KNOWN ISSUE: Unable to View or Type in Chat

This is still happening, is there any fix or even developer comment on why it’s happening?

Issue Description: - User cannot see or use chat box, such as, cannot even see the “Joined Channel Mourning Star” or anything

Steps to Reproduce:
Happens on launch, must always restart the game upon initially starting from computer reboot.

Mission Name (If Applicable):
N/A
Platform:
Steam

Player ID:

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
N/A

Reproduction Rate:
100%

Upload Supporting Evidence:
N/A

Upload Console Log:
console-2022-11-20-20.17.28-0ec54d80-06a9-4362-8d18-e45e49eb7396.log (2.7 MB)

Upload darktide_launcher.log:
darktide_launcher.log (402.0 KB)

My guess is that for whatever reason, the chatbox fails to connect and then there is no kind of statement to check whether you are connected to chat or not and then attempt a reconnect. Also, when this happens I cannot use or hear voice chat.

Issue Description: The chat window won’t open at all, despite pressing enter, or rebinding it and pressing the new key. Sometimes it will open but will show no messages anyone sends, and sending my own messages makes them disappear, it’s fully broken.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Press the Chat Open key either in lobby or in-game
  2. Notice that it either opens and shows nothing and sends nothing, or that it doesn’t open at all
  3. Cry

Mission Name (If Applicable): /

Platform: Steam

Player ID: STEAM_0:0:7555424

All day everyday since beta has opened

Reproduction Rate:
Constant 100%

Most of the time, the chat window doesn’t open at all

Upload Console Log:
console-2022-11-20-00.03.40-fcdb9d15-2121-46ce-bb52-a3b6f99004ec.log (397.7 KB)

darktide_launcher.log (209.0 KB)

I also have no text chat, no voice chat, and have not had either since the beta opened.

1 Like

Two days ago, I crashed, came back and chat actually worked, I could see messages, and send messages myself. The next time I launched the game, it went back to broken and hasn’t worked since. It’s like I have an extremely low chance that chat will work everytime I launch the game, pretty neat feature.

I still don’t have chat at release. I do see other people reporting this issue in the discord. Some get it occassionally to open, and some like me don’t have it at all, or lost it on a particular update.

1 Like

I have the same issue, too, I was surprised I could type after reconnecting from the game crash. That was the first time and the last time I was able to type in the game. Plus, the game population is separated between XGP ver. and Steam ver. it makes the XGP ver. a lot less player than steam.

i have the problem after patch today. not sure if that or because i had to launch launcher and game as admin without fullscreen optimization to get the launcher to launch the game. one caveat is my team was able to use text chat and see each other’s messages. I could not see anything but system messages though it seemed to allow me to enter text and submit. they couldn’t see what I submitted. they were able to use voice chat and I could hear them though they could not hear me through either p2t nor voice activation.

Having this issue as well. The interesting thing to note for me is I have both Xbox Gamepass and Steam versions of the game.

Steam version works; Xbox version I cannot see text I type on submit, I cannot see others’ text, and voice chat does not work despite turning it on in settings and setting my Push To Talk up. I’ve had this issue with the Gamepass version since launch.

1 Like

Are there any updates on this? Playing a co op game without text or voice chat is… less than ideal. lol

So, that’s a no on the updates then? Not even a replay with like “We’re working on it?”

Sorry that I got to you late, was waiting on some replies on how that was going! I’m afraid that I don’t have any updates but we are indeed working on it. The reports we’re getting is helping narrow it down, though, it seems to be a connectin issue. Some users report being able to fix it by dropping their VPN, or opening up their NAT settings to something less strict, or switching from IPv6 to IPv4. It’s inconsistent, though, what fixes it for some doesn’t fix it for others. Our developers are looking into the root cause.

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can investigate your issue properly.

In-game chat doesn’t work. Nothing comes up when I press enter to try chatting.

I’m using WiFi hotspot from my phone for my laptop to play the game. I was told by other users that this is a bug with people hotspoting the game.

When is there going to be a fix for this that doesn’t involve connecting to a non-hotspot WiFi connection?

Just FYI, both this and my vc work as of the latest update. Thanks!

Issue Description:
Text chat randomly stopped working during a mission and stayed that way for a few missions.

Steps to Reproduce:
[Please add the steps that can help our QA department in reproducing the issue. For example:]

1. No idea

Platform:
[Steam/Microsoft Store]
Steam

Player ID:
[Steam ID/Steam Profile URL/GamerTag]
Blaergh

[MM/DD/YYYY, 00:00AM/PM] [TIMEZONE]
04/11/2023, 12:30AM MST (USA)
Reproduction Rate:
Once - Rare (<10%) - Unusual (<25%) - Common (<50%) - Often (<75%) - Constant (100%)
Once

[Screenshots, recordings, links to Twitch VODs, etc.]

Upload Console Log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here
    console-2023-04-10-06.23.43-9c0c9e1e-1c00-4794-bbc7-5ca1c74aef5a.log (1.7 MB)
    console-2023-04-11-05.32.11-53b13884-ba40-431e-bd98-c6635a206d06.log (860.6 KB)

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here
    darktide_launcher.log (461.8 KB)

PLEASE POST CRASHES AND ERRORS IN THE ‘TECHNICAL SUPPORT’ CATEGORY INSTEAD

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can add it to our database for investigation.

Issue Description::

Undera few different circumstances, The chat seems to suddenly stops working properly, requiring the client to restart. The chat fails to listen or receive any messages sent by other players or my own, including social wheel inputs (“Thank You!”) or custom made messages.
The input box also “crashes” sometimes, Like it’s frozen. sometimes the [Strike Team] signer is still present but other times it is not.

Steps to Reproduce:

Some circumstances that I’ve noticed in which this bug occurred;

• Inputting a long message (perhaps breaking some sort of data limit?)
  • Game client disconnect to login page after a error disconnect and reconnect (another similar thread0
  • or seemingly no reason at all

Bug seems to occur game-wide.

Platform:
Steam

Player ID:
Not necessary

Within the last 3 weeks or so, at least within the current patch but likely pervasive and in several previous versions.

Reproduction Rate:
Once - Rare (<10%) - Unusual (<25%) - Common (<50%) - Often (<75%) - Constant (100%)
Common, Happens a noticeable amount.

Upload Console Log:
console-2023-04-09-16.24.27-a4ef95f2-0ec1-404f-8ce4-54fdd531a2e2.log (2.6 MB)

darktide_launcher.log (459.8 KB)

It’s happening right now

Still have this issue, but only while teaming up with friends. While solo, I can see and use the chat without problems.
We also always talk over Discord and I have the Discord overlay on while this issue occurs (not sure if related)
Thanks for your time working on this.

After a significant amount of time of this error no longer occuring, This bug seems to be happening again in the latest major patch or hotfix with a few different symptoms.
In my cirumstance, it happened right at the beginning of a match after a team mate sent a few messages. When I tried to reply, it did not send any messages, however The [Strike team] Chat thing still persist even to the morning star.