Crashing Every Single Time I Load Into a Map (Game Unplayable!)

@FatsharkLev

Copy, thanks for the feedback/communication with the the developers.

I will report if it continues to persist in the next patch, when I can actually adjust the texture settings (lowering memory use)

I do have 2 follow up question(s) though.

1. Why would running the game at native (higher) resolutions (as opposed to rendering at a lower resolution and upscaling) be providing more stability in terms of both general crashes and memory crashes?

Wouldn’t running the game at the higher “native” resolution technically be more hardware intensive, compared to upscaling from a lower resolution?

1. Given that the game ran ALOT smoother and more reliably (for me) in the three betas I participated in, can I expect the game to be brought back to that state reasonably soon?

I know the team is working overtime to squash the absolute mountain of issues at the moment, but when will we see patches specifically focused on performance optimizations?

Cheers 07

@orvis25

Please do let us know how it goes with the texture setting after the update :slight_smile:

In answer to your questions -

1. The only reason would be a bug in the upscaling implementation, as FSR2 hasn’t been in our code base for as long as the native rendering. Though, the main reason to try it, is because it’s one of the changes we have made since the betas (to default to FSR upscaling, and updates to our FSR implementation) and we wanted to make sure it was not the culprit.

2. We have for a duration had additional debugging enabled in builds to find stability issues. This has meant a slight reduction in performance. With the last patch, some of that debugging information was disabled and we solved some issues with the default settings for some players with hardware that does not support raytracing that may have been affecting you. For those changes to take effect you must allow the launcher to reset your user settings and avoid manually modifying your user_settings.config file. Some community guides at current unfortunately provide faulty information on how to manually edit user settings to gain performance.

We are focusing on solving the performance issues that we know of. We’re also continually optimizing our systems for each patch - but this is likely in smaller increments and may not be noticeable.

It is however hard to know exactly why you are seeing performance degradation, and we can’t guarantee if our fixes/improvements in our upcoming update will have solved your issues specifically.

1 Like

@FatsharkLev
Yes, I re-tested with the fsr 2.0 implementation in the current build of the game. It seems to be causing the crashing to happen alot sooner. I used Fsr 1 for the first 2 betas, and 2.0 in the 3rd beta, but after that 3rd beta (the one that added the logging tools) I think it might have broken fsr2 alittle (atleast in my case)

I would say there is some type of bug with it’s implementation that is causing the game to use more memory than if I run it at a higher, native (not upscaled) resolution.

If I use no fsr2 (native 720p) the game loads into the hub using about 6.4Gb of my 8Gb of system ram. Then I can load into a mission and play for a bit, but eventually the games current memory leaks still eventually cause a crash.

If I use fsr2, performance upscaling (720p base resolution, so like 380p render resolution?) The game loads in to the hub using about 7.6Gb of my system ram, over 1Gb more. That’s probably why insta crash when trying to then load into a mission, since I am already near max.

That (fsr using more memory than native) should not be happening.

Can you pass that on?
Cheers,

Regarding FSR, Can you ask,

• Will the FSR2.0 implementation be updated to the more current 2.2 version? It fixes ghosting, improves frame time (compared to prior versions) and further improves the upscaled visuals. It is also has feature designes for high speed (quick movement) games, which Darktide defenetly qualifies as.

@orvis25
Thank you for detailing your findings with FSR. I’ve passed this on to the development team, and we’ll be investigating as it definitely sounds off that we see higher memory usage with FSR 2 on than off.

Regarding 2.2, at this time I can’t speak to any future plans. I’ve mentioned this internally though, and it’s a discussion point for sure.

After the new patch, the Texture Resolution setting may allow you to run the game better. Though, you are still treading a very thin line memory-wise. Unfortunately, as we are not actively supporting your setup with an integrated GPU and 8GB RAM you will likely continue to experience issues with running out of memory every now and then, for example during some levels that might be more memory heavy.

@FatsharkLev

I understand. Never expected to run the game at native 720p (high) or anywhere in 1080p, I know its way outside the capabilities, but i was hopping the game would run at 720p low with upscaling activated (like I to with many other games), given my laptop is only about 20% weaker than a Steamdeck in pure rasterization performance.

Anyway, I will report back when the texture setting options get added. Look forward to more control over visual quality.

I’d also support FSR 2.2 being added :slight_smile: It’d be a big improvement over 2.0 and a good marketing move too.

(shouldn’t be too hard also, In the dev blog AMD stated if 2.0 is already implemented, it should take less than 2 days of work to get it updated in a custom engine).

As always,
Cheers again o7

1 Like

@FatsharkLev

So I updated the game today to the 1.0.20 patch.

Unfortunately the game still seems to be completely unstable.
With FSR2 enabled, it instantly crashes upon loading into a game, and with FSR1, while it wont insta-crash, the “out of memory” issue persists at completely random intervals, even when ruining the game at very low resolutions and using the “performance” preset (so like 50% render of my set resolution roughly).

In addition, there is still no setting I can see that lets me manually set the texture resolution (detail) of the game. Its not in the launcher settings, nor in the in game settings.
With that said, I am unable to test if lowering textures will help alleviate the problem… since no setting exists.

Out of 10 attempted games today, I was only able to “play through” one. I will say, the one game I managed to not crash out of, the game did seem to run more “smoothly” (consistent framerates), but the primary issue of flat out not being able to play/load in due to the memory crashes is preventing me from playing regardless of the resolution (which is why i think its a memory issue, since rendering the game at 380p quality should not require that much memory at all).

Can you inquire as to how I decrease the texture resolution independently of the render resolution given it seems the game loads maximum detail textures nonmatter what resolution I set. Like I stated, the option does not appear like you said it would this patch.

GUID: 03af0243-b07b-4a53-bd7a-749c7f1e22f4
crashify://03af0243-b07b-4a53-bd7a-749c7f1e22f4
console-2022-12-16-13.40.54-03af0243-b07b-4a53-bd7a-749c7f1e22f4.log (108.8 KB)
darktide_launcher - Copy.log (501.8 KB)

@orvis25,

That’s strange - do you not have the ‘Texture Quality’ setting under ‘Advanced Graphics’?

I’ll speak with the developers again and see what they say. I’ll update you when I hear back from them.

I’ve checked and the setting should absolutely be present - though the setting is only available in-game, and not from the launcher settings. Could this be why?

The developers have also said that setting the graphics quality will also affect texture quality so if you have graphics preset to low the texture quality will also be set to low when the game starts.

@FatsharkLev

Cheers for the reply.

I was actually trying to investigate myself why this was the case.
I deleted the settings file in the fatshark Appdata folder and then re-verified the game files VIA steam to re-generate all necessary files in them.

The texture setting now appears (before it was saying N/A and had no options).

I re-set literally everything to as low as it can go and gave it a multiple game test.

Retested the game with FSR1 set to performance (50% render) and the base resolution set to 1024x768. This means I am rendering the game at basically 380p, yet I am still getting “out of memory” errors about 80-90% of the missions i try to load into.

FSR2 crashes almost instantly on mission loading screen, so that is still un-testable practically. Not sure why FSR2 is causing such issues.

MSI afterburner is reporting my total system ram usage at 6.6GB (out of 8) when the crashes occur, so I am still unsure of what is going on with this persistent issue (referring to when using FSR1).

@orvis25

Thank you for the feedback - I’ve passed this on to the developers once again. We’ll need to investigate the possibility of memory consumption increasing.

As you are running below minimum specs memory-wise, and there isn’t an immediate solution or fix we can provide, I’m happy to request a refund for you.

I appreciate that this isn’t ideal, but please let me know if this is something you’d like to do.

@FatsharkLev
Thanks for passing that along. Let me know if the team wants me to test anything specific. It defenetly seems to be some memory consumption issues with the game. It should not be having these issues when rendering the game at as low of a resolution as 380p.

I appreciate the refund offer, but I don’t want to loose all the items I already unlocked during beta testing, including my beta reward items and my twitch drop items. So I will decline.

I will continue to update and report crash logs as patches continue. Hopefully eventually the game will be patched back to the level of stability I had in the beta versions where I rarely ever crashed.

If you did want to give me some type of compensation for the multiple weeks of trouble, all my time writing, documenting and reporting, etc, I won’t fight a free upgrade to the imperial pack > . -.

Anyway, cheers as always, I’ll report back on the next bug/performance patch that gets released (or if I find anything interesting to report)

1 Like

I do not think this is related exclusive to integrated. I’m having the exact same issue with a 4090 RTX from Nvidia ( MSI version).

I can load the lobby map with all the details, 60 fps no problem.

I can join any game but at some very specific random maps, I crash 2 seconds in.

So yes, I can have 5-6 even 10 successful maps in a row… from start to end.
But some very specific conditions and maps… and boom… insta crash and its repeatable over and over and over.

Specs:

Intel 12700K
32GB DDR5 6000
MSI gaming Trio 4090 RTX
4x NVME 1x HDD 1x SSD
2x 4k monitors (Philips 60Hz)

Adding my stream videos so you see when game crashes. I had a ton of them this session:

I’m having basically the exact same issue as above. This time on GamePass version, and in order to run any mission I have to join, wait for the crash 2 seconds after I join the map, then restart the game and reconnect to the session.

About 60% of the time this results in being able to play that map.

Had more crashes today

Report: GUID: 0fa8334b-fc86-4b9a-ad83-3d3a57d5279c
Log File:
Info Type:

and another one… GUID: 04e97f61-604a-4745-82df-38e6f10f583c
Log File:
Info Type:

My Dumps
crash_dump-2022-11-18-04.22.32-16edcdb0-f5ca-4eea-a6c5-7aec6bb4fe97.dmp (925.9 KB)
crash_dump-2022-12-10-08.13.15-4a5a1733-23cc-417e-b050-37eca0d4dab4.dmp (1.0 MB)
crash_dump-2022-12-10-08.18.23-1f18c42e-f5ac-46b0-8f00-a12598d0f0f9.dmp (898.2 KB)
crash_dump-2022-12-10-08.20.23-b913ad5b-a652-4f25-97a8-55a0a1c06750.dmp (866.1 KB)
crash_dump-2022-12-16-07.44.56-3c93bead-5253-4198-9335-6d41b2ab6bf6.dmp (851.9 KB)

crash_dump-2022-12-16-08.27.29-68b7409d-c0a1-4021-8634-db918374abf0.dmp (830.7 KB)
crash_dump-2022-12-17-07.46.53-ddb8ef10-f554-4cb3-9f76-b771ec8057e1.dmp (844.7 KB)
crash_dump-2022-12-17-08.37.48-463f148d-814c-4580-80e5-8e2055b3510b.dmp (1.1 MB)
crash_dump-2022-12-17-09.00.32-d80f04a4-0caa-4958-a758-cd97c4b9d0fd.dmp (1.1 MB)
crash_dump-2022-12-18-07.22.02-0fa8334b-fc86-4b9a-ad83-3d3a57d5279c.dmp (933.9 KB)

Thanks @tamalero. The data from these crashes show that you’re running into a GPU Hang, and not specifically an issue with your GPU being Out of Memory. We’re working to resolve generic GPU crashes as a top priority still and continuous improvements should be seen with each update!

Your crash error -
HRESULT: 2289696773 = DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: GetDeviceRemovedReason() = DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

orvis25’s error -
HRESULT: 2147942414 = E_OUTOFMEMORY

1 Like

I somehow managed to play for more than an hour with no crashes.

Changes I did:

Limited framerate and vsync on at 60Hz.
Reduced workers to 8.

Not sure if my issue is similar to having more than 60 Fps = crash.

1 Like

Sorry to revive a dormant thread, but @FatsharkLev, I want to say that the engine fix in the last patch that got rid of the memory leaks when going (loading) from morningstar to a mission DRASTICALLY reduced my crashing.

I knew it was not my system given how the game was acting, and I was right when I said there was a memory leaks.

I’m really sad it took nearly 4 months of reporting about the issue over two dozen times (including other threads) and being told it’s my hardware when I knew it wasn’t… but glad it got sorted finally.

I’m just really upset it was in an unplayable state for so long and was given no “compensation” (like in game premium currency) of any type for my frustration, even though I have been a supporter since closed beta reporting issues, and even after asking politely via email to support, citing this thread for proof of my games unplayable state due to engine bugs basically since the launch update (the one that broke it for many people).

Hopefully more game engine improvements get pit in soon to assist with other issues like stutter spikes, overall bad performance on high end hardware, general optimizations to both client, server, and net code, etc.

Darktide needs it badly, more than cosmetics…

1 Like