Fixing Quick Play

You’re making a good point. The QP system is far and wide a great thing specifically because we avoid the horror that was playing V1 pubs before Q&C. Anyone who wants it changed specifically so they get ‘easier’ maps and dislikes it because they get ‘bad’ maps a.k.a. ones that aren’t a total breeze, are honestly not people I can describe with the world filter on this forum.

I however do not recall the last time the game didn’t try its hardest to force me to play either Righteous Stand or CoD at least twice a normal 4-5 game session. And when it decides to let up on those, it wants me at Fort Brax 24/7, and honestly that map is far far far easier than TSB will ever be.

Possibly GW is involved. However, the mod approval process in general is just frustrating and slow. It’s been how long since the last batch of approved mods? Nearly two months?

I think my main problems are (i) that vast majority of the approved mods (or those awaiting approval) are simple QOL improvements that probably should have been features, and (ii) regular patches from FS are incredibly slow.

Mods could have been a way to get around slow content pushes and other development priorities (like console ports), but the approval process seems like it might actually require more work than FS simply developing the feature themselves. Robin has admitted he has to review every line of code. And then they have to discuss whether the mods should be in the game, which eats up time they could have been working. Putting aside that this system has no way to scale – since it isn’t even really working well with the current trickle of mods. What if the player base was 10K+ and there were a flood of mods? There is no way FS could handle that workload.

EDIT: Oh, and we have to have every mod updated with each patch as this last patch demonstrated – which presumably also comes with review requirements. So as the approved mod list expands, the curation workload increases – not even accounting for the approval of new mods.

So, instead, we get to see QOL improvements waiting in an unmoving queue, just out of reach. This QP mod is a good example. It is painfully frustrating.

Oh and Hans just mentioned that they’ll all be going on vacation for seven weeks for Christmas, so I expect this problem won’t get better in the near future. /facepalm.

3 Likes

Could just adjust the maps that people don’t like. Obviously everyone has their own feelings about each map, but when there are a handful of maps that consistently make people groan every time they appear, that’s a flag that those maps could use some attention.

If you want that sweet emps vault you do, unless you get a map where you can get lots of loot dice from bosses.

1 Like

Actually a feature that I miss from VT1 that could help this whole situation a lot is the “vote for next map” thing at the end of the run rather than straight back to the Keep.

4 Likes

The only quests that forces you to do quickplay are the weekly quests with the Bog chests. Honestly, I haven’t gotten anything good from those chests so I don’t complete those missions.

For the daily quests that say, “complete 3 quickplay missions,” you do realize you can hit that tiny little arrow in the top right corner to refresh another quest, right?

Anytime I get the quickplay as a daily mission, I just hit the refresh button. Boom. Problem solved. Now, you don’t have to do quickplay anymore.

Remember: you are not being forced at all to play this game or to play quickplay. It is your choice whether you want to or not. If you do not enjoy it, then don’t do it. You can get up to 7 loot die on lord maps now so that quickplay bonus is going to start to become obsolete.

If you continue to force yourself to play quickplay and being miserable then that’s your own fault, not the fault of the developers. Again, you do not have to do quickplay. There will be tons of other opportunities to get max mission rewards and bog chests.

Fyi, I got an Emp vault on Righteous Stand WITHOUT quickplay bonus…

That’s pretty bad reasoning there… I’ve got Emperors chest with no books or grims at all, 22 dice on Twitch mode from bosses. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem…

Quick play gives extra progress towards loot which you lose out on if you don’t take it. Which can slow down progress for newer players. I myself, hardly do QP anymore, we do deeds. But that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be fixed.

As someone in this thread said earlier. What is up with Screaming Bell? I have not got that map in rotation for well over a month now. I have to actually select it and host to get the map. It never pops up in rotation. Even looking at the lobby browser, you can start to see some similarities. Why are all 7 games in my “close” area all Righteous Stand? When I switch to medium, all the new maps are BlightStormer? It’s almost like it chooses the maps for the entire game every refresh or something. It’s not uncommon to get the same maps 2-3 times in a row, and complete them each time, they still que again. It makes no sense… perhaps I’m just getting very unlucky with the rotations.

1 Like

Wow… entitled much?

Why do people complain so much about video games?

If you don’t like playing a certain video game or how the mechanics of the video game operates, maybe you should develop and publish your own video games.

Just because you paid for the game doesn’t give you the right to tell the developers how to do their job. They have degrees. They are experienced developers. They also are an indie company that has limited resources. Considering the fact that 90% of all indie games are 8-bit NES quality games, I think Fatshark has done a wonderful job making a decent quality game with excellent graphics.

Yes, there are bugs but AAA games also have bugs. Do you know the difference between these AAA companies and Fatshark? The AAA game companies NEVER listen to their customers and REFUSE to fix any game breaking bugs.

The quickplay feature is not a bug. It is purely RNG and even Robin has mentioned that if a particular map shows up more often than the others then that means your completion rate for that map is really low.

Maybe play those maps more often so you don’t get them all the time?

And this has been solved with a mod. It’s not even difficult, it’s randomly picking a map on a list which shrinks. You can look at the code through the steam workshop github link.

Well I’m saying it’s bad design, not a bug.

Well first, being tied to map completion means it isn’t pure RNG by definition. And second, QP will repeat the same map after winning the same map. We play these maps, we just skip the repeats.

You realize this is the feedback section of the forums right? Given the responses, plenty of people here have issues with how QP chooses maps and think it could be better in some way. Your solution is to avoid the problem by playing a different mode.

For me, that’s not a solution at all for the reasons I’ve listed. Your response to that is “I don’t care about bogenhafen chests.” Like ok, I guess you’re the arbiter of what people get to find important?

3 Likes

I don’t think you understand what this word means… Go back and read my post. I’m not asking for changes to make my life easier, I don’t even hardly QP, maybe 3-10 a week for the weekly, that’s it. I’m asking to have it looked into for others, because getting the same map 3 times in a row, and completing it every time is pretty boring.

And that doesn’t fall in line with what Robin is saying. If it indeed punishes you for not finishing maps, why does it keep giving you the same map over and over again that you just finished, with all tomes and grims?

I’m not telling them how to do their job, I’m suggesting that there is an issue that needs to be looked at. And if it is indeed a problem, fixed.

Also, someone has already published Fatsharks income and taxes. They have made millions, upon millions off these last two games. Lets not pretend they are a struggling indie start up company that just pushed out their first game on Steam Green light. This is of course not to mention all the other games they have made and co developed.

I’ve actually made this point several times before. I agree with you 100%. You seem to think I’m bashing or trying to “bring down” Fatshark. I’m just pointing out and issue that I think a lot of people would like looked into. You don’t have to get so triggered by everything.

1 Like

You sure sit here and complain about people complaining about videogames for someone who’s so above it all. Don’t you have some reasonable adult things to do instead of engaging petulant, entitled children on forums for a videogame you clearly have no issues with? I mean, you definitely talk as if everyone but you here is in the wrong, acting infantile, thoughtless, being little more than animals lead on by instincts, which you have conquered.

Yet it seems to matter so much to you that we’re here and we’re wrong, and you have to keep coming here to tell us that we’re wrong, and talk down to us, and make yourself out to be the arbiter of all that is reasonable, respectable and good for discussion. Purely philanthropic reasons, I’m sure?

2 Likes

Well, from my experience, I can easily tell which maps I almost never get :

Since starting to play in legend, I have done some 80ish maps I’d guess, and according to the missing golden medallions on the maps, I never succeded in 5 of them. Though I do sometimes fail a map, I’m quite confident I never seen at least 4 of those maps in legend, though I had nights with 3 out of 6 games on the exact same one.

My guess is that a failed map gets a higher chance of being pulled in QP, but succeeding don’t lower that chance. So as long as I don’t purposefully start a peculiar map to fail it, chances are I’m not going to play it on QP anytime soon …

Also, I don’t get the whole idea of this system explained by robin… I mean it’s basically saying “Oh ? you don’t like that map do you ? let’s throw it at you non stop until you like it !”

Edit : not supposed to be a reply to a specific post but can’t unset it now …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.