Difficulty for new players

As a new player, let me offer my observations and impressions.
I played Vermintide 1 a bit and Left 4 Dead 1/2 with general success.
Bosses seem to be way overtuned on the Lowest difficulty, to the point where 90% of runs are ended by a Bile Troll with fights going on for over 5 minutes (Bile Trolls in particular seem to be either overtuned or bugged to have a higher health total than intended)
I’ve had no problems with Hordes or Specials.
I believe that if I really wanted to I could just get failed mission experience until I eventually get talents.
I dunno, that’s just what I’ve been experiencing.

Wait till level 10 open all boxes and faceroll recruit. Get to lvl 20 and faceroll veteran.

But I don’t have any boxes if I’m not able to complete missions due to bosses that are refusing to drop below 80% health.

Well. Since i played V1 i never got this problems. But just save str potion and bombs on bosses. It’s actually not that hard to kill bosses even without items if you use bombs and pots.

No, the problem is that the lowest level of difficulty is not appropriate for brand new players.

There are different ways to teach players what they need to know. Hitting them in the face with a brick every time they make a mistake might teach them eventually but it’s going to be a long and painful road and it really doesn’t have to be that way.

I’m not sure why the high-end players are so determined that game should be this hard for new players. I’m not suggesting that the game should be easier across the board, just the lowest difficulty level.

The difficulty of Recruit is not really something that players who complain about Champion being too easy should really care about, they are not who it should be tuned for.

2 Likes

Went to tandom game with new players on recruit just to watch what they do. I should say game needs like a lot of tutorial tips. There are a lot of simple but not so easy to see stuff in the game that doesnt documented anywhere but is just basic knowledge for anyone who played v1.

I think really good idea would be 1 time company clear with 1 by 1 levels starting from insanely easy and getting a little bit harder when people reach half of the company. With a lot of educational tips and stuff like that. Pluss it would be hard for new players to do anything without a litle push so giving then 3-4 free loot boxes out of first couple of easy compin missions would be a good idea.

Also it would be a better ide to buff bots in first couple of missions. If someone playes alone in unpopular time so he will be able to play and learn the game more comfortably.

because every game that caters to people struggling on the lowest end, regardless of how many nerfs it goes through, ends up changing our game at the high end. champion was already getting a bit too easy in the beta due to character scaling, and now that the game has went live it too has been gutted. it never stops at just one difficulty or game aspect, and every single nerf to recruit or veteran has made the playerbase that much worse when those players try to step up into later difficulties because the lower ones do not teach them a thing.

2 Likes

I agree with op here on the game being very hard to start.
Thats why we need easy mode. No need to nerf current modes but to implement a very easy mode to play on. Recruit was hard for me too at first having had months of break from VT1

No, just no.
They already nerfed recruit hard.
They added a Prologue which explains the basic game mechanics to deal with advanced scenarios.

The only thing that will happen is Recruit will get another nerf, people who couldnt deal with Recruit move on to Veteran and cry again about their lack of basic game mechanic knowledge …

1 Like

They increased difficulty on release.

I’m seeing more specials, 2x bosses way more often, and less health and ammo than 2 days ago.

They also nerfed the heck out of WW, BH, and Hunts… Which, while 2 of those are level 7 careers, having one in a party with 3 complete noobs was trivializing bosses.

That did need fixing, but they over did it big time, and also made the difficulty harder on top of that.

It was just sooo much to change at once.

I’m gonna have to stick to recruit to help some new players get a W

That would work…

PL cap off like 50, or even 25, and just be something to let people get an early start

1 Like

I just lost a match on recruit because there was no healing whatsoever.

So I hit QP and got Against the Grain. Again :roll_eyes:

“Ok” i thought “at least I know the map very well” after 30 Closed Beta hours and 60 Pre-order beta/main game hours
We got three bosses and no healing from the grims onward. No heals at the barn, or at the place where you free the first prisoners. Nothing.
I’m a vet player and I play on recruit to level up charas (Currently leveling Sienna and Kerilian) and unlock the new quests. But AtG felt like a completely new quest for me. The friend I use to play with was watching me play (He had played the previous run) and commented on how it didn’t seem to be Recruit difficulty.

However I’ve been playing with no problems since the release of the full game, either with my lv 13/14 Sienna or my lv 4 (I think) Kerillian. The other three are lv 20 or close already, so my HP is high on the low level charas. It must have been a RNG issue.
In general, I don’t feel a change of difficulty in either Recruit or Veteran (Still have to try champion on full release)

I’ve made the suggestion that power level 15 to start is brutal for new players and a drag for experienced players, so to raise it would help beginners out and make the experience less taxing. The other option is to create another, easier difficulty and call it like “Tutorial” or something(not casual, because some people might find that insulting). You could restrict it to a few maps or something and they help teach the inexperienced players about things not demonstrated in the prologue.

Removing grims from recruit might be the only thing needed to make recruit more beginner friendly.

1 Like

This game isn’t meant for everyone and you just have to accept that.

1 Like

An easy/learning mode where you don’t gain xp/level and you don’t get any loot could also be an alternative. That would restrict the easy mode to those who just want to learn the game and people probably would not be so obsessed by grims on that level since you don’t get anything.

I have a feeling that mods will take care of creating a suitable ‘easy mode’ though and maybe it should be kept out of the main game.

There are no bosses after the barn, or at least i didnt have any in over 150h. Also there are lots of guaranteed and lots of very likely spawns littered with supplies. I only play Champ.

If you didnt find anything and got 4 mini bosses in grain on recruit then you had a glitch. Even on champ they added unnecessary guaranteed hp pickups throughout the level.

Its impossible to not beat recruit if youre not an idiot and dont have some disability that prevents you from processing information and actually learning something.

1 Like

I fail that level on recruit some times, almost only right after I switched character and build with weapons/gear I haven’t used in a while or at all and no one else has any idea about what they should be doing. It usually happens after the first field if there’s both a boss and lot’s of stuff going on so it’s a quick replay cycle…

If I play with bots on recruit I can almost always run right through most of the map with sound turned off completely if I have a known build with a good ranged anti special option. That’s only one grim at most, it’s useful to have a little more health buffer when you cant hear whats around you :slight_smile:

Vermintide’s community in a nutshell

I find bots actually quite OP in certain situations. Since I now have Bardin, Kruber and Saltzpyre at lv 20 with good gear, my bots slay specials before any of the players can even see them :open_mouth:

Personally I found the original Vermintide a lot easier. Recruit difficulty feels harder than it realistically should be. Get a Chaos Spawn pop up in the wrong place and it’s game over. There’s nothing in the game to teach you how to deal with them properly. It’s more of a trial by fire process.

I personally think it should be toned down a bit. Recruit is for learning how to play, but getting demolished near every game doesn’t really teach people anything but defeat, it just frustrates them.

Easy is supposed to be just that. If people want a higher challenge there are higher difficulty modes for that very reason.

1 Like