Devs, Combat Shotguns need a MASSIVE BUFF

Actually get deathspitter. Unlike FF it is actually power so will increase cleave.

1 Like

Throw the kickback in there whike youre at it

You just described almost every weapon in this game

Shotguns are balanced and perfectly fine at the moment. They are in the top 5 ranged options for zealots. Moreover, all the 3 shotgun patterns are good. The lawbringer is slightly behind only because its special shot is the weakest, but still not totally useless because itā€™s useful at thinning hordes from a distance when you are immobile for whatever reasons (defending someone doing interrogator, carrying a cell, rezing a teammate etcā€¦).

Of course you need to put specific blessings on them (like most of weapons in this game):

• ā€œno respiteā€ is mandatory
  • then ā€œfull boreā€ or ā€œfire frenzy/deathspitterā€ depending on your playstyle

If you want a good ranged weapon for zealot that doesnā€™t require specific blessings to be good, I advise you to play the agripinaa braced autogun. Itā€™s probably the most blessing non-dependent weapon in the game now that I think about it. :thinking:
On this you would ultimately want ā€œdeathspitterā€ and ā€œfire frenzyā€ but they arenā€™t mandatory and small blessing pool means they come up very often

About shotguns ammo: I never have trouble with ammo on my shotguns btw. They are not meant to be used as a sustained fire platform in the first place

Doesnā€™t work: fire frenzy doesnā€™t stay long enough (2,75 sec) to spam special shells into a horde and benefit from it. Same goes for kantrael fire special ammo. Fire frenzy/deathspitter are useful when magdumping your whole clip into a mixed horde boltgun-style

On Zealot? Yeah, their ammo could be better but its not a huge problem. On Vet, especially with the Kantrael? You are an ammo box eating machine.

Yes it does. Not really sure what else to tell you here. The window isnā€™t even all that tight, although you do have to reload and fire again quickly. In practice it works best when youā€™re not the only melee class, but it thins a horde well enough.

Go replicate it in the meat grinder if you donā€™t believe me.

I will! Thanks

It works mb! I think in my head I got stuck on the 1,75 sec from a couple patches ago and kept thinking it didnā€™t work without retrying with the added extra second.

Question is: is it efficient? Like, does it make it good at horde thinning/clearing and justifies removing ā€œfull boreā€ to put this instead? I reckon it can give up to +50% power! I donā€™t have much time to play atm to try new combos

YMMV. If you need help with hordes but still want a ranged weapon that can accurately hit single targets (shooter patrols, specials, etc), you can consider it. Itā€™s what Iā€™m missing when running thunder hammer, so thatā€™s when I use it. Itā€™s not fantastic at killing hordes or anything, but fire frenzy does make killing poxwalkers in a single shot a much more reliable affair than it would be otherwise.

Of course I realize that there are other good companions to TH as well. The autopistol and agripinaa braced auto are both great and can magdump into a horde if you need it. But for me, they lack the accuracy of the lawbringer (esp. with ADS!), and every time Iā€™m staring down shooters that are behind cover, I wish I had the shotgun instead.

But both autopistol and braced auto are easier to play and less demanding in terms of crafting, so I suspect most people will prefer those. Also, Iā€™m not saying that the special shell on lawbringer is all that great. It could use a buff. But it does have a use case, if you build for it.

Iā€™m happy with combat shotguns, more or less.
I tend to use them for shooter squad removals, one shot per target kill letā€™s you wipe a squad.

Canā€™t say I really use them on hordes. More for specials, shooters and elites. The ads mode feels almost compulsory to focus the damage in these situations else (I find) Iā€™m using twice as many shots from the hip.

Itā€™s then pretty good at range, and as mentioned, the Agri slug mode makes it a sniper rifle albeit one with no sights as such.

Kantrael has nice high damage; not sure Iā€™m a big user of the fire sheā€™ll except on bullwarks.

Lawbringer I donā€™t use as Iā€™ve just not worked out the alt fires purpose.