The 4.3/4.4 Changes to Shade's Ult Are Bad – Analysis and Suggestion

There are already ‘large’ description boxes on mouse over. Nine lines here to describe Bulwark. It’s obviously not a matter of space.

talentbox

I understand that things are meant to be kept short and crisp, players shouldn’t overthink everything and get the impression of reading a detailed manual or a research report. Many probably don’t even care as much. But I genuinely dislike when essential effects are not mentioned. Like the 25% CDR on Indiscriminate Blast or other hidden base stat increases (WHC/Shade +5% crit chance).

Inconsistencies with wording are another annoying thing. Huntsman and FK have ‘auras’ that give buffs, Engineer ‘increases X of nearby allies’, and Waystalker’s Rejuvenating Locus just globally ‘affects the other members of the party’. Of course, it’s the same mechanic but it’s described differently and confuses those who read descriptions closely. What’s even worse, it can make people second guess the functionalities of mechanics: Does an ‘aura’ have a larger AoE than just a ‘nearby’ buff?! Interestingly enough, the AoE of those career passives is different IIRC - but whatever.

There is no consistent glossary in regard to talent descriptions either. Games like Path of Exile also don’t tell players everything (and have vastly more complex things to describe than VT) but it is known that, for instance, wherever the keyword ‘recently’ is used it definitely refers to a time period of four seconds. But Grinding Gear Games, too, are inconsistent when it comes to ‘nearby’ for example.

In VT, there is ‘vastly increased combat potency’ (Radiant Inheritance) whatever this means (I know what it means because people checked the code). There is ‘increases stagger power’ (Staggering Force), ‘increases the strength and range of the push’ (Repel) and ‘increases stagger effect’ (Crunch!). There is also ‘power’ almost everywhere but Virtue of the Discipline mentions ‘power level’ for whatever reason. All of this not only hides numerical values but it also diminishes the accuracy and/or reliability of the talent descriptions.

1 Like