Objectives for the rework:
- Make Unchained less tanky but give her more tools to actively avoid damage
- Make her more powerful at high overcharge, compared to the live version
- Make her melee-focused, but still able to cast from time to time (just not able to spam magic)
- Make it easier for new players to learn to play her without exploding
Base HP – reduce from 150 to 100.
Blood Magic (passive) – leave as it is: 50% damage taken transferred to Overcharge.
Slave to Aqshy (perk) – change to: No Overcharge slowdown. All ranged attacks cost 4 times more Overcharge.
Unstable Strength (perk) – change to: At high Overcharge, increase Attack Speed by up to ~40% and Power by up to ~20% (both melee and ranged).
Expend Heat (new perk) – Upon reaching critical Overcharge, prevents exploding and violently expends all heat, staggering (but not damaging) nearby enemies. Has a cooldown (anywhere between 60 and 120 seconds).
Living Bomb (active ability) – change to: Sienna explodes, dealing damage to surrounding enemies. Damage is based on the current Overcharge. No longer clears Overcharge. At full Overcharge should do enough damage to kill Cata Marauders. Radius similar to Kaboom.
- Unchained will have much less effective health than before, but still much more than Pyro or BW (even if BW has a 30% Damage Reduction talent). I want to give Unchained more damage, but that has to come at the expense of tankiness – otherwise there will be no sense playing Pyro or BW.
- Unchained will not be able to spam magic because each cast should fill about 40% of her overcharge bar. However, she will still be able to cast by reaching 100% overcharge, waiting a few seconds before it cools down to 95% and casting again. However, her spells will charge faster and hit harder due to Attack Speed / Power bonus at high Overcharge.
- Unchained will be more effective in melee than she is now. I chose a high Attack Speed bonus as her main boost because it works greatly on Slayer and Zealot, making them feel super strong in melee. The added Power bonus should also help, increasing stagger/cleave as well as damage. (In the live version of the game her 60% Melee Power don’t affect stagger and is additive with Properties).
- And finally the most important point: the role of “save me from exploding” feature is transferred from the active ability to a new passive. It essentially does the same thing, with one major difference: it should be easier for new players to learn to use. The problem with the ability is that new players always use it to do damage to enemy hordes, while the proper way to use it (in the Live version of the game) is to always save it until you need it to prevent exploding. With the suggested changes, using the ability to damage hordes will no longer be counter-productive.
Unchained’s talents will require extensive changes. 15% Attack Speed talent should be removed – Unstable Strength perk should provide enough power on its own. Bulwark should be changed to Smiter.
In general, talents should not provide significant DPS boosts – instead they should be focused on utility and survivability – e.g. something like Dawi Defiance, dodge range, etc.
Things like Enfeebling Flames and Searing Grasp can be kept as they are.
Lvl 20 talents (Dissipate, Conduit and Numb to Pain) should all be removed – Unchained will no longer be focused on manual venting. Instead I suggest making a row of talents that provide the player various ways to speed up the cooldown of Expend Heat. Example:
Talent 1: While Sienna is at 0% Overcharge, Expend Heat cooldown recovers X% faster
Talent 2: While Sienna is above 80% Overcharge, each kill reduces the current cooldown of Expend Heat by Y seconds (can proc once per Z seconds)
Talent 3: Taking damage reduces the active cooldown of Expend Heat
So the player will be able to choose whether they prefer to stay at 0 overcharge while Expend Heat is unavailable (safety at the cost of power) or to play aggressively but risk exploding.
And that’s it. As always, thanks for reading!
P.S. Another random idea:
Magic Hangover perk (replaces Expend Heat) – Upon reaching critical overcharge, Sienna doesn’t explode but she looses the ability to use her ranged attacks for X seconds, and Blood Magic gets disabled for the same time. So when you screw up you don’t die, but instead you loose your ranged attacks, damage reduction and melee buffs for a while (because no way to gain Overcharge).