VT2 and jumping (frustrations)

Jumping puzzles are great, if you don’t like them - use sienna BW to teleport.

Righteous Stand, for example, has a old skip for first grim(can grab it from below by jumping, I think anyone but dwarf can do it). I’ve done this every time such that I forgot how to get it “properly.”

Widening the discussion, I think the jumping puzzles for grims is quite a dated and fairly annoying addition to the game - epecially as a means to getting improved loot. It’s one of the things I like about playing Cata is that people don’t get hung up getting tomes and grims and just concentrate on cruising through the level.

But that’s the point - there has to be a way to slow you down if you want more looties. Geometry is the least offensive way of doing it tbh.

Yeah, I curse the devs all the time at these annoying jumps, what they probably consider ‘fun’. No, they aren’t.

1 Like

There are other ways. Like making it harder somehow. Wow literally implemented buttons for this but other ways would be the skull from the event or similar.
Is like a way to add random modifiers similar to deeds during the level. Or have a boss spawn during events if you choose to. There are lot of ways without geometry or blocking an item slot, effectively limiting tactical choices.

That being said, I don’t mind jumping puzzles. Especially if there are multiple ways to get it done. Righteous stand grim 1 is a good example. You can try the fast and hard way jumping from the bed stand, skip it with certain ults or do the it the long and easy way.

again i used to nail that jump maybe 33% of the time, by simply aiming over the basket while spamming E, now after they changed god knows what, the hitbox where you actually grab the grim is barely a pixel and i need 10+ tries until i get fed up and depending on the team waiting or not,
just stop bothering with it entirely.

Spamming never worked for me. I always tried to get the timing right and it works quite often. Not counting the odd run once in a while where I can’t get it working at all.
In a premade I let the team run ahead while I try and if I can’t make it faster than they get on top, one jumps down and takes it and we go up together. Works with random as well sometimes.
Skipping is mostly not a good option for me because at this point I mostly play for weeklies and yeah… There is a quest for that.

War Camp is the only parkour I have trouble with, and at this point I’ll happily walk past Grim 1 every time.

1 Like

My point is that nothing in the regular gameplay should require a specific character ability in order to make it reasonably doable, as described in the original post.

1 Like

Read that advice a long time ago, tried it a lot, no success.

And that’s my point - they are difficult, but reliably doable if you take your time without e.g. BW.

In many cases, the difficulty or ease at which certain books are obtained through jumping puzzles appears to be poor design. Some you can skip the jumping puzzle, others the jumping puzzle seems to have crude geometry with no consideration about how the physics in-game work.

1 Like

Abilities are not required, they just make it easier if you’re not good enough at it.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks for reading the entire argument, Mr ‘Git Good’.

I actually hate the 1st grim of Convocation, the button puzzle kills more momentum than a simple jumping puzzle that I have ingrained into muscle memory and can just complete by running ahead a little and let my team catch up when I get it so we keep a nice tempo through the map. Furthermore, the button puzzle is worsened by the fact that pressing the wrong one creates a longer cool-down to press again.

In my recollection I’ve managed to pick up the book as dwarf that way, in fact I find this way much harder, and much more fun, than conventional because there is only a tiny time-frame where the message to pick up the grim appears.

Not an argument(let’s not pretend you are able to argue this), just facts.

If you are not able to grab it then maybe your hands are not fast enough to play this game at a difficulty where you need to care about books to begin with. Or are you telling me you just don’t press anything at end of dodge and instead just eat the slowdown?

1 Like

I feel that 1st grim of COD is actually a good one, because all you had to do was keep pressing the one closest to the door to grim. No real jumping puzzle or use of brain involved.

It doesn’t matter if it’s the correct door or not, you can just keep spamming it until door to grim is open, then you have 50% of getting the next one correct. Nobody needs to go upstairs to look at the symbol on door(don’t even need to remember the symbol on first door).

I thought they moved it way further to the back to make it harder to pick up from jumping on the ground.

It was doable with all characters at release but I haven’t see it done on any dwarf careers(except maybe slayer) in recent years.

But if you press the guaranteed one first followed by guessing on the next two, you figure out the order without having to check or guess more than once

2 Likes