Off-Topic Fridays: What Else Are You Playing?

I stopped playing The Division 2 some time before the raids were released (lack of meaningful content). How is it nowadays?

Borderlands full completion is pretty fun (don’t know about pre-sequel) but please reconsider doing all achievements for Bl1’s claptrap DLC and coliseum because that profanity will drive you insane.

I love this. Really good use of role-playing and most likely hilarious (for them) in a DnD setting.

A really good substitute!

Ont: Came back to V2 in time for beta, Borderlands Pre-Sequel on and off and finally finishing off Transistor, which I enjoy more this time around. I purchased it because of how massively impressed I was by the masterpiece Bastion.

4 Likes

I honestly have no idea, at the moment I just do the weekly invasion and bounties for specialization points haven’t even tried the raid, not all that interested until more gear sets are available as none of them fit my play-style at the moment.

2 Likes

Well, I haven’t really found it “grindy” as much as I’ve found it me setting goals for myself. It’s pretty much Stardew Valley in a cute little Medieval Fantasy scenario with… horrifically morbid undertones. If you find Stardew Valley grindy, then you’ll find this as much the same.

At one point you earn the ability to automate certain processes, which is something you can tech towards really early. Spend about 5-6 total hours playing and you can be there… but I faffed around much longer than that doing other stuff :slight_smile: totally worth it, IMO!

2 Likes

I think you can improve :slight_smile: the hardest part about the game is remaining observant… watching for those sneaky little buggers who try to get by your guards when you aren’t looking.

Honestly, though, they made a grueling and difficult game. I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to take on the swarms… but I also encourage everyone to give it a go :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been getting into Warhammer 40k. Just the other day I bought the “Dark Imperium” starter pack, and once I muster the courage (and learn how to paint) I am going to take my “army” to a game somewhere in my area and see if I like what’s going on. If I do enjoy it, I will start collecting a more interesting army (while adeptus/heretic astartes are cool, they are too “vanilla” for my taste). Astra Militarum and Necrons are the two biggest contenders for me, with Genestealer Cults as a runner-up.

If anyone has any recommendations for how to get started (especially with the social aspects, I have extreme social anxiety and even going to the big gaming store and buying the starter pack was hard enough), that would be much appreciated! Vermintide is great and I will always play it, but I’ve come to learn that video games as a hobby leaves much to be desired, and when one spends all of their spare time playing them it blackens the soul and darkens the mood.

4 Likes

Wait, DnD teaching people to not go for the clichéd and/or optimal approach? That’s new… (Okay, yeah, I know that there is a reasonably extensive system for backgrounds in the fifth edition. I still think the approach is still too mechanical, and doesn’t offer much tools to role-play after character creation. At least it’s gotten rid of most of the annoying number-crunching; nowadays it actually resembles something I can honestly recommend for newcomers.)

As an add-on, this weekend’s board games ended up being Splendor (in which I kicked arse), Cacao, Race for the Galaxy (in which I got my arse kicked) and Unearth.

4 Likes

I dunno, I made a pretty edgy chaotic Grave Knight. :joy: The DM made the terrible mistake of giving me a wand of wonder from Acererak. He randomized it with all kinds different spells and things. So far I’ve fireballed an inn, killing our quest givers and a lot of civilians. Helped drop a wizards egg onto a city killing around 30,000 people, authorities are still sifting through the wreckage for bodies… And we now have nearly every bounty hunter in the world after us. As well as the revenant of a old party member I killed for trying to stop me from using the wand of wonder. Needless to say, things are going great and I started my own squad, the Chaos Squad. lol

2 Likes

Ooh, Splendor is a good one. Can definitely vouch for that one, even if there’s ample opportunity for broken friendships (and/or broken noses).

W- wizards lay eggs?

And they explode with enough force to destroy an entire city, killing thousands?

Looks nervously at Sienna
3 Likes

Sounds like I’m going to have to give Splendor a whirl, sometime!

Wizards do all sorts of weird stuff in every universe. In D&D there’s a brood of Red Dragons so concerned with the powers of illusion wizards (because an illusion wizard can decide which parts of reality are real, which parts of an illusion are real, and which parts of reality are an illusion) that they’ve stopped warring against mortality to study them an prevent the collapse of reality via someone making too many eggs :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I have been playing a lot of Vermintide 1 and Arma 3 lately on a Invade and Annex server and have been having a pretty good time of it so far.

5 Likes

Elite dangerous and quick sessions of Crash Team Racing.

4 Likes

I probably have somewhere around 1200 hours of GTA Online. I own almost everything of value and have finished most difficult challenges of that game in the PVE department. And I know exactly what you mean. Once the game went from GTA to Military Battle Royale Griefers Market it was all downhill from there. And it’s so sad since the heists where some of the best gameplay I’ve ever had in any game ever. The game is rotten to the core. Eventually I just got fed up with it and quit it. I probably still have over 10 million laying around to no use.
I’d say if you want an amazing single player experience. Buy GTA V and play it. For multiplayer, avoid it at all costs.

ROCK AND STONE BROTHER!

4 Likes

:pick: ROCK AND STONE TO THE BONE! :pick:

4 Likes

This thread just made me realize Vermintide 2 is pretty much the only modern video game I play. I am trying to start up a recorded play-through of The Summoning (1992) if that counts. Couldn’t find any on the internets and felt sad that this gem has faded into total obscurity.

3 Likes

Ah, man, I finally picked up some games I’ve wanted for awhile during the Steam sale. Haven’t gotten to them all yet, but I’ve really been enjoying Hollow Knight and Nier: Automata. :slight_smile: A friend gave me Nier, didn’t think it was going to be for me, but it’s got some good humor and an interesting story!

3 Likes

Been loving the heck out of Deep Rock Galactic myself! Although I keep trying to dodge and being disappointed that I can’t, stupid vermintide reflexes…

I’ve also been playing some No Mans Sky, and I keep trying to get into TWW2. Haven’t played the total war games before, it seems super cool, just such a steep learning curve trying to get the hang of everything.

I also play quite a lot of City of Heroes, a totally awesome MMO that was shut down by NCSoft forever ago but recently got revived by some fans that managed to get their hands on the server code, so that is pretty sweet. They’re even developing fixes and new content for stuff.

5 Likes

Which parts of TWW2 are you having the most trouble with? I’ve played a fair bit myself and might be able to give you some advice.

3 Likes

LINK PLS.

4 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/

There was a bunch of drama behind the “new” server but it should be open to everyone now.

1 Like

Yeah, things have settled down somewhat. I’ve been playing on Homecoming, but there’s quite a few servers running slightly different versions of the game to choose from!

2 Likes