On-Topic Wednesdays: Stuff you wish you'd have learned sooner

Tell me about “Hidden Strikes”, please.

Push attacks aren’t obvious to everyone even by themselves, but dual Hammers at least have a unique, quick follow-up to that. If a normal (quick) attack is made immediately after push-attacking, you do a quick overhead that’s not seen anywhere else in the attack pattern. Similar attacks are found on the Elven Two-Handed Sword (a quick, wide sweep) and Glaive (a very heavy overhead) after a heavy attack (though the Glaive’s one I’d hardly count as hidden as it comes down whether you try a heavy or a light attack afterwards; the Elf Two-hander is pretty familiar for all veterans as the attack was changed to its current form at one point, before which it worked as a normal heavy combo).

There may be other, less impactful and visually obvious ones too. Some also may consider the Flails’ ability to hold their heavy attacks indefinitely as this, as it’s also a feature that’s not really advertised.

3 Likes

Kruber Push-stab with the sword/shield is his most effective armour-killer I think, which is “hidden” unless you understand how to do a push stab.

1 Like

I wish I knew how to avoid getting hit through block.

I use parry and will block a second before an enemy hits me and yet, even though parry shows it blocked it, I still lose half of my health.

seriously, guys, how do I avoid this bug?

There’s no bug that causes it. Some bosses have an unblockable attack, mostly overheads (like the rat ogre’s ground slam), but most people who report this are simply suffering from ping.

Since being attacked is essentially handled by the host, if the host sees, on his side, that you weren’t blocking when you were attacked, then you take damage regardless of if you saw that you were blocking. This is usually a good system, but when your ping goes above 150 or god forbid, 300, you start getting ‘hit through block’ more often than not, and have to be very attentive and block real early to avoid getting hit.

5 Likes

Sadly sometimes its even being host will make you take damage through block.

I wasn’t talking about bosses but ambient enemies. It does happen to me even when I host as well as other people who host and I have fantastic internet.

Why would parry indicate it working when I still lose hp? That doesn’t make sense and needs to be fixed honestly.

If it’s multiple attacks simultaneously it makes sense. If you have parry up and take a hit from an enemy your parry will break for just a moment and then be reinstated for a new full parry duration. It’s super useful if you’re lucky with it and don’t have too many enemies attacking you but if you get unlucky you take a sub-sequent hit during that short moment your guard/parry is broken, which will damage and stagger you.

If it’s solo enemies then I have experienced it previously but not since a few patches (with the exception of archers attacking from behind without me noticing).