Darktide is Mostly negative on Steam with 39% recent reviews

It’s not really a positive/negative review on Steam.

It’s asking you if you would recommend someone else to play the game, that really has nothing to do with hours played, and you’re within your right to change it back once you feel like you could recommend the game again.

Either way, the game’s rating will reach overwhelmingly negative in about 2 weeks or so if the trend continues, as the 30 day window moves past New Years and stops taking into account reviews of people who were still holding out hope that Fatshark would remain true to their word.

3 Likes

Leaving a negative review because I dislike something is exactly how a negative review should work, I can’t see how it is unfair.

The game is good but repetitive, and not only am I not given the proper tools to push the boredom away, I am instead given bad ones and the prospect of having more bad ones.
This combined with the fact that I know they have the proper tools because they’ve shown them to us, and the fact they seem adamant the tools they gave us are the best ones for the job and that they fit the vision they had for how we should interact with the product is adding salt to the wound and what I see as a clear sign of incompetence.

8 Likes

I agree with the rest, but I would not go that far: “as solid grounds for the negative recommendation because I find their vision lacking”.

In general everyone can leave any review or recommendation they want. It is up to the reader to decide whehter it has any merits or not.
I personally tend to judge the games by measure of my enjoyment/fun I had vs. cost.
So a 40 buck Darktide gave me a good, solid fun for 100 hrs (I was lucky in terms of crashes and performance), then it showed its ugly, unfinished face in mechanics, no endgame etc. Still would review it positively, it was fun for ME, just on gameplay, atmosphere, sound itself. Would I recommend it to others - no, not in its current state.

1 Like

meh i doubt steam scores matter that much to this game its not likely to be the point of discovery , but it has now joined the hallowed halls of games like no mans sky, diablo 3, gta online, and lets not forget the macdaddy of bad launches , ff14!

now dont get me wrong i am not blind to any of the issues and if you look at these forums in the weeks after launch can probably find threads of me feedbacking on them but we are still beating this horse and it died a month back.

that said i also have to keep in mind i just went through 300 hours played , a landmark a lot of well reviewed games never got close to ive already put half the time into this that i did into v2, and that had way more maps and over 3X the class’s at launch the truth for me it is simply a fantastic game at its core.

A crack addict can go his whole life addicted to crack. I wouldn’t consider that a landmark.

Time played is not a good indication of enjoyment, specially in a game that time-gates you from loot, so a good portion of my hours were spent waiting for the shop to roll over while I played something else.

1 Like

TIme played may not be a good measure for you, as you wrote yourself you spent part of it in front of virtual kiosk :slight_smile:
It may be for others, who spent it mostly in missions and enjoying the gameplay.
There is no general rule regarding time spent, imho.
Additionally different people have different expectations and tolerances, some can forgoe everyhitng around the gameplay, some will never do.

3 Likes

We’re not talking about exceptions to the rule here.

This is a major mechanic IN THE GAME, there’s plenty of people who waited at least a few minutes for the damn shop to roll over, and then spent more minutes rolling the damn slot machine that is hadron trying to get a specific perk at tier 4.

Hell, in those instances, we don’t have the benefit of being able to play ANY game, as we have to manually roll for minutes at a time if we’re unlucky.

Quit making up excuses for Fatshark’s shitty mechanics.

Time spent is NOT indicative of enjoyment, period, case closed.

1 Like

No one is arguing about damned rng shop here. Do not think anyone playing this game likes it as main source of loot.
But if you spent more time there, than in missions, its on you.
Nothing is closed, everything is a matter of perception and preferences.
If someone enjoyed 80 hrs out of theirs 120 hrs in Darktide, then they enjoyed that 80 hrs.
It really is that simple…

1 Like

Did I stutter?

and if this was an addictive drug that could be relevant.

now i know what your reffering to and i have fallen into that trap before. but its simply not the case here.
time played is a very good indication of enjoyment for me in this game. im not grinding for loot im playing for fun. im playing for the core loop only.

i would point out that we know nothing of each other, but you found it easier to go ad hom and inflict me with addiction and broken logic rather than accept i simply have a point of view different to your own.

2 Likes

Gambling and slots are addictive, don’t think anyone can argue against that, and they are not classified as a drug.

This is wrong past a certain point.

If you have 100, or 200, or 300 plus hours of game time then you enjoyed the overall game enough to keep playing as almost all of that game time is just pure core gameplay. No one forced you to keep playing, no one tied you to your desk and glued your hand to your mouse and told you to keep playing missions or else.

You chose to keep playing for days and days and days. You sat down, and you decided to keep playing, because you enjoyed it.

Game time to that extent is absolutely indicative of overall enjoyment, even with pain points.

2 Likes

drugs are a chemical addiction, gambling is a behavioral addiction. Not everything that causes addiction is a drug

i honestly cant see how anyone can become addicted to this game lol, there’s nothing rewarding in the game

1 Like

Technically, any addiction is chemical :slight_smile: Like, say, extreme sports is basically an addiction to adrenaline while we view it as behavioral.

2 Likes

refers to how to addiction is introduced not how it occurs, gambling is a behavior while drugs are chemicals, but yes most behavior addictions are a result of say an addiction from adrenaline or dopamine

Well taking drugs is behaviour :person_shrugging:

1 Like

anyway my point was that the game sucks and whoever gets addicted to it has a serious mental issue cause, theres literally nothing to get addicted too lol

2 Likes

ok. not seeing the relevence but sure

Going from VT2’s crafting system to Darktide’s (while going through the Athanor in the meantime) and thinking it is better (cause why would anyone want to make a worse system ?) is incompetence at being a game designer. It means they failed at understanding what makes the system good, how it integrates into the game, how the playerbase interacts with the system, how the playerbase uses the system to interact with the game, and how it can be improved.
These forums have countless threads as to how to improve it and it still ended up worse, all while they were promoting “more player agency”.

2 Likes