KNOWN ISSUE: Unable to View or Type in Chat

*Edit: Fixed
Seems it was my VPN that was preventing the chat function from working. Disabled it and chat is working again.

Having the exact same problem - the chat worked during the beta but has stopped working since the full release. I cannot see the chat nor bring it up by hitting enter. Restarting the game/pc does nothing.

Console Log:
console-2022-12-02-22.41.53-fcec44d1-0975-4555-bd5d-cc4c457991c5.log (839.4 KB)
console-2022-12-01-21.28.10-1cb97c32-aa1c-4993-8d30-f8426d09df1b.log (247.8 KB)
console-2022-12-01-21.18.26-90495df2-1536-45e0-93da-8be18fed4343.log (17.6 KB)

Launcher log:
darktide_launcher.log (542.0 KB)

User config:
user_settings.config (3.6 KB)

1 Like

I have managed to solve my chat issue. By formatting everything, and installing Win10 from a USB boot media, and then reinstalling literally everything. This, for some reason, fixed the chat issue for me.

So, if anyone with this issue feels like taking drastic measures to fix it, here you go. Maybe it’ll work for you too.

1 Like

Thanks Kinoniko. Not sure I’m willing to go that far just to get chat working again :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If you are on Win10, you could also try resetting the OS through the recovery settings. It retains all your files and apps if done right, and may also solve the issue. Didn’t work for me, but it was one of the things I tried.

1 Like

Having this issue also. Only began today. Been playing since Beta, never had any problems chating. Was even playing yesterday, no problems. Today, doesn’t work anymore. Playing on Steam, keybind is ENTER key. Enter works to open Chat overlay. I type whatever I am going to say and press ENTER to submit my message. Overlay goes away as it should. But message does not post.

1 Like

following. chat does not work for me as well.
restarted game and pc. got the new update (today) on game pass. same thing.
enter works to open but only option is mourningstar. whatever i type does not send.
i tried closing my firewall as well but nothing.
friend i coop with has no problems with party chat though. weird.

The chat relies on a third-party service. We’re talking with them how to best make sure everyone has access. We will also enable more debug logging around this in future patches, so we can drill down the actual issue.

Please share any solutions you’ve found that work for you, and we’ll relay them to our chat provider to help us resolve this for everyone.

1 Like

I’m playing on PC game pass and since launch I have never been able to use text chat. I can open the chat box and see “Joined channel: The Mourningstar” but messages I send dont appear.
Opening chat while playing a mission also shows the same “Joined channel: The Mourningstar” instead of the strike team channel and I cant see anybody elses messages either. I’ve played with friends who have told me other players in the strike team are using chat and I’m unable to see messages sent.
I’ve seen a few others on the darktide subreddit mention this and it seems to be specific to game pass but, as mentioned, I’ve played with others on game pass who can use and read chat with no issues.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Launch game on PC game pass
  2. Open text chat and see “Joined channel: The Mourningstar”
  3. Sent messages dont appear and I cant see others

Platform:
PC Game Pass

Player ID:
FittestGuide380

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
Always since launch

Reproduction Rate:
100%

Upload Console Log:

console-2022-12-05-12.12.42-8897f98c-7d57-4ba5-b44c-b3f20a7c5927.log (821.6 KB)

Upload darktide_launcher.log:

darktide_launcher.log (167.8 KB)

I am having exactly the same issue on gamepass version of Darktide. I have gone through all sorts of trials with port forwarding, router setup and other bits without success. The lack of chat also appears to extend to voice chat. Without either of these, the game is essentially useless…

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can investigate your issue properly.

Issue Description:
I cannot use the group chat. Upon hitting enter, the chat appears, only mentions “joined the Mourningstar”, but anything I send does not show up, and I never see any group chat by my teammates.
It seems that voice chat is disabled as well: push to talk key does nothing.

Crash Report (If Applicable):
No crash.

Error Displayed (If Applicable):
No error displayed.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Launch any mission.
  2. Open chat
  3. Type anything then send
  4. No chat appear, either from me or other players in the strike team.

Mission Name (If Applicable):
Irrelevant.

Platform:
PC Gamepass

Player ID:
MonsieurGrumme

Happens all the time.

Reproduction Rate:
Constant (100%)

Upload Supporting Evidence:
None at the moment, can provide some.

Upload Console Log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here
    Can’t get those at the moment, will do later

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here
    Can’t get those at the moment, will do later

Hi @MonsieurGrumme,

This issue is on our radar and under investigation.

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/unable-to-see-or-type-into-chat-chat-keybind-does-nothing/57971/26?u=fatsharklev

Apologies for the inconvenience whilst we iron this one out.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response.
Just to clarify, the chat keybind does work in my case and brings up the chatbox. It’s what comes after that is not working.

1 Like

My partner and I did not have working chat(voice or text) until we initiated the below fix. We had the issue since the early access beta. Because the fix is technical, I asked for a write-up in case it helps anyone.

A summary for non-network admins: Chat is handled by a 3rd party in a way which I have not encountered before in other multiplayer games. Whatever you have that affects web traffic(router, firewall, virus software etc.) may be preventing you from accessing chat.

Here’s the write up for our full solution, which may not be helpful to most people:

How we fixed chat. Worked 100% for us and is repeatable.

Our specific setup includes an OPNSense router running Squid as a web proxy for web traffic inspection and filtering. All traffic through ports 80 and 443 is inspected.

Squid is configured for SSL inspection but not decryption. (“Log SNI information only” is enabled in the OPNSense interface.)

Traffic to the chat servers is not being blocked by the proxy in any way. Whitelisting the servers in the proxy is insufficient to fix the issue.

Allowing traffic to the Vivox servers to bypass the proxy (using port 443) gave us full access to chat

Vivox Servers:

V5 subnets

The following list is current as of September 29, 2022.

63.251.140.0/24

69.25.124.0/23

70.42.198.0/23

71.174.102.210/32

74.201.102.0/23

74.201.106.0/23

74.201.105.108/30

188.42.95.0/24

188.42.147.0/24

216.52.53.0/24

https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407491745940-Vivox-What-IPs-and-ports-are-required-for-Vivox-V5-to-work-

The issue has not recurred since the configuration change was made.

I would presume that our setup is rare but the possibility that other various web protection packages are proxying or inspecting traffic may mean this helps someone else.

That’s it!

I did not see this thread, but I wrote about something similar in the Bug section. Hope it helps :

Issue Description:

Unable to see chat messages or interact with chat (4G mobile data).

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Launch game using 4G mobile data internet access
  2. Join Mourningstar
  3. Attempt to open chat by pressing enter
  4. Get a chat window without the “joined the mourningstar” message
  5. Chat window remains empty (not possible to submit or receive text message)

Mission Name (If Applicable):
Mourningstar + any strike team

Platform:
[Steam]

Reproduction Rate:
Constant (100%)

Fix:

Launch game using modem/livebox internet access
Join Mourningstar
Attempt to open chat by pressing enter
Switch internet connexion to 4G mobile data
Get sent back to character selection (error 9999)
Select character
Get loading screen
Receive error message at the end of loading (error 9999)
Join the Mourningstar nonetheless
Interact with chat normally

You will be unable to interact with chat again if you enter the psykhanium.

Strange bug I’ve had for about a week - normally when launching or joining a mission you’d get a notification in text chat akin to Joined Channel [Mourningstar] / [Strike Team].

I’ve not had that, and as a result I can’t see messages from other players nor can they see mine.

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can investigate your issue properly.

Issue Description:
Chat is blank. No text displays. No one can see my mesages and I cannot see anyone else’s messages.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open game on any character, on any level.
  2. Open chat window.
  3. Type stuff.
  4. Nothing happens

Platform:
Steam

Player ID:

Since purchase November 24, 2022

Reproduction Rate:
100%

Upload Console Log:
console-2023-01-27-00.53.21-b304ac6a-5426-4f97-9111-93b76aac6fcb.log (51.1 KB)

darktide_launcher.log (1002.7 KB)

Thank you for your report! Is this 100% consistent for you?

Yes, It has been this way since I bought the game. I’ve verified the installation and re-installed and it doesn’t change. Whether I’m on the Mourningstar or in a mission, the chat window is just a blank box. I’ve verified with friends that my messages don’t show up in chat.

Its the same for me I tether from my phone using 4g

Issue Description: When I try to access the chat, I cannot, even after reinstalling, validating files, and changing the keybinding.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Play as any character
  2. Press the keybind to open the chat
  3. Witness it not in fact opening

Platform:
Steam

Player ID:
[FaolDeTeine]

Reproduction Rate:
Constant (100%)

Impossible - I don’t have a keytracker installed.

Upload Console Log:
Most Recent Log attached,
console-2022-11-19-14.02.07-a80c12fb-8123-4138-a24d-1c46ed019104.log (277.4 KB)

Launcher Log attached.
darktide_launcher.log (644.0 KB)