Random info on Engi

Just a thread to discuss build ideas and mechanics you’ve learned on the new Engineer Career.

So far, the build I’m enjoying most is:

///////////Flamethrower - Chaos/Inf/Berserkers (Heat Sink)////////// As of 26/11/2020, Heat Sink with Leading Shots has no interaction with the fully charged flamethrower. Thermal Equalizer or Hunter are recommended instead.

Axe/Mace and Shield
Superior Gaskets and Innovative Ammo Hoppers, seem like the best choices to me. Too much Cranking is frustrating and leaves you vulnerable.

He’s incredibly glass cannon, but the damage you can get off is crazy if you’re enabled by your team. Unlike GK he’s very team oriented.

Funnily enough, his Pistol and Cog Hammer, seem to work better on every other Career.

Shotgun doesn’t feel amazing on him, even with the Ammo after 5 melee kills. I also experimented with Scrounger, using the Crank Gun to get 4 stacks of Leading Shots, but it still felt a little slow and underwhelming. He’s really good with the other guns though.

Questions I have:
Does Cooldown Reduction on Trinket reduce the time it takes to reload?

What is Armour Piercing Slugs interaction with Flamethrower/Drakefires, and what’s the densest enemy it can pierce?

Is Leading Shots (Heat Sink) or Thermal Equalizer better?

What breakpoints can he reach with Handgun?

Feel free to add your own. I’ll add them here and any answers.

1 Like

I started playing him with the superior gasket, then switched to the one where you don’t lose pressure while shooting (mostly so I could do some challenges). And if you plan to shoot the crank gun all the way it’s much better - you can shoot without side effects, and after all, if you don’t lose the buff, a single crank is keeping the stack at 5. Handy for hordes.

I like to use the “career weapons” when possible, for fashion statements, but I think the best ranged weapon to complement the crank gun is the handgun: fast and far-away shots, which is what the crank gun is lacking.

I thought about using the flamer, mostly because you can - while maintaining some anti-special capability - but its best feature (horde clear) seems to be a bit redundant with the crank gun. Why do you use it? Which difficulty?

Leading shots’s awesome to improve armor damage with the ultimate.

3 Likes

Cata, and rotate between the Flamethrower/Crank gun depending on the range/Elite density needed and also to get more out of him, since he doesn’t get the same health sustain as IB. You don’t need to burn overcharge as much, because it’ll go down during Crankgunning.

Yet to try it on a deed, but I’m assuming it’ll be quite insane. Especially with the Special killing Ult.

1 Like

Try it! It’s amazing. It can definitely pierce SV and I THINK it pierces CW, also.

2 Likes

Well I just saw a Reddit post where a bunch of people tested if it affected basically anything at all and the verdict seems to be that it’s a dead property on Engi.

I’m really curious if cooldown regen increases do anything. Does FK’s Inspiring Blow affect the regen rate of pressure stacks? Does GK’s CD regen duty?

Has anyone tried Resourceful SS with leading shots on Drakegun or similar? Does it regen any bar?

So many questions, gonna have to get a mate onto modded to help me test some of these unless they’ve already been worked out and I’ve missed some posts.

1 Like

Came to the same conclusion and quite honestly, that should change. The trinket property should speed the meter gain from cranking by 10%.

1 Like

Yeah that or reduce the cost of firing by 10%. Either would be fine honestly.

1 Like

Honestly: That’s even better!

1 Like

Ok tonight me and a mate jumped onto modded to test a bunch of stuff related to Engi. All testing done in keep with creature spawner difficulty set to legend.

Firstly tried heat sink with leading shots on Drakegun. Worked fine for left click but unfortunately seemed to do nothing for the alt fire. Couldn’t discern any heat refunded on alt fire at all. For Drakegun Engi I’d say stick to thermal equaliser with armour piercing slugs, or if running leading shots maybe Hunter Or RSS (but Ult gains from RSS are really minimal).

Next up tried using FK’s Inspiring Blow to speed up Ult charge. First we timed from first crank to a full Ult bar using superior gaskets and hoppers with nothing else for the control and got 58 seconds. As a side note this puts pressure stacks at about 0.4 Ult units per second per stack, so you generate around 2 units per second with 5 stacks (default Ult has 60 units, hoppers has 90).

Then we tested with Inspiring Blow and to my great surprise it generates Ult cooldown even when Engi has no pressure stacks! Couldn’t be bothered figuring out the exact amount it generates sorry. Then we tried with him doing the full cranks again but with me as FK continuously shield bashing a group of SV the whole time and it took it from the previous 58 seconds to fully charge down to 35 seconds! Basically Inspiring Blow FK + Engi = Chad Combo.

Couldn’t be assed testing with GK’S Ult regen quest. Who knows how that might interact with it.

Now for Grudge Raker shenanigans.

Firstly as posted elsewhere GR bashes do indeed proc leading shots so with Scrounger you can push x3 then shoot over and over for effectively infinite ammo. Honestly a bit bonkers if tedious to manage.

Secondly, also as posted elsewhere, GR bash does indeed proc piston power. It’s super weird though. It doesn’t seem to generate as much stagger as melee weapons do. Piston Power couldn’t reliably stagger CWs out of their attacks with GR bash, but could with coghammer heavies so… Piston Power is basically still a complete mystery to me. No idea how it works lol. Piston Power + GR bash could reliably stagger everything under a Chaos Warrior though. Genuinely hilarious against groups of SV.

Lastly Armour Piercing slugs did indeed seem to increase the cleave of drake pistol alt fire, but as far as I could tell only took its total enemies hit from 10 up to 11 so definitely not a big help there. I imagine it’s significantly more impactful for Drakegun but that one seemed like a nightmare to test so didn’t try :man_shrugging:

Hope y’all enjoy the info. If anyone wants to double check any of it or do further testing that would honestly be sick. Gonna tag some people not already in this thread who might find this stuff interesting.

@Velsix @Incandescent @TmanDW

5 Likes

Yeah, I really can’t tell if it’s making a difference or not.

Just tested and you get about the same from each, so it’s either not or barely working. Gonna report it as a possible bug.

Also it’s kind of bitter sweet, because I’ve had such success playing with a build that doesn’t work, and now I can use something that does. rofl

Would be sad if they didn’t make it work, because Leading Shots seems like one of the better choices for the Crank Gun too.

1 Like

I guess it’s internally consistent? After all the alt fire ticks don’t actually cost any heat, it’s the initial charge up that costs heat, hence there’s nothing for heat sink to “refund”. Regardless it’s silly that it has basically no effect for the alt fire. It should just remove a small chunk of heat per proc in this instance. Works fine for the left click I guess but that’s not really a lot of help…

It’s still pretty good for ammo sustain with the MW Pistol, or easy Hunter procs with either Drake fire weapon, or scumming infinite ammo with Grudge Raker (aforementioned bash interaction). All that + better armour damage for the crank gun is a solid niche. It would definitely make sense though if it also worked with heat sink. Armour piercing slugs is real good and hard to compete with though gotta say.

1 Like

Silence!!! :shushing_face: :innocent:

I CAN RUN HUNTER ON MY FLAMETHROWER!!! :drooling_face: :triumph: :triumph: :triumph: :triumph:

1 Like

It’s basically barrage that’s easier to proc and lasts twice as long right? What’s not to love?

1 Like

It’s just a shame Leading Shots is on the same row as Scavenged Shot.

42.5% Melee Power would be insane.

1 Like

Interesting findings, especially the Inspiring Blow one. We might end up seeing Engineer + FK replacing Ironbreaker + FK pairings for duo runs.

Edit: Not to derail but would anyone happen to know if Fatshark ever fixed bomb Slayer + Dawi Drop or does that trick still work now after bombs were buffed on Cata?

2 Likes

it wouldn’t be, Drakegun already cleaves pretty much everything in its effective range (up until a limit of like 200 maulers or something stupid)

it works :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes
Why not join the Fatshark Discord https://discord.gg/K6gyMpu