Game changes that have created difficulty spikes

Here are a collection of changes that I’ve seen that have lead to the difficulty spikes.

1. Knock back on enemy guns. Before you could charge into the enemy and know that you will take damage, but have the trade off of being able to suppress the enemy in melee. Now the game is set up so that this is no longer an option as long as there are more than 2-4 enemies firing at you as you will be knocked back and take to much damage getting into melee

2. Enemies melee range has been decreased. I’ve noticed that enemies have a lower melee range and will also make an attempt to complete their shots if they’re at a specific point of their animation. This creates situations where special enemy guns will do more damage for a longer period of time and be more difficult to silence with melee.

3. Damage feels worse. It might actually not be damage numbers, as we can’t see those, but it seems that the damage feels low. The enemies might be healthier or they might feel healthier because of other changes. In closed beta it would take roughly 1-2 hits to fell a basic grunt in melee at tier 1-2 difficulty. Now at tier 2 it can take 3-4 hits in melee. This could be because of a change in how damage is calculated based on level or because of other changes that I’m not aware of, but the damage feels low.

4. Some class talents are broken. Mentioning this I know that a lot of class abilities are broken. This needs to be the first fix before launch. You cannot have a game that lies about what it’s doing like this.

5. Enemies will shoot through each other. This is actually a real big problem. Enemies will shoot through hordes and other enemies. This makes the game incredibly difficult when it happens because you can get mowed down by special gunners while attempting to survive in melee against a horde of 100+ grunts.

6. If you blow a hole through a mans chest that man should go down. There are a lot of flashy weapon and damage animations in this game but they feel meaningless. If I use a lasgun to blow a hole through a grunt and that grunt doesn’t die from said hole then don’t show the hole. Show something else. It makes these very good animations feel awful because they misrepresent the damage you’re actually dealing.

7. Some weapons just feel worthless. There are tons of weapons in this game that just feel bad to play. This would require a lot of little balance changes. Like the Catachan Knife says it has Assassin and Swiftstrike. Those seem meaningless, but lets hope that this means it attacks fast and deals high damage from the back. I don’t feel the back damage increase or any damage increase in most situations and the attack speed is maybe 5%-10%, it doesn’t feel like it’s quickly attacking and that’s a problem. There are a lot of weapons that are just dead weight when you take them and they should get some, much needed, buffs.

8. I have no idea what weapons do and I have no idea how any weapon is better than the one before. The only hint that I have that a weapon might be a better choice than the one before it is bigger number. All the other stats are useless because we don’t understand slightly larger and smaller bars. I don’t understand why you would have kept this from the closed beta, but it makes the game harder by making it more confusing to determine weapon strength.

9. Absolutely everything stops you from picking up allies. You basically can’t pick someone up if you’ve been downed. This makes the game especially difficult because even ranged damage can stop a pick up.

All these problems can be seen on display in the boss fight. Something that has gone from a fight you could cheese to an all out slog that is nearly impossible to beat on even the lowest difficulties

6 Likes

I noticed this as well.

We 100% hit our teammates backs and cannot penetrate the enemies first line (at best just the second line) but the enemies can shoot from the other side of the room and hit us just fine.

Not only that, in maps with modifiers like darkness or fog and the like, we can’t see anything but they sure as hell can see us as if we were under a spotlight 24/7.

This need to be addressed and fixed.

1 Like

This has been something I’ve noticed as well, during the closed beta the lasgun I was using was able to 1 tap the plague walkers and do a good amount of damage on others and now that same weapon is 2-3 shots for a plague walker and many more for others. Its sad because the weapons felt like they had actual force and damage behind them in the closed beta.

1 Like
  1. Knock back on enemy guns. Before you could charge into the enemy and know that you will take damage, but have the trade off of being able to suppress the enemy in melee. Now the game is set up so that this is no longer an option as long as there are more than 2-4 enemies firing at you as you will be knocked back and take to much damage getting into melee

This makes total sense for elite enemies like Gunner, Reapers and Shotgunners, but applied to every ranged enemy it becomes unnecessarily painful.

1. Enemies will shoot through each other. This is actually a real big problem. Enemies will shoot through hordes and other enemies. This makes the game incredibly difficult when it happens because you can get mowed down by special gunners while attempting to survive in melee against a horde of 100+ grunts.

100% agree this is a massive pain.

1. Absolutely everything stops you from picking up allies. You basically can’t pick someone up if you’ve been downed. This makes the game especially difficult because even ranged damage can stop a pick up.

It’d be good if Toughness prevented this, not just for revives but Data Interrogators too. So frustrating to almost complete it and fail because some cultist with a broken pipe slipped your teammates. Though it’s probably also necessary to add damage reduction for players right after they’re picked up. I’ve had some moments where 90% of the health I’m revived with gets burned because I’m revived while under fire and I go back down within seconds. I’d honestly prefer the downed health timeout to slow or even stop if you’re surrounded by teammates, just to allow them to get some breathing room for themselves (and you) before getting you up.

2 Likes

You appear to block while picking up but ranged attacks break that. I noticed that my force sword with the block ranged attacks modifiers made me amazing at reviving.

I also notice everyone sprints everywhere and has no stamina because they’re bad :rofl: