Weapon attachments were not added to the game because "[Darktide] isn't COD, nor was designed to be COD." - Fatshark Hedge

Don’t want to get more involved in this conversation but I do remember somewhat earlyish in Darktide development they had an whole interview thing in a game magazine where one of the big things they talked about were attachments. That’s something that got me hyped for the game and I was legitimately disappointed when it wasn’t in the game, especially since they seemed to never mention it again besides this very dismissive response from Hedge.

6 Likes

What’s worse is you can see the remnants of the weapon customization system more and more as weapon variants are released. Really seems like the whole system would be comprehensively better and easier to deal with if we could just swap out weapon parts instead of classifying every minor difference between MKs as entirely new weapons that take up space in the shop and are hard to tell apart at a glance, and now all the time they could spend pushing out actual new weapons has to be spent constantly tweaking an expanding pool of samey variants.

The whole thing just reeks of a system that was designed one way then forced to work a different way too late in development.

3 Likes

Yea I can see how that’d make you disappointed. While I don’t remember this interview I’m sure it must’ve been sad to see a feature you thought was gonna be there, not make it in anyway, and since the only mention we have of it since, is a dismissive & cheeky response, I’d be disappointed too.

This isn’t an “Either, or” situation, multiple people are lacking in respect including you & me. Still not saying they were never planned (its really like you guys are refusing to actually read what I’m writing), just that they were never broadly advertised. If you decide to relate & agree with an entitled question that means I’m talking to you as well yes. If you just “think attachments would be cool” or “sad to see they’re not in the game”, I’m not calling you anything. Read, please read. I’m saying petty & entitled gamers, with impure intentions are huge neckbeards, not just “anybody interested in Darktide”. Unlike what seems to be the consensus in here, why yes I have actually read my comments and so far, you’ve done nothing to dispute what i’m actually saying, instead resorting to write sarcastically and ignore any points I’m making. Also if you wanna actually insult me find something better than f*cking poohead, y’sound like a toddler.

Man does everyone just hate each other’s guts in this forum or what?

1 Like

claims where made that its gonna be a feature, and while never “broadly advertised” they also never bother to clear up that that feature is NOT gonna be in the game

opening statement comercial EU Law: unfair Commercial practices.

“”“When promoting, selling or supplying products, companies must give you enough accurate information to enable you to make an informed buying decision.”“”

Note that any form of interview or even words/tweets etc from an adequately high-stationed individual in said company already counts as promoting.

also be aware that that talking to single individuals (rude or not) is not enough to clear up any
(now) false claims made by previous promotions.
same goes for lack of descriptive material (steam page as example).

so they more than failed to clear up the false claims they made, that’s what makes the hedge case so bad.

3 Likes

A scope, a flashlight, and a bayonet, is this a big request? You don’t need a system that is too complicated, and these three things are enough for most people.

3 Likes

ahahhaha yes, opposing opinions quickly gets confused with attacks in this forum

See this is way more convincing. The legal implications of what was said is definitely something that can be very serious and therefore it is imperative that public relations work very closely with marketing to not risk making statements that might end up untrue. This is something that would require more evidence/more examples before one could go and say, sue for false advertising for example but your point is very convincing imo (& thx for not turning straight to insults & unproductive comments like the rest). :slight_smile:

if you’re talking about that fiasco about your “PR experience”, it’s because you were insulting people, and when people got on your case about it, you played the victim, which only made things worse. And if you’re going to thank somebody for not initializing a conversation with an insult, maybe you should take your own advice, eh? You called people neckbeards in your very first post in this thread, just to remind you.

Aside from that, I think there’s a lot more on the table for a false advertising claim than just the weapon attachment system not being here, like the crafting system just plainly not being implemented for months, especially the one they initially described. Stability issues might not be applicable, but should give grounds for returns past initial trial periods, like they did with cyberpunk.

2 Likes

It would be really cool to have some kind of statement from fatshark about it. It’s totally understandable if they had to scrap it during dev they should just be open about it but it’s clearly a feature that a lot of people got enthusiastic about and it would be amazing to at least know they’re planning on doing it some time after the most urgent things (maps and class varieties) are adressed

1 Like
  1. read what you wanna read, but know that it’s not what I’m writing- tired of repeating the same talking points to new people

2. You could be right. I usually see European comissions only really care about what’s on the box cover and not what was said in interviews/trailers. Regardless, if anything actually makes it to court (which i doubt), they would probably be in trouble, because of what cedric.d mentions, but take all of this with a grain of salt. Only speaking from experience, don’t know jack about false advertising.

Is it, really? Depending on the answer it might not be.

“We couldn’t do it” That’s not good enough, do better. You’re not inventing space travel here, but walking down a well trodden path.

“We abandoned the idea in favour of a better solution” Would be a blatant lie, so they can’t say that either.

“Time constraints prevented us from completing such an immensely complex system within an acceptable time frame” After two delays and many years of development to fail to deliver a basic system is still unacceptable.

Make up any reason, any excuse for them to have scrapped it and you’ll realise it doesn’t work. There is no excuse, they clucked it up and refuse to elaborate.

The truth is that their code is spaghetti and pisspoor design decisions midway through development wasted their time and effort away, leading to the release of a rough, unfinished, consumer-unfriendly product.

Of course they’re being silent about it.

4 Likes

Lmao just found this thread had some fun reading around, and i can say that right from the start, if were judging Hedge on this post alone, then he is totally fine and i totally agree with you and Mason.

Snarky entitled question = snarky response.
Just because he is a PR manager and he has to be above this stuff, doesnt mean he can just allow himself to be disrespected as well as the team, at every comment. I think the ocasional snarkier hit is good to put people in their place, you want good communication IT MUST COME FROM BOTH SIDES.
Given that what happens most of the time anyway is just silence is the response we get due to half the people just making angry comments instead of thought out questions, i think its better to get one of these.

Plus the way things are just pushed and pulled from the games seems to be very all over the place, like V2 versus, dead silence on that even though at this point everyone knows its cancelled.
From the times ive interacted with Hedge, and what ive seen from him, hes totally fine.

1 Like

Game isn’t Cod.
BUT:
Shop
Character skins
Character accessories
Weapon trickets
Weapon camos
FOMO
Gambling

Now can’t we just add
“Weapon accessories”

5 Likes

Except it was A PROMISED and in MAGAZINES FEATURED system.
Darktide WAS supposed to have it and the 100% confirmation it will not be there was
“this isnt CoD”
F-ck off thats all there is to say to it

3 Likes

It was one of the last times Hedge commented, too. Ever since this needless shitstorm kicked off he’s been silent. Goes to show what a bit of outrage can do.
What little Fatshark now communicates comes exclusively throught Catfish, it seems.

It wasn’t promised, though. It was a “work in progress” comment that they were excited about. Were they working at it at the time? Yes. But for one reason or another they scrapped or postponed it.

Plans change. Always have, always will. Yes, it sucks that it happened. But holding onto that one lone comment (that they clearly scrubbed from the internet with the intent of correction their statement) isn’t going to help matters other than making you bitter.

1 Like

Questionable-at-best community manager response aside - the game would benefit greatly from an attachments system. A lot of guns’ default sights suck, and having different options would be real nice. Same with anything that changes or adds functionality. Doesn’t have to be massively in-depth.

5 Likes

Yes, but they could have said “Hey, our plans changed and we decided it wouldn’t fit the game anymore (which is bs but thats another topic),” instead the only answer we get was this disrespectful comment. Whether or not it was directed towards this one person doesn’t matter, this is FS’ response to everyone who was wondering what happened to attachments.

1 Like

They sort of did. The response was overwhelmingly negative. shrug