Huntsman is in a weird place rn

I dunno, admittedly it’s been a while but iirc the repeater can shoot the dummy from all the way over by the keep archway and still not experience any falloff. It has significantly more base range than something like the BoP for instance.

You could say the same about crossbow; gotta load that before or after switching.
If the bow is loaded, you can skip a lot of the animation and fire it almost instantly from melee.
Even if it’s unloaded, it’s not as slow as people make it out to be.

2 Likes

But regarding this I already said that I was giving a general summary speech and that obviously, with the crossbow, you have to reload before shooting… I know it… but it has other advantages.

Regarding the videos it’s obvious that Man Bow fired faster… you used the light attack, while with Elf Bow the loaded one (and it’s paradoxical how, even loading the arrow, Elf Bow can almost match a Man Bow’s light arrow).

1 Like

Of all the faults I think Huntsman has, his ranged weapons aren’t one of them.

I just don’t think he needs to have 4 talents dedicated to getting headshots, 5 if you include Make 'em Bleed since no one takes that talent without Making it Look Easy.

I’d like at least 2 more talents that let me do things without having to be so focused on that.

4 Likes

Kruber’s melee weapons are fairly slow/low mobility compared to the ones other heroes have with the exception of Bardin’s melee. All of the other ranged careers have access to attack speed from at least one talent (Waystalker’s is the most questionable, but Kerillian’s weapons are much faster and more mobile than Kruber’s). Kruber doesn’t have any mobile ranged weapons either, which is also true for Sienna (MWP, BoP, Griffon-foot, Swift Bow).

BH’s ult has a shotgun that staggers most of the things in front of you. It’s a part of why Just Reward still has a place in true solos and can compete with Double-shotted. It’s good under pressure now because of the cleave buff. The time taken to fire it is lowered by attack speed and BH generally has better Swift Slaying uptime due to faster weapons as well as attack speed from Steel Crescendo.

2 Likes

His kit simply has bad synergy with his weaponry and available traits for weapons, which is partially owed to the fact that bb and repeater don’t work as well with the available weapon traits as manbow and hg do.

2 Likes

HS good weapon options spear or spear and shield optimally reduce dodge and block move, but he has other options they are just “worse” you can play with 1h sword or mace for more speed but your melee is less viable vs for example 2x hammer RV / any dual wield WS, or rapier / falchion / BH ect which have very good high dodge / mobility melee options

2 Likes

the rest of your statement is so cherry picked, based on the 30 talent it can be used for everything but the stagger alone makes it somewhat defensive / panic option viable.

1 Like

I simp for LB Huntsman so I hope this thread doesn’t make him worse, I love having a high skill cap career I just want the reward to justify the effort when so many careers are brain dead. A good HS should perform better than a WS that just knows how to press F.

4 Likes

Medium arrow, charge 3 is overkill damage for majority of specials.
Going into charge 3 from melee also skips a lot of the animation.
The point is, manbow is nowhere slow as people make it out to be, in some cases it’s faster, in other cases it’s marginally slower.

We have the traditional pick 1 out of 3 talent row system, but I wish FS would expand Huntsman’s level 20 row for even more headshot based talents.

People go on about bad synergy between his kit and weapons, notably repeater & blunderbuss.
Blunderbuss I can understand but I’d argue HS uses Repeater Handgun better than other careers would.

The best thing FS could do for Huntsman is bake some of his headshot reward directly into his passives and open up a way to proc his boosts outside of headshots, e.g crits.

From there, just more interesting talents I guess.

I think tying his talents both to headshots AND critical hits might be a good choice to consider. I mean, he has “conservative shoot” built into his kit already AND he gets a crit bonus, why not put those together and also give him 5% ammo return on critical hit as a passive and build everything towards triggern both on crits and headshots… and even bigger bonus on crit headshots.

That could get out of hand very quickly. WNWN proccing on crits would be enough.

Turning Huntsman into a hs/crit career at least gives struggling players a chance to proc his boosts, pseudo random distribution ensures players wont go too long without a crit.
Passive Makin’ it look easy gives every build a way to influence crits.

Them changes alone would improve his reward and accessibility/synergy.

Blunderbuss synergy could be further improved with a 100% accurate center pellet like grudge.

1 Like

I don’t know about all that theory crafting saying Huntsman is equal to Waystalker. He just isn’t. Maybe if you compare a really good player who plays Huntsman to a average Waystalker player.

Comparing bows, I totally agree that Huntsman feels „slow“. The elf bow is faster. Charging it feels like double as fast. While providing the same damage basically. And don’t argue with „but if you always hit headshots“ nonsense. It just isn’t happening to a degree that Waystalker isn’t just better with way less effort.

For the ults I also agree. Sure, invis is nice but it really isn’t the same „rescue bad situation“ button as Waystalker and Bountyhunter.

Again it’s way slower. If a hook mixed in a horde grabs a frontliner for example…

Waystalker presses f, arrows will immediately kill hook. And even if it’s not finding its way to the hook, then it hits a solid amount of the horde - providing space.
Bountyhunter presses f and cleaves his way to the hook, killing it.
Huntsman can go invis and try to get the hook with regular shots. All he can do are 2 things: hope he lands the one shot that kills the hook, and doesn’t always hit horde mobs. Or go the spam arrow route, creating space but probably don’t solve the hook issue.
And one more time it’s way harder and slower for the huntsman to deal with the situation.

As for melee combat Huntsman feels like a bad frontline career. Not agile enough to change positions fast. Once again the other ranged careers outshine him with better mobility, allowing better positioning faster.

Shouldn’t slower ranged speed be compensated by the ability to position yourself faster? Not for the huntsman. Again, waystalker gets both. Faster range and highest mobility weapons in the Game.

In my opinion, with about equal player skill, there is absolutely no reason to pick huntsman over waystalker.

1 Like

Worst thing about Kruber’s arsenal is he’s not elf. His weapons represent who he is; crude, “slow”, and powerful.

I just don’t think WNWN should have been his premiere career passive, it’s on the same level as his crit aura. His talents rely on getting headshots to the point where it’s honestly discouraging. It’s no wonder FS tried the Sure Shot thing.

That’s why I think they could combine some of these headshot talents and make room for other stuff. Give him a better reload talent, maybe instead of tying it to headshots it should be tied to literally anything else. Make it trigger on melee, hitting enemies causes 30% reload speed, now you got a talent that functions when you’re under pressure. Instead of skill-gating a minor 20% buff from the player you have a buff that works based on how threatened you are and lets you get back to shooting while in danger. You’re free to disagree, but I don’t see the point of rewarding someone taking potshots at a target that’s not moving from a mile away.

What’s another aspect of hunting we can make a talent of? Well standing still to get the right shot is something players are already doing, maybe decrease weapon spread and aim-punch by half while not moving. The whole headshot thing is causing players to stop dead in their tracks to waste time lining up shots right before they get backstabbed to death by a lone slave rat, so let them get the shot off before they’re punished for doing what the game is telling them to do.

Combine Longshanks and Thick Hide, move speed is always a defensive talent and 10% is actually quite viable for escaping and repositioning when paired with weapons that have a move tech. Now we have a whole spot for another level 25 talent and I’m feeling lazy so let’s go

Sure Shot: every 20 seconds your ranged attack counts as a headshot.

I think it’s pretty awesome, it gives Huntsman a lot of leeway and flexibility with his trait choices.

But yeah, baking some of his other headshot rewards directly into his passives would feel more rewarding. I dislike the idea of free headshots, talents proccing on crits is a good middle ground and can actually be influenced.

Huntsman is already very strong + Cataclysm feels too easy, powercreep is a very real thing.
Press F to win aimbot WS isn’t a good balance baseline and BH is arguably weaker aside from 1 - 2 builds. (Melee crit reset & reload Crossbow/Griffon-foot + Double Shotted)

About what difficulty are you talking? Because, at Cataclysm, charge 3 is all except overkill… you need it to reach practically every breakpoints.

But anyway, also considering only Man Bow charge 2 vs Elf Bow… the latter has still more dps and better breakpoint.

Yep, I see your point, but I don’t agree… wich is ok, I think we can remain with our opinions.

tbh my biggest issue with huntsman is his crit aura kinda sucks

there are careers that get 5% crit for free as a hidden passive lmao meanwhile hunts has to have a whole aura dedicated to it for some reason. Hell, Witch Hunter Captain gets a hidden 5% crit passive, hidden headshot bonus, pretty much a global crit aura out of a single talent and then gets even more out of his ult while also having a couple of the best passives in the game in killing shot and witch hunt.

Like yeah there’s an argument to be made that WHC is too stacked (which I’d agree with) but huntsman surely should have a little more going for him on a passive than just…5 crit. If anything Makin’ It Look Easy should be his passive and the the talent slot replaced with something else.

3 Likes

Yeah, I should have been clear, WNWN should not be removed. Just suggesting it shouldn’t have been the passive the career was built around.

Cataclysm. Hey man see it how you want to see it.
Charge 2 can one headshot every special including wargors, that extra damage is redundant/overkill.

Yeah I agree, I really want to push for passive Makin’ it look easy.
It’s a very fun and impactful gameplay mechanic.
Tweaking his talents to also proc on crits would solve the accessibility/synergy problems.

It’s essentially pseudo sure shot but purely the utility aspect of it; scoring a headshot increases the chance of more WNWN/talent procs.

1 Like

Of course, as if it was always possible to hit the head: in some moments it’s not possible at all. In some else moments the RNG can stop you (strange hitboxes, enemies that inexplicably move their heads when the arrow has already been fired… and without they having seen you). At other times it’s obviously the player’s skill… but even the strongest player will take more time if he has to aim for a smaller target like the head. And of course you have to consider a situation of confusion, tension, under pressure, when maybe you only have a second to jump to the bow and shoot, and then immediately have to go back to the melee weapon… when other careers can simply rely on Bloodshot and Blessed Shot for a confident bodyshot with instant weapons.

And let’s always go back to my main point: Huntsman requires more skill without giving unique/superior (compared with easier careers) rewards.

2 Likes