Quick bit of testing on the armoured dummy shows that the 1st and 3rd are indeed armour piercing to an extent (even without hitting the head on the 3rd swing).

I’m not disputing that the push/stab chop is the better way to go, just that it’s a nice-to-know if you’ve got an armoured enemy mixed in with chaff or if you’re out of stamina

1 Like