We Need A Report Function

No fully automated report system ever works well.
I get automating at the base level; IE: The system counts the number of reports, then flags it if the reports breath a threshold.
At that point, a person looks at the reports, and takes action.

The only thing an automated system should have power over is temporary mutes.
Like, if someone spams the same word/words repeatedly in a short time; the system can give them a few-minutes chat timeout.
Or if someone is reported repeatedly for mic-spamming, the system can mute their mic.

But anything above that should 100% only be actioned by human mods.
IE: Racism, threats, bigotry, etc.

OK, I agree. But then thereā€™s still a problem regarding determining what is and isnā€™t an offensive comment (bar overt cases). There isnā€™t a hard line, as it largery depends on the reception (i.e. how the possibly offended person feels about it).

That being said, I still donā€™t think this is a problem enough in the community, to call for implementation of such system, which will drain resources. And these resources are needed elsewhere right now, as many systems need adjustment and features are missing, not to mention other technical issues.

We need to remember, that FatShark doesnā€™t have Activisionā€™s or Riotā€™s resources, but also the tide community isnā€™t as toxic as playerbases of those games are. You need to hire people to manage such a system, if itā€™s not to be fully automated. Even then, such systems donā€™t work flawlessly, you can take YouTube as an example, where flagging system and support are abysmal.

TL;DR: a solution to a non-issue (or an issue that exists on very small scale) thatā€™d eat up resources desperately needed elsewhere.

Thats the thing, I foresee any report system being used more against these players than actual toxic people, simply because of their respective volume.
Noobs would get reported more than the occasional racist.

1 Like

Indeed, Iā€™m familiar. However, Iā€™ve not used that function due to the fact that we are all learning the game. Its still in beta, and I would be foolish to assume everyone has some level of ā€˜Tideā€™ or even ā€˜coopā€™ experience before. Iā€™m certain that in my beginning hours of playing co-op games I committed the very same actions that I find frustrating today.

And granted I could always pipe up in chat about their perceived behavior but I usually simply prefer not to. I am by no means the ā€˜Gaming Policeā€™, and I am almost positive that they will find good friends and discord mates who will advise them on such things; which would serve a much more benevolent medium for learning than some random joe (myself) typing at them in common chat.

Thanks,
Gunship

A touchy question, given the amount of replies and debate that the OP has generated.

I would repeat my previous statement. I truly only control myself and my behavior. It is simply not my place to pass judgement on a fellow gamer while playing a video game; frankly thatā€™s not why I play video games.

I think quite a few replies have stated the truth of the matter. The ā€˜muteā€™ button and ā€˜blockā€™ function can work quite well in situations where I found further interaction with a fellow gamer unacceptable.

Had a guy make sure he could hear us and we could hear him then started saying racial slurs. The hecc is wrong with people ā€¦

1. Reporting players is an option when you submit a support ticket to Fatshark already, so while this isnā€™t integrated directly into the game, you can already report people.

2. If you donā€™t feel itā€™s your place to report people, then not using the feature is completely within your power.

3. There is an argument to be had that, when a person purchases and engages with a game, they are agreeing to respect the gameā€™s TOS. If the player breaks the TOS, it is not unreasonable to have their access to the game revoked. You can pay for a membership to a group, but if you refuse to follow any of the rules, being kicked out of that group without receiving a refund is very likely. Now the TOS should be evaluated for reasonableness, and the processing of reports needs to be done carefully and without bias, but there are times when someone can have their money ā€œwastedā€ due to their own behavior.

I donā€™t think this is priority number 1 for the game, but I also donā€™t think itā€™s a massive waste of time and resources. I donā€™t think the system wonā€™t see those who wish to abuse it, since most every system has those that would do so, but not implementing a system because somebody will try to abuse it doesnā€™t make much sense.

All-in-all, what Iā€™ve read of the thread seems to be people taking extreme ends of an argument and pretending like edge cases are the norm. Report players for abuse if you want. Donā€™t report people if you donā€™t want. Having the option present doesnā€™t force you to use it.

2 Likes

And repeatedly failed to recognise that the FS team almost certainly doesnā€™t have the resources to do so. Few people are outright against a reporting system, theyā€™re against players being the ones who arbitrate acceptable from unacceptable at a level that can lead to consequences outside of the immediate situation (in this case, the mission).

No they didnā€™t. Youā€™re using ā€œracismā€ as a blunt object to beat people into submission and shut down their arguments against a reporting system. Nobody is saying racism is fine.

And yes, being a moral busybody is toxic as hell. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with trying to be a good person (whatever that means), but attempting to force your own standards onto others is definitely toxic.

1 Like

So, if the devs added a report feature (Which, letā€™s be honest, could have happened regardless of my thread. Iā€™m no one special).
And I reported people for breaking any rules set by Fatshark (Of which ā€˜Donā€™t be racistā€™ and ā€˜Donā€™t threaten peopleā€™ would certainly be on there)
Would I be a ā€˜moral busybodyā€™ for using the tools Fatshark provided to help enforce the rules Fatshark set?

Or am I a ā€˜moral busybodyā€™ because you disagree with my morals?

Iā€™m not trying to force my views on the game, like people seem to think.
I do not set the rules. I am not asking for Fatshark to enforce MY rules.
Iā€™m asking for a report feature to report which are, in the lack of anything to base it on (On account of it not existing at the moment), based on the common ToSā€™s in other online games. You know; every online game to exist saying ā€˜Donā€™t threaten peopleā€™ and ā€˜Donā€™t be toxicā€™.
And, 99.99% of the time ā€˜Donā€™t be toxicā€™ includes ā€˜Donā€™t be racist or bigoted towards people different from youā€™.

I, literally, have yet to see a game with a report system that allowed hate speech.
So I donā€™t get why people are saying these are somehow MY views being ā€˜forced on the gameā€™.
Itā€™s literally the same ToS literally every game has had since the dawn of online gaming becoming mainstream.

But sure; Iā€™m the ā€˜moral busybodyā€™ and trying to ā€˜force my viewsā€™ on the game.
Whatever allows you to dismiss my points, I guess.

I am not dismissing your points. I am agreeing with the other poster that aggressively pushing your personal outlook on a topic onto another person is toxic. Back to the point that led to this, though: Them calling you a moral busybody does not equate to ā€œracism is fineā€ or ā€œreporting is badā€.

Fair enough.
Maybe it should not be priority #1.
But I maintain I did not get aggressive until I had people telling me to leave the community and calling me a female dog, for DARING to suggest a report function.
Oh yeah, and the guy attacking me for my PFP (Seriously; Itā€™s always ā€˜Look! A FeDoRa!ā€™ Itā€™s a bloody hat.)
A few of those posts were removed, either by the poster or by the mods.

And when I get irritated, I get snarky.
As Iā€™ve also said; I accept those times where my snark gets me in trouble. Iā€™m not above the law (so to speak).

I do believe that you didnā€™t mean to come across that way. But (to me, at least) your opening post comes across as though you consider yourself superior to others. I suspect thatā€™s probably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Apologies.
I get soapboxy about hate.
I lost a friend to homophobia. His dad is the typical ā€˜All gays are an affront to jeebusā€™ type. (Not bashing religion. Iā€™m Christian, myself). So he took his own life when he could not come out without fearing his dadā€™s reaction.
And Iā€™ve a permanent limp and about 60% less teeth because another friend (who was a roommate at the time) started believing autism is fake, and decided to ā€˜beat the lazyā€™ out of me. He had about a foot and a half, and 125 lbs on me.

So I get very wound up where hate speech is concerned.
Because Iā€™ve seen, first hand & many times, when hate speech turns into actual consequences that can change, or end, lives.
Which is why I donā€™t believe ā€˜Words donā€™t hurtā€™, which is a primary excuse of those who say ā€˜All censorship is evilā€™.

So yeah; I got a bit frothy in my opening post, and I did not see it.
I ainā€™t above anyone. Hell, Iā€™m slower than most. :grin:

1 Like

Donā€™t apologise, thereā€™s nothing to apologise for. I think most people know you didnā€™t mean any harm and as youā€™ve said, itā€™s a highly charged topic.

I donā€™t think anyone is arguing that we shouldnā€™t be able to do anything when faced with this stuff. Mostly the disagreement seems to be around what we should be able to do.

Fair. My pointā€™s probably been made clear through the thread, so Iā€™ll leave it there, rather than rehash it.
May just back into Darktide; so close to Rank 10! Just so tired of logging into matches in progress and being 5 miles behind a group of speedrunners.
Not because they are zipping; Iā€™m the odd duck out and need to play as the team requires, but because catching up before another wave spawns is almost impossible. x.x

L Ratio cope

6 Likes

Your posts are filled with such entitlement.
ā€œThey should expend a significant amount of human resources to implement a human-operated system of reports, just so I can get a person who hurt my fi-fies bannedā€
Alright dude, just mute them. Yours, or anyone political feelings arenā€™t on the top of the list of priorities for this game.

Oh please; tell me whatā€™s entitled about a report system.
Or is it that Iā€™m ā€˜entitledā€™ because you disagree?

Using ā€˜fee-feesā€™ in an attempt to belittle my topic.
Smooth.

Uhh, racism, transphobia, and other hates are not ā€˜politicalā€™.

But your post is nothing but an attack in an attempt to stir up trouble, instead of a discussion.

20221121163943_1

This pissing contest of a thread is hilarious.

1 Like

Whatā€™s also hilarious is the amount of people who actually live by/believe in the Imperium of Manā€™s tenants, when their whole schtick is dark satire. :grin: