Why are these cosmetic challenges not only impossible, but also discourage the core fundamentals of this game?

Like I said, they’re not hard. Sky is the one calming that they’re “impossible”. I want harder challenges, that are challenging.

Just because you personally don’t find them challenging is not some gold standard that invalidates other opinions expressed on this thread.

2 Likes

Then why argue about semantics, that’s what everyone is asking for

Interesting challenges

Not spam the same missions for hours on until you get lucky

2 Likes

Get off your elitist high horse for two seconds and actually listen to what people are saying.

It’s not that they’re hard. If you read my most recent comments you will see that I was able to find a group; when properly co-ordinated, led by someone who has done the challenge before, Cliffhanger was quite easy. Difficulty level is so not the point.

The point is twofold:

• These challenges are extremely unfriendly to solo players or people with a small group. Most of them flat-out require a full group of four, which not everyone has or wants. It’s fine to have challenges for full-group play, but locking the majority of cosmetics behind said challenges is just blatantly unfair to solo / small-group players.
  • These challenges encourage toxicity and uncooperative play. They bear no relevance to actual “normal” skill-based gameplay whatsoever, and the skills you need to use to complete the challenges are unrelated to the skills you need to be successful at the game. Good challenges should encourage the building of skills that carry over and make you better at your class in general. These do not. Good challenges also shouldn’t make people hunting after them into an actual detriment to their team, but these do.

It’s not about difficulty. It’s about design.

11 Likes

Sry for all on this situation. i must have wiped 20-60 teams today and yesterday because i only wanted to do the mission for the self heal. Started I’m only with bots as ppl jointen, I shared immediately with sry I run the mission not finished, I make them only for the pants, because the success is shitty bugt, even if you fill 2 life bar he does not count and that on t5. On T4 the. is locket at 91/100. So I have the boss runer people gewipet because I only wanted to make the success and therefore ,had no skillung active let alone weapons that are useful for the boss fight. The hate in chat I may not even screen. steam have already received a strike. In any case, thank you FS that promotes Toxic Playstyle to 100%.

The same with the filthy mutant. Badly described the challenge and completely nonsensical, no one but also no one kills the mutant so there, the Ulti is the panic button to not die. Here I have to spend it uselessly because my char can’t get to a head skin. And it doesn’t even work. With some yes with others not. In most cases the mutant is already shot when sighted, even by the bots when doing this with the bots. So completely stupid. The self up Healen uses absolutely no one, because that is so hard bent that no matter how many kills you made what is in the end dmg only 15hp or 25 hp gets.

1 Like

Yes these are horrible. The ‘on overwatch’ for veteran is so infuriating it’s making me wanna stop playing altogether… As soon as ‘challenges’ go against the gameplay and fluidity and become outright frustrating they should not be in the game at all…

1 Like

Who thought it was a good idea to have cosmetics - the thing we all know a good chunk of people are going to want - behind challenges that inherently go against the fundamentals of the game? Were these made basically impossible to keep people from getting them in the beta period?

He’s not looking for challenging penances, he just wants cosmetics. Which OP also clarified in a response.

The penance Malleus Monstronum is not a hard challenge. It’s also not a bad one. It’s not great but it’s not terrible. It needs cooperation & precise execution.

You’re not supposed to complete these challenges with a random group. It’s for a team of four that goes in with this goal in mind working together. It’s not about luck, it’s about precise execution. Map & class knowledge are the keys here. What map has the best monster spawn points for this challenge? With a terrain that’s easy to kite a monster around & at the same time not easily be trapped by a horde.

Penances should go out of there way of the basic go to point A to B gameplay. They should also have unique looking rewards that you can only obtain by doing the penances. Something I think the rewards currently lack, it’s just another colour.

OP is not asking for any of that, OP just wants the cosmetic.

1 Like

Honestly they feel like a missed opportunity at times. They could have been used to teach people to play their class - example - On Overwatch isn’t detrimental to others and makes you a better sharpshooter. However ones like the Cliffhanger, Shocking stuff or Kill 3 elites with your death explosion basically force you to either ask people not to play the game/set up kills for you or alternatively force you to split from your team and search for groups of enemies on your own. What this does mostly is prolong mission time in best case scenario or mess up the mission entirely in worst

2 Likes

It’s called basic math. The fastest we’ve done a Heresy run is >30 minutes. Because half of the maps have multiple events that each can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, and because you cannot just sprint through the levels on Heresy due to all the ranged guys and density of spawns, the bar for it set so high you have to be thick to not be able to see it. Or you’re using your brain reflexively to call people out instead of thinking it through. Have you even beat a Heresy difficulty run yet?

I’ve already got 60 hours in the game, and another 20 from the first Beta. I think that’s more than enough time to start doing basic arithmetic and asses that these challenges are completely out of whack.

2 Likes

This is straight up wrong. I just tried throwing off a few at a time after reading your post, I got no progress on my achievement from it, even though I did throw several guys off.

1 Like

complete a heresy mission in under 10 minute with less than 1 wound remaining for 75% isn’t well nigh impossible? how many missions have you completed (regardless of difficulty) in under 10 minutes

4 Likes

yeah, i was misinformed on that also, i should test not trust.

2 Likes

No problem!

Theyre cosmetic challenges for a reason, they dont alter your gameplay or skill lock you
they are there to show what one can do
ive unlocked all of them for sharpshooter except the final chest piece only because i dont want to bother with it

just because youre upset over one BETA set of challenges cant be beat by you doesnt mean you should get on here to take it from those who have worked to get it

My big grip is also that there is a lot of clipping and visual glitches on cosmetic armors that you unlock which makes it even more frustrating after completing those penances. I will posting that in bug section soon. But here are examples:

1 Like

How is, for example, blowing yourself up as a psyker and killing 3 elites not gameplay altering? It’s not the difficulty, it’s the way you have to go against the game is played to even get a chance to achieve some of these penances. Speaking of chance, some of the penances are hard RNG locked, some of them depend on factors entirely out of your control. Neither design is great for ‘challenges’

2 Likes

Again theyre cosmetics, most dont severely hinder the game
and those “Chance encounters” are pretty common when at the difficulties theyre requested on
wanna really work for them? make some friends

Guess what? Not everyone has friends who like these kinds of games. My friends like CoD and Dark Souls, MMO’s, etc. They don’t like Vermintide/L4D games like this.

The Devs have implemented a quickplay button over having private lobbies/offline available with these challenges. You can’t say they aren’t meant to be completed with a group of randos, because that is what a percentage of the game is going to be.

This feels so badly like a Bungie mentality, get a group of 3 other friends to do this extremely tedious task that you won’t complete otherwise. You are gated by your friends.

7 Likes

Theres a lobby chat in the mourningstar, theres discords and more
get new friends or organize something with others
socialize
i get it thats hard for alotta people nowadays it seems but do it

I can dig the clipping and im very sure that it will be fixed eventually