Winds of Magic - Season 2 Blog Post

Yeah, I agree 100%. This feels like a damage control move. My guess would be that the Drachenfels maps were originally planned to be the next DLC content (probably planned for at least 3 months from now, which is why only one of the maps will come initially – the other two aren’t done yet) but it’s more important to salvage the player base than to try to sell DLC to a tiny player base after lots of people leave.

Or maybe it was always planned to be free. We’ll never know.

6 Likes

I am curious, these maps will be permanent or will disappear after season 2. If they will gone, then it will be a d*ck move.

1 Like

It would be highly unlikely that the Drachenfels maps would be like A Quiet Drink (which you can still play on Official Realm with some backdooring) which was more of a 1 year anniversary map.

1 Like

TWWH also has a lot going for it, in that GW obliterated the old world, it’s the only game that fulfills that niche of a warhammer world strategy with real time battles and the DLC keeps getting better and better in terms of features. They’ve been listening to the customers a lot.

It’s not without its flaws, but there’re clear reasons why people are willing to spend that money on it. It’s the only game where I violate my rule of not buying DLC before they come out (though for the basegame twwh2 I did wait until launch week before buying, and I loved tw:warhammer 1.

I still remember the Rome 2 launch fiasco which I luckily didn’t preorder (and I preordered Napoleon/Shogun 2 so yeah…)). And the modding scene in TWWH2 has the advantage of not needing to be approved by CA seeing as it’s predominantly a singleplayer game, and in mp both players need to have the same mods to play together. But if CA decided to take their games in a direction I don’t like I wouldn’t buy anything more from them.

Three Kingdoms I’m still holding off on as it hasn’t hugely gripped me (I like having the added diplomacy features a lot, but battles are important to me too), despite me being interested in the period.

pushes newly purchased Empire war wagon off screen

Which works both ways, FS isn’t entitled to our money either. Restaurant staff don’t have to talk to their customers or, as they do in some places, give their regulars the odd free side, but it goes a long way toward keeping them loyal and coming back. They also don’t have to keep the recipes the same but they do have to be prepared for the fact customers may or may not like the new ones.

4 Likes

Care to prove it to us or is this going remain a he said/she said package deal?

3 Likes

I hope they make night maps permanent, but maps randomly roll on whether it is day or night.

4 Likes

Like anything ever comes of that sort of nonsense anyway. Get real.

Why don’t you just leave if you’re so at odds with everything Fatshark does?

6 Likes

This was a very elegant way of putting it and I wish I’d been able to say it more like you have!

I don’t deny anything you’ve said: in order to have the life of the game extended there must be a middle-ground for both us and FatShark, but the point I’d like to drive home is that we are not owed anything.

To go back to the restaurant comparison and piggy-back off your comment: it’s nice to give the regular the odd free-meal. The issue (IMO) comes when the regular believes, for no reason at all, that they deserve one. Entitlement isn’t healthy, as I see it.

I just really hope that when we get that free meal, we don’t see it as “we are owed” as opposed to “that’s downright kind of them.” Sure, it can smooth over relations and there can be ulterior motives, but those only work if the act was kind in the first place :slight_smile: I have faith that FatShark genuinely means well.

2 Likes

I’ll absolutely take free maps in exchange for paid cosmetics. It’s also a wise move to have a lot more cosmetics available via in-game means. You’ll be more likely to get buyers that do it purely for support. I know I’m down to incentivize consumer-friendly practices.

3 Likes

I would love to have a new anniversary map every year and it was like a DLC with a new map every year. After 5 or 6 years we would have a full campaign of parties and drunkenness.

3 Likes

I ve seen more “generous” actions in the gaiming industruy…let’s not exxagerate too much. Most of us have paid for thats DLC in VT1 and it’s the only real free content that we will get since vt2 release, they ve starved us so much that this appear as a crazy gift. Some free maps here and there should be the norm, not the excpetion.

Let us face it, we barely got free NEW content for over 1 year…i dont see that as generouse. I m still glad they changed their approach tho.

4 Likes

This is the best Vermintide news I’ve heard in ages. I’m very excited about Season 2. Thank you!

3 Likes

Oh. 3 new maps. That’s great!
It’s drachenfelds from Vermintide 1
Make new maps instead of rehashing the old ones.
I’ve already experienced those 3 maps. Give me something new to do…

Lohners emporium? Sounds neat!
But you have bigger problems that needs your attention. For example a reworked deed system, stagger, broken game with bugs.
This is either lazy game design or Fatshark are afraid to try something new. Can’t imagine why…

2 Likes

I hope so.

Yeah, you hollar when the p*ss poor crafting and time wasting features are given an overhaul.

Fix your core game instead of falling back on the obvious emergency plan that is the beloved Drachenfels DLC from V1, and if you absolutely have to do the low effort route - don’t screw it up.(I know, its like asking water not to pour downhill)

1 Like

I generally don’t mind cosmetics but it completely trashes any validity the current loot system has beyond endless grinding for grind sake.

1 Like

The current loot system (for cosmetics) is bad. That’s why there is now a new one. The quality of that new one remains to be seen simply because it’s not out yet. Frankly it could be as awful as 10 shillings for a hat, 1 shilling per day or 5 per week and it’d still be better than the current loot system.

And I wish I was lending on hyperbole

1 Like

This gave me a good laugh. Ty Shella

7 Likes

It’s honestly difficult to hold any respect for you guys after all this time. A lot of us have been here and stuck around when VT2 was at it’s lowest point. You guys managed to get your BS slowly together and pull through only to throw it all away again and release straight up trash.

I really really really hope people can see through the bs for once and stop supporting video games/devs that don’t really give a crap about the community. It isn’t quite on EA’s level but you guys sure are trying and do it worse in your own right. This game was truly exceptional and it’s just straight up garbage right now. You guys and this game have been around far too long to try to pass off crappy management of this game with more excuses. I’m legitimately pissed I stuck around for as long as I did.

WoM was the first DLC/game I’ve actually refunded on steam and I wish I had refunded the prior two when it was bad as well. The multiplayer experience on VT2 has never been worse. The game was bad and had it’s flaws but it was fun to play. It isn’t fun to play anymore and the issues revolving the game shine brighter than ever. You’d know this if you guys bothered to play your own game because it’s hard to imagine how someone wouldn’t see it.

4 Likes

I’m getting some mixed signals, here. Help me out by clarifying, if you would:

The game was truly exceptional (blanket statement)

The game was bad (blanket statement)

To be fair, it’s totally acceptable to just not enjoy a game as a whole and you don’t have to have specific reasoning for it, but as someone who really enjoys many aspects of the game I have a hard time comprehending someone disliking it without a selling-point for the dislike.

Again, totally fair to dislike it, I’ve just not seen reasons posted :slight_smile:

Some Reasons I've not been turned off by WoM or 2.0

I, personally, haven’t had a lot of the problems that folks are talking about on the forums. When I do play I’ve been having a rather good time and I don’t really have a problem with lack of sounds (a lot of the time I play with music blaring or talking to someone in the room, so I hardly care about the backstabbing sounds but I do see how that could be a big problem).

I’ve also not had troubles with frame-rate, but my rig runs most games pretty well and I’m happy to drop settings to maintain performance, so I’ve not really noticed a hit there.

I love the stagger mechanic. I don’t know why people are complaining that they don’t like hitting a bad-guy a few more times; they don’t feel spongey to me, only a little tougher (and not at all tough if they’re prone). If you fight with your team, there’s no difference in time-to-kill and that’s sorta what Vermintide was designed for!

Lastly, I really don’t have many problems with the beast-men and I always assume I’ll get hit from somewhere I can’t see… so I am usually prepared for it. I don’t mind the reach on the spear-men, the rate-of-fire from the archers, nor the coloration of the gors.

Also, ninja minotaur are twice as fun because a monster that doesn’t announce it’s presence just seems like a smart monster :wink:

I’m like the perfect storm of “ignorance is bliss” :stuck_out_tongue:

Lastly, I’m sorry to hear you wanted to refund it. I am, however, surprised to hear that it’s your first game/DLC refunded. I’ve refunded around 15 titles because I’m curious but then not satisfied. Always good to sate your curiosity knowing you can safely return it if need be or keep it if it’s fun!

2 Likes