Weapon Skins Change Version Of Weapon

Issue Description:
Some weapon skins will change the visual model of the weapon from one mark to another mark. For example, applying Scar Lasgun (Winterhome Camo) to the Kantrael MG IV Infantry Lasgun will change the model from MG IV to that of the MG Ia. Cosmetic effects only, weapon performs normally. Problem skins are listed blow:

For Kantrael Lasguns:
Scar Lasgun (Winterhome Camo)

For Infantry Autoguns:
Infantry Autogun (Mortis Operative)
Infantry Autogun (Winterhome Camo)

For Combat Swords:
Combat Sword (Winterhome Camo)

For Ripper Guns:
Ripper Gun (Winterhome Scar Camo)

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Have one of the models of weapon listed above
  2. Equip one of the skins listed above
  3. Note how, depending on the mark of the weapon, the model may change to that of a completely different one

Mission Name (If Applicable):
N/A

Platform:
[Steam]

Player ID:
[Steam ID]

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
[12/08/2022, 12:15AM/PM] [EST]

Reproduction Rate:
Constant (100%)

Upload Supporting Evidence:
This is the exact same weapon in both screenshots. The first one has no skin applied, while the second one has Scar Lasgun (Winterhome Camo) applied.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this post has been looked at it or if previous stated weapons have been fixed, but we have more that share this problem. Specifically:

The Mk III Helbore Lasgun when changing skins it will default to a Mk II

The Munitorum MK III Power Sword when changing skins will default to a Mk VI

I hope this is fixed because I much rather the Mk III Power Swords Aquila hand Guard and the Mk III Helbores sights over the other variants.

1 Like

It’s not a bug, just lazy design.

3 Likes

It’s understandable that the weapon skin can modify the model, otherwise it’s just a very inconspicuous spray paint.

Especially for some paid skins, just changing the décor makes me feel very halfheartedly, and I would never pay for a separate skin that only changes the color without changing the model.

Those big skin bundles, perhaps, but not getting a more unique model is still a laziness and perfunctory. And many skins can be said to be simple with only a few strokes, a child can draw better than this.

Not when one of the reasons you like a certain mark of a weapon is because of its model, and now you have to make a choice between it being stock colour forever, or having a different model. It’s horrible design if it’s on purpose, and lazy design if it isn’t.

2 Likes

Well the new cosmetics continue this trend, Psyker sword uses Deimos skin, Kickback finally gets a skin it still shares with the Rumbler but without the enormous sight for once. I was hoping when these variants got their own UI icons they’d get their own version of the generic paint skins and such. Particularly the paid skin bundles, like what is the actual big deal with another 20 recolors. We saw you work your magic with recolors delivering the same penance clothes 8 times as a cosmetics pack.

Well, some rare weapons like the Thunder Hammer get a whole new model unlike any regular weapon, so good chance this is intentional design.

Since it’s unlikely to change, you may as well take advantage of it, at least for ranged weapons. Sometimes the weapon skin is based on a variant that has a different sight than the one you’re using, and you can apply that different skin to it to change the sight to the one you prefer.

A good example of this would be changing the sight on the Helbore III to be more like the I and II variants.

Part of me hopes they use this as an easy way to add weapon scopes to some more weapons in the future.

Thunderhammer Armory skins change to the currently unused ‘Graia’ Thunderhammer. There’s a lot of others that do this, like the bolter, flamethrower, revolver, both shovels and the plasma gun. I think the most recent staff skin might be the currently unused ‘Pyroblast’ staff as well. Around 115 weapons total with the unused, so about 38 missing atm. Even more with very unfinished references we only have insignia data for like proper chainaxe, melta gun, long las etc.

1 Like