Foot Knight needs some loving

There’s no more truly ridiculous screeching about balance on this Forum anymore, but the points @Revy has made are very valid - the balance IS quite badly skewed between those that can dodge well and cause damage, and those that can’t.

I used to quite like FK, and playing him quite a lot - when there was a fairly broken patch where the sword and shield were quite powerful he was a bit of tanky fun but now, … merc is a more survivable “Tank” than FK. there needs to be a clever discussion about cross-class/charatcer balance now that distances itself from the OMG WIGGLEMANCER HAS BEEN NERFED YOU SUCK FS!

1 Like

Well I think redoing that dodge-time-window into something not that ridiculously easy would effectively nerf dodging back a bit and re establish a lot of the lost balance.

I have made by self clear multiple times that a turn rate limiter would have been the thing to make combat more predictable.
I never had any problem with enemies tracking you that meant that dodging was a skill to be done at the right moment (late for maximum effect) doing it at the wrong time blocked you from doing it again when it would have been necessary.
Now you just mindlessly dodge when ever or even constantly as every enemy targeting you will suffer a shock unable to aim mindlessly slashing the air unable to continue to track you (even if the attack takes like 2s to complete.)
It’s just nothing like before and it also didn’t really achieve what it was (presumably) built to fix:

• Skating is still an issue unless the targeted player dodges.
  • 180° are still here and the dodge-window does nothing here.
  • It’s not any better for high ping, as the elite only stops tracking once the host received your dodge command meaning it’s essentially the same as before unless you dodge preemptiv (lol aka constant dodging).

I’m not against other balance suggestions but I think this change really is what just simply threw dodging out of balance with blocking and tackiness.

3 Likes

As in a limit on the speed that the player can move their field of view? Yeah, nah. That feels crappy even on games where it makes sense to have it.

There really should be. Balance between heroes is farked, and a lot of it is due to dodge being so easy to abuse.

I disagree there. I think those three are just as strong as any of the other mid-tier classes.

No the rate an enemy can turn.
This won’t stop mobs from tracking you but will force them to be a bit slower at it.
It will also hinder enemies like monsters to turn around instantly once they decide to attack somebody in their back.

I agree that dodging makes it alot easier, but so far, it makes playing as client so much more reliable that I’d rather not part for it for now. Playing as client now is like host before the change, alot of the game’s shenanigans simply won’t happen anymore. You do nip it in the bud about the issues that persist, but as lons as they do, I’d like to have dodging as it is.

1 Like

Ah ok. Wouldn’t that just make dodging/mobility even more broken than they already are though?

Or any ping for that matter.
Do you maybe constantly dodge in combat? (I do since that patch)
Otherwise I’m sorry but I can only credit it to confirmation bias othewise.
Is there something I’m not seeing here?

Why?
It would give them back the ability to track you. While removing their ability to instantly turn.
Them tracking you means that depending on your weapon’s dodge range you will have to adjust when you dodge as low dodge range weapons can only make it right before the end of an enemy attack. Dodging multiple elites strikes becomes much harder due to them not attacking simultaneously.

This makes the use of blocks and parry more necessary in case you do not have the dodge range or skill to evade hits.

Yes the game get’s easier against Monsters in case you didn’t always dodge dance no matter if you were the target or not because he can’t 180° you any more.
Obviously the turn rates can’t be horribly low otherwise it’s easy of course but I personally would give them quite high rates as I never had any problem dodging an elite before the dodge-time-window. For reference they should be fast enough to track a player with +10% move speed (reachable) walking around them.

Is there something I’m not seeing here?

In effect, what you’re saying is that the dodge window should be shorter, if I’m understanding you right. Can’t argue there.

Well that would be good for sure.
But that isn’t the same as what I’m saying not even close.
It wouldn’t bring back the skill ceiling that was there before.

Usually not. But since I do have alot of screenshots from old rounds (and I the last time I played was before the BBB and had not touched the game in about 4 months or so) and I take noticably less damage now (it’s not a rare occurence to finish rounds now where the only damage I take is from FF, single digits). I didn’t even know about the dodge change before I picked up the game again and was wondering why I received so little damage. It also felt like I almost never got hit by elites now. Might be confirmation bias, but I doubt it since I noticed the difference before even knowing the dodging was changed, so there’d hardly be any bias to confirm :slight_smile: Of course, maybe I have simply gotten alot better with ma skillz since my time out, but I doubt it.

1 Like

Now I agree that it’s much easier now. I disputed your point that there is a noticeable improvement as client over how it previously worked because of this:

Sure somebody else dodging will also make all mobs targeting him act extremely linear and reliable making it easier for everybody in almost all cases.

Sry if that wasn’t clear enough :confused:

Since I almost exclusively play rando-quickplay as client, that’s just my perspective on things. Like I’ve said, I first noticed something seemed odd before even knowing something was changed (I knew about the BBB but I didn’t know that the dodge timing changed). It just appeared as just ate alot less “lag hits”, whatever you want to call it. Not saying that this is the reason, but anything else seems rather improbable considering I have not played for some time and overall performance (especially on the new maps) on my rather powerful rig as dropped quite significantly. In any event and whatever the reason, I like how the game feels now as client :slight_smile:

I guess I’m just not seeing how a turn rate limit would change anything outside of those dumb boss 180’s. Most enemies lock in the spot they’re going to swing at a good second before they even begin their attack animation. Longer in some cases. If you’re talking about letting them track you after that point, that’s the same as shortening the dodge window. Is that not what you mean?

I get that what you’re going for is to stagger their attacks so that their hits would land in succession instead of all at once, but that already happens because a group of enemies won’t all reach their attack range at the same moment.

The locking in place you notice is from the window. They used to track you consantly they arguably were a bit too good at it at least for cham and below but more than fit for legend.

Also I never said I wanted elites to attack one after another i just stated that it is the case and it would be much harder to avoid them all if they were tracking you.

I brought this up to hedge, basically mobility weapons are all high tier, and some of the dodge reductions on slower weapons are massively punishing, like… if you get hit by troll vomit with an exe sword you might as well be rooted, you literally cannot move, how is that run at all?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.