Greatswords need Love!

I’m only going to respond to a few bits here, just want to say that greatsword is the polar opposite of everything you’ve said here, but your comment shows a lack of experience with it.

My guy, you are doing it completely backwards! This should be a warning on how NOT to use the greatsword against single targets. The core problem here is you not understanding what stagger the greatsword is capable of, and not taking advantage of what is essentially a 60% damage increase. Let me demonstrate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1uSzUTvvdw

So what’s happening here? I headshot the Stormvermin with a heavy swing, which staggers it. Staggered enemies are then further even easier to stagger, which lets me add an extra stagger count by just simply pushing. Executing a push-attack after a heavy swing means it is completely staggered, and I’m cashing in the 60% damage bonus with the push-attack. Note as well that this is the completely base(d) greatsword, with no stat increases at all. The only possible boost I might have here is 5% power from TMtM. And of course, this is Cataclysm, on Legend you can 2-shot them, although you might need like 10% armour power on charm.

And this is where greatsword is at its weakest - that is single-target anti-armour damage. And even here it’s not even that bad. It kills the Stormvermin pretty quickly.

(If you don’t know where the extra damage comes from, staggered enemies take 20% more damage, adding an extra stagger count bumps it up to 40%. Mainstay those numbers up further to 40% and 60% respectively. This is one of the few weapons where I think Mainstay is superior to something like Smiter)

Oh yeah? Here’s me killing 35 Stormvermin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSAg6Xaex38

Clearly it’s not just doing “2” damage a swing. Watch as each swing starts to chop down multiple of them at once after a while. Watch the kill feed and the damage numbers.

“Oh, but you’re just using Mercenary as a crutch for a weak weapon!”
No weapon exists in a vacuum. If I’m not using greatsword with Mercenary and his excellent ult, the 10% attack speed and 40% power boost, then it’s WHC with 40% CDR ult, Killing Shot activating and killing 3 Stormvermin at once with one crit swing and increased dodge talent, or even Zealot with 30% power, up to 40% attack speed and insane survivability.

Don’t look at just the damage either. Think about how well this lowers cooldown each swing, since I’m always cleaving multiple enemies at a time, think about how well it generates tHP as well. It’s a monster with tHP on cleave.

Clutch situations is exactly what it’s good for. It has decent stagger and good mobility, both properties are what you want in a weapon when clutching. No disablers can hide behind any sort of elites or density, if there’s a packmaster in a horde you can just chop him down with heavy swings and go right through any Stormvermin. Likewise with assassins.

And yes, I am saying that I wouldn’t be able to do the same with executioner sword. The mobility of the weapon would kill me, it having only 2 dodge count and 0 extra range, and it would be tough to find an opening to do any heavy attack. Halberd I could probably manage, but I’d feel less comfortable.

And lastly, yes, the weapon is ultimately not great against Chaos Warriors. It’s a shame, I know. It deals slow damage against them. But even here it has properties that shine, because rarely are Chaos Warriors alone. Whatever is hiding behind them get chopped down (like in Righteous Stand first terror event, last wave has Warriors + Monks & slave support). Even then, I’ve solo’ed Chaos Patrols on Legend when I was trying to True Solo, it just took a bit of time.

P.S. - are the videos lagging for anyone else too?

12 Likes