The downsides of extra toughness

Extra toughness on a curio might sound tempting, but as it stands, it’s actually a risky choice.

The risk comes from the presence of the “% of missing toughness bleed-through damage” mechanic. While having more toughness means you have to take more damage to increase the bleed-through %, it also works the other way.

Having more toughness means you will take longer to recover back to high toughness %, meaning you’re more vulnerable to increased bleed-through damage for longer than someone with a lower max toughness.

This is especially unfortunate because there are an assortment of things that happen in the game that delete 100% of your toughness, no matter the actual value.

This means if you have high toughness, things like fire straight-up deals more damage to you.

The presence of the bleed-through mechanic means that the bonus toughness stat is not really a wise choice to take.

The bleed-through mechanic is important, but I think it needs changes.

I believe if bleed-through only starts when you are at a specific value of toughness, not %, we’d be in an okay spot. A change like that would mean that extra toughness will always act as a buffer, and never come with a significant downside.

In the end, I think something needs to change in order to make extra toughness actually mean you get tougher.

2 Likes

This actually depends on how they regenerate toughness. If toughness is regenerated based on percentage, as in you regenerate 2% per second, it would only be beneficial. If it’s a raw number, then yes, there’s a risk since you’d take longer to regenerate all of your toughness the more you have. If you look at the feats, I believe they all say you recover a % of your toughness, not a raw number, so this is likely how all of the regeneration works.

1 Like

The bleed-through mechanic is awful, this is just a bad idea, it makes the toughness completely useless when you dont have anymore hp and trying your best to survive by gaining toughness little by litlle.

I have no idea why they are doing this, its ruining the experience

• a Zealot
4 Likes

Bleed through makes 0 sense, why have a shield at all if random grunt #45 can just get behind me while I’m focusing an horde with low HP and full toughness to fend them off, and whack me once with a shiv and down me despite doing everything right,

3 Likes