Hit registration is STILL pretty bad

Issue Description: Melee attacks and ranged attacks may play blood and impact effects but won’t stagger or damage the enemy being visibly struck. Similarly, melee attacks may play no blood or impact effect but still damage an enemy despite seeming to not have hit them. Push attacks (most notably on leaping Poxbursters) may do no stagger despite the blue hitmarker appearing indicating contact.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Play any mission
  2. Engage in melee or ranged combat and aim at heads. Seems to happen more frequently when aiming at head level.

Platform:
Steam

Player ID:
GiardiaGuardian

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
2:41 am CST 11/25/2022

Reproduction Rate:
Common (<50%)

17 Likes

Can you please provide some console logs of sessions where you’ve had this happen? You may find these by doing the following:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
1 Like

They’ve happened in about every session I can remember but this is my last long play session. It’s guaranteed to have happened a few times in there.

console-2022-11-25-04.23.20-0285ffa9-d27c-478e-a4d4-e5bd36b98e72.log (1.8 MB)

console-2022-11-24-00.50.31-e84584da-eac1-4aeb-9181-ed53f3471b1a.log (1.6 MB)

I would’ve liked to have some videos but I’m not very knowledgable about how to do that easily. I may be able to with Xbox game bar?

Ive noticed this quite a bit too, when I melee headshot 1 pox walker at what feels like maximum range, occasionally ill get no audio for the kill. If I didnt see its head fly off I would have assumed I didnt kill it. Not much of a problem but definitely momentarily confuses me.

Has happened at least 8-10 times that I’ve noticed, probably far more that i haven’t.

3 Likes

Yup, happens sometimes. Mostly to sprinting enemies. I’d hit them with a lasbolt to the head, their model would get damaged (a chunk of helmet/skull would be torn off) but I wouldn’t get a hitmarker nor deal actual damage

I’ve seen the same as Zytx. I’ve had a lot of issues trying to snipe because of it.

I just cleared a train raid where I had a prime example. I took careful aim on a traitor guardsman who was hardly a few pixels wide, fired a single shot, and saw blood spray out of his head. He even staggered, turned around, and ran at my team. Meanwhile, I didn’t see a hit marker, and he didn’t seem to be appreciably damaged when he finally caught up with us.

up vote.

the first hit on an enemy, they seem to be immune sometimes. Sound cue AND blood will trigger, but NO damge.

Very noticeable

1 Like

Here is four examples of melee hit registration being shakey. I was playing with the flame force staff the whole time so couldn’t get any clear video of ranged hitreg issues. I accidentally left the audio out on these, so apologies for that.

1. Guy dies with hitmarker despite no blood or impact effect

2. The heavy chop right after killing the first guy stops as though it hit the guy I was aiming at, but it does no damage or stagger. The audio for impact also played, although I didn’t include audio.

3. Poxwalker dies to push attack with hitmarker but no impact, blood, or sound.

4. Light attack on dog plays blood, impact, and noise but has no hitmarker or damage.

These are all from the same session and are only the ones I bothered to record. I hope these examples demonstrate what I’m talking about clearly enough.

8 Likes

Here are examples of it happening in ranged combat

1. Hitting the Shotgunner in the face that was just starting to run
  1. Hitting a running scab soldier
  1. Hitting a running trapper

This was all on the same map

5 Likes

Ive seen this too. It happens often enough that it has become a pretty serious issue

Since this afternoon for some reason Pox Bursters are completely immuned to pushback from Psyker’s Psy Wrath

Here’s a log for a session where it happened several times throughout the outdoors hive map with the thunderhammer (noticeably taking 3 hits to kill enemies that die in 2 hits max), and there was a really obvious one about 1/3 through that map where I ran up to a pox burster and pushed it twice (with the blue hit marker) to no effect whatsoever.

console-2022-11-28-00.00.26-4c02a752-a264-4f94-ac2a-4300e8d9aa8c.log (173.1 KB)

1 Like

Because of this bug doing the 100% accuracy penance the legit way is close to impossible. No wonder everyone cheats it. Here are some clips:

2 Likes

I’ll try to get some footage/logs next time, but just posting to say this is still a thing that happens fairly often.

It seemed better than beta while I was playing on Malice, but playing exclusively on Heresy I’m noticing it happen a lot more especially during hordes, so perhaps something to do with enemy density?

It’s extremely noticeable on the thunderhammer charge attack during hordes (ie: trying to knock down a crusher in the middle of a mob), where you’ll get the hit feedback for the thunderhammer charge strike (hit marker + audio and VFX), but no visible effect on the target and afterward the hammer is still charged with the next attack still being charged attack (which behaves correctly).

2 Likes

Nothing like hitting an enemy with a projectile, seeing them miss a part of their body, and walk off like nothing happened!

2 Likes

This happens to me regularly as well where I hit the hit effect on screen (wee maggots!) but the server registers it as a miss.

Also, sometimes my melee swing animations will literally get out of sync with what’s happening. For example, spamming left click on the eviscerator, the on screen animation may hang for a second and not look like it’s swinging but I still get hit markers and enemies are dropping. When it’s really bad, my first person view model may even start being an entire attack behind on the attack combo vs the attack that the server is registering.

1 Like

This hit detection delay also makes bulwarks a pain. You can swing your melee after he moves his shield to attack and get a blue hit marker for chaining his face. It almost makes me think you should not fix bleed applying to his shield, or certainly not address it unless this is changed first. It also makes the ton of light melees with hit stun specials very hard to justify when he no sells them and keeps battering you.

1 Like

Devs, please switch to client-side hit registration. It’s a PvE game god damn it! There is no reason not to.

6 Likes

Good point! - This should be changed with private lobby’s.

Hit registration has never been so bad. It legitimately feels awful to use the bolter. It’s definitely a latency thing, but it used to just be hit registration.

Now it’s weapon swaps, animations being cancelled, inputs being eaten, etc. Feels awful to play right now.

3 Likes