Shield stormvermin are tedious to fight

It’s almost as if some weapons and classes are better designed to deal with specific threats or something.

Chaos have Chaos Champions. They’re way tougher.

It’s almost like the 2 different enemy factions have intentionally different enemy types for more variety or something

1 Like

Anyone who has significant issues with shield stormvermin have skill issues and should stop.

THIS IS FUN

They have Chaos Warriors, the Champion is Ribspredder

eh, you knew what I meant.

CW’s are much tougher than anything Skaven got below mini-boss.

I don’t have problems with them, as a wizard they are almost boring to kill. I want a comparable chaos champion, I like symmetry. The chaos big choppas are there, where are the shield bosses? Storm rats unfair to chaos.

I don’t…

I want variety. Not “oh look, 2 skins for every enemy type”

1 Like

rat lover.

Not really?

I don’t find Shield Stormvermin really all that hard.

Not that CWs really are either TBH, but they definitely take more effort to kill.

They’re tanky “deal with this” enemy, and each faction has it’s own spin.

For you, CW’s are probably easier because of your specific character. Others can barely even scratch him, but can stagger and hurt shield rats

1 Like

Were looking at 2 scenarios here.

1)theres nothing stopping you from killing it at which point theres no need to surround it.
2)its around other enemies and if you try to surround it youre breaking the line, getting surrounded and showing you back…

bright idea…

1 Like

We saw your furry rat suit on the forums! rat lover!

Naw I don’t mind shield rats, I just want more shield use in the game. Wizard shields even! Fat men with shields teleporting all over the place! Crows with shields!

I actually like fighting 1 or 2 of them. It’s when they’re 4+ together that things get a bit tedious. Which is when we start using bombs.

As Bounty Hunter i can One Shot Chaos Warriors. Unhuman beeings in magical armor and a nurgle body and all this sht (this censorship is stupid. You can cut rats and humans in half, but i cant say sht in your forum!?) .
But a wodden shield of a Skaven? No chance. They block everything.
I got a nice red Zweihänder, but i cant use it, since these guys are everywhere.

3 Likes

The Answer is being a slayer with an Axe. Fulfill your Deathoath

1 Like

On the whole I agree. Maybe if they didn’t have completely unbreakable shields with nearly 360 degree blocking, they might be defensible. But in their current state, a party of randoms without a hammer is basically ruined if one of these bois spawns. It’s nonsense. Especially since the mace can’t even pierce their armor except for charge attacks sometimes, which is also utter nonsense. At least the two hander can do something.

So yeah, shield stormvermin need a change. Remove the obscene block angle and make the shield breakable and we’re good. I’m pretty tired of being in parties of people with swords and maces just slapping these guys around until eventually they have the good graces to politely die.

They don’t have 360 degrees, if anything it’s about smaller than the players own shields.

As with any shields, they can be staggered and damaged or more easily taken by the sides. Any attack that swings from left to right is very cheap against them.

You can also bruteforce through shields as long as you take the correct weapon.

This is another thread that seems to going to quickly degrade into - developers should make X difficulty have less/weaker shields

But I will agree with the OP that lategame is kind of broken because there’s so many armored/shielded enemies that it’s hard to justify taking weapons strong against hordes.
Shieldwalls stack too well with other strong enemies since they just go through one another while spreading and mitigating damage.

As relative strength/threat I would place aproximattely
1 shielded stormvermin = 2x regular stormvermin
1 lonely shielded stormvermin = 0.5x chaos champion
1 shielded stormvermin in a shieldwall = 1 chaos champion
4 shielded stormvermin + 4 chaos champions + fodder = wipe

This is the problem. A lot of enemies scale up very well, Shield Vermin not. They can block swings easily, making the strategy to hit them until they let their guard down impossible to execute when facing many of them. Teamplay can only help as long as there are one or two teammembers not getting sieged by them. At some point they just build the impenetrable wall of shields. There are too few options to deal with them in such a case. Shield Vermin are the biggest cause for wipes on Legend as far as i experienced.

6 Likes

Just played numerous matches with Shade using dual daggers and those shields are nothing.

Just spam attacks and you hit so fast the shield flies away repeatedly and fast enough that you can make stabs to the head.

Don’t understand how people have issues with the shieldvermin.

Do they take longer to kill (i.e. more than 1 or 2 hits), sure. Then against, most of the crap in the game dies way fast anyways besides the bosses so nice that there are at least SOME mobs you need to actually work a bit on killing.

That all said, easiest way to kill them is to turn them so their back is exposed to a teammate who then p promptly backstabs them.

Called teamwork :wink:

That’s a feedback from skaven in Vermintide 1 about players :grin:

Seriously, though, it’s all about randomized conditions and how you deal with them. Having a dedicated special killer/armor breaker in your party should help a lot.
As well as knowing/learning maps and checkpoints (maybe, not trying to aggro every enemy on map).
I rarely met these shielded guys during hordes (surely not on champion, maybe legend is more dense), usually you can see them in patrols or as ambient trash. And I don’t think they are part of normal hordes at all. Maybe very little chance of spawning, same as chaos warriors. So as long as you plan your moves as a team you shouldn’t encounter many of these dudes when fighting off hordes.
Then again, there’s a slot system, that won’t allow them to come close if you position regular mobs as a shield. There are ults and bombs .

I’d like to add that Sienna’s beam staff opens them up in a second, blast to the head to finish. Something is terribly wrong if teammates cannot buy these seconds for designated killers, imho.

Strafe to their sword hand when you attack, it opens up for the kill faster than strafing to the shield side. As soon as I figured this out I found them enjoyable to fight due to the tactics.