Dev Blog: Deep Dive into the Shrine

While we’re on the topic of things the game needs. Do we have an ETA on the mission board just… not being what it is? I’ve had several friends quit because they can’t pick the mission/mission modifiers they want and are instead forced to wait for the game to give them what it deigns. It feels really condescending.

There has to be some RNG so there is a reason to hunt for the items. If we could reroll every perk and blessing it means we only need a single good base roll and then we’re done. This leads into obtaining godrolls REALLY fast and therefor having no reason to play the game really soon because you got everything you wanted within a week or two.

You don’t need the god roll immediately, you need a decent roll which this system allows for. The god roll is something that you’ll find eventually, as it should be. There’s no need to rush our inventories into godrolls within a week because it means there’s nothing to do after that, and I’d rather keep looking for god rolls over time rather than complete my inventory in a week or two and then move on. The only way I can see the “no locks” crafting to work is if they keep introducing new weapons and perks + blessings constantly, like every month or so.

2 Likes

Main problem is that there is still little in player agency when it comes to achieving those end game goals. Let me pour hours and mats into perfecting an item if necessary. Don’t gate it behind RNG because it only results in frustration.

3 Likes

Hello Fat Shark!

Although I’m happy to see that you’ve given some real good thoughts to the crafting system, I genuinely don’t understand why you want to keep perks and blessings locked.

It adds nothing but frustration, and doesn’t make any sense lore-wise either.

It’s time that games create realistic crafting systems and get rid of the randomness. Seriously.
Do you know any craftsman who doesn’t know what they’re going to craft?
Like, yeah okay, I can make you a chair but I don’t know what size it’ll be?
Yeah, I can cook you a hamburger but it might end up salty or sweet, we never know…

3 Likes

This premise is false, and Vermintide proves it. People play for hundreds and thousands of hours after obtaining the best gear in the game (reds) because the core gameplay loop is fun.

No rng is needed, and anyone who thinks so is objectively wrong in light of these facts.

10 Likes

And now, unless they change something drastically, the number on darktide won’t likely go up. I will keep playing Vermintide 2 though, despite having everything.

3 Likes

Good changes overall. I’m happy to see this.

But lose the locking bits. You can escalate the costs for changing out the second perk/ blessing, but don’t lock them altogether.

2 Likes

Then why making a crafting system?
You do a counter strike. You launch the mission and you choose your weapon and go…

2 Likes

No you re not…

let us buy any weapon in the shop at a grey, so we can at least take our too hard to earn progression resources to gamble and try for perks and blessings. also please make the weekly and progression resources account wide so we arent stuck with one character at a time and can mix it up base on our poarty. give us a base out of the rng for weapons. i shouldnt need to check the shop this much and not get what i need. make the modifiers standard base points of our trust lvl so the only rng is which modifier is higher but all the same base scale. that way we can more easily try out weapons we want and not curse a shop full of weapons we don’t need. then buy a flamer we want and craft up from there. if we don’t get the blessing and perks we want then oh well we can just go buy another weapon in the gold shop and start over, not like we aren’t going to kill more heretics anyways. the problem with your whole system is people like the gameplay, you don’t have to force people into a hole that they feel like they will have to get lucky to climb out of to keep them playing. make it easier to get the weapons we want and let us go at the heretics for the emperor! we will spend tons of hours in the game cuz the gameplay is fun, otherwise your game would be dead by now.

1 Like

Changed my steam review to negative because they doubled down on RNG.

9 Likes

But WHY?
WHY would they lock in perks and blessings?
What is the purpose of locking-in one weapon effect, but allowing change of the other?

Can fatshark answer that? I don’t understand this god-damned brainless reliance on RNG and the deliberate limitation and constraining of player choice.

What would be the problem with us being allowed to modify the weapon to get the combination of blessings and perks we actually want?

Will me having 25%+25% dmg perks against flak and unarmored (say), instead of 20+25%, somehow magically break the game? Obviously obviously no.

It can’t be a game-balance issue, because those combinations are already strictly possible through RNG, and they’re not breaking the game in any way.

So I just can’t think of a reason why they would design it that way, other than to try to extend the grind. Keep you playing the game for longer if possible, in the vain hope you can some day get that “perfect” combination through RNG. But with their stultifyingly stupid stat distributions (afaicg they follow something like a gaussian, so the best combinations are also the most rare, with most weapons being in the 330-350 modifies range).

I’m really getting tired of this combination of RNG and illogical synthetic constraints crap.

14 Likes

Because they are stupid and incompetent.

Time to uninstall that hilarious fail of a game

1 Like

Only reason is player retention and having players to chase. But this is the wrong why. Locking perks I could tolerate. Not blessings.

I can only imagine that they are worried if people get the stat stick they want they’ll quit or get bored of the game.

Currently the real problem is getting the gear you actually want to use or try sucks and the RNG is what is making me more and more frustrated as time goes on.

Like it doesn’t feel like I’m getting a great piece of gear or that it’s filling me with a sense of pride and accomplishment when I find a god roll grey item it gives me anxiety that it’s going to be ruined 3 upgrades in and I’m going to need to scrap another thing I spend several hours working on with resources that aren’t hard but TEDIOUS to get.

People are staying because the gameplay is fun and new levels could be really fun to play with different well tuned gear.

They are not staying to do the god dam gear grind. This is not an mmo!

5 Likes

The dicision is most likely to achieve some agency over weapons without destroying " the chase " aspect of weapon aquisition.

Id prefer full control over weapon customization, but this is propably the best we are gonna get.

Tho imperfect these changes will achieve some result in regaining players.

Mileage and satisfaction will vary for sure, but im pretty pumped about the direction overall.

It’ll be less frustrating when full crafting is in, assuming the “inputs” of new weapons are also more player-controlled.

Personally I really enjoy the fact that every weapon genuinely feels unique in this. It’s extremely rare that anyone you see has even a single weapon identical to yours, even with guides driving some types of players to a common “meta” configuration.

But for example I noticed my Zealot actually only had one 366 Revolver and the Blessing is mediocre so I’d rather not improve it further, but I have no way to deliberately try to generate a new Revolver to start the progression grind to get it to max. So that’s the major source of frustration to me

If I could pick a weapon and run a mission to guarantee a weapon of that type would drop (and that its total attributes would be 300+/320+/335+/350+/365+ by difficulty) then that’d be much more satisfying than waiting on the RNG shop. It means even if the first perk rolls bad that’s no the end of the world. I also suspect maybe locking perk/blessing would be better if you could see (greyed out) what the other things were so you weren’t simply betrayed at the end when it’s most expensive (two of my Zealot’s orange curios so far were +XP for the final perk; I’m working on the third +XP now.)

Thank you.

1 Like

The lack of detail here is concerning. This doesn’t mean that higher rating weapons are going to get even more resource intensive, does it? You are just going to scale the cost down for lower ranked items so there is an incentive to craft at all while leveling… right?

5 Likes

There’s just so few crafting materials to obtain. It’s silly they create these sinks for things that aren’t plentiful, while dockets didn’t have a sink. But the “fun” new sink for dockets is going to exasperate crafting materials more. Lmao.
//
Here’s a amazing solution to the monument of issues the loop you’re about to create Fatshark. Up the crafting material acquisition amount. Through higher numbers in per pickups, or dismantling weapons for both materials AND lower amounts of dockets. (Seeing as there is a docket sink now).
AND. You add the option to BREAK the locks with a sum of materials (rarity reflects cost).
This comes with the player choice of going after their next best perk but the drawback that the costs get reset to reroll and relocks the perks/blessings. Depending on what they’re doing.

And the added improvement to allow once the costs become free to select the desired perk. You are wasting server checks and the player’s time with these serverside rerolls.

3 Likes