First off, this thread is not about the level 5 talents for THP gains but for the level 30 active skills talents.
The question is as simple as controverse: Should (all) THP talents stay in the game as they currently are?
I didn’t mind so far but I read recently a comment in the forum (in the wake of the change for Ready for Action) that to many THP talents can make the game once again easier as intended (like so many other talents or traits which never got properly adjusted). This is especially noteworthy if you have two (or more) careers with you which provide team THP. To give a short overview of possible arguments:
- Keep them (all):
- Talents are simple but effective
- Talents are time-gated
- Player has to sacrifice other boni in order to get the THP
- Players are used to swim in THP so that they can parry attacks with their face instead of the sword in their hand
- Remove them (all)
- Talents while being effective are uninspired and could be replaced with more interesting mechanis
- Talents allow for overly sloppy gameplay especially if multiple THP talents are at work
There are probably more arguments on both sides why to keep or remove some or all of these talents. I just want to shine light on one more argument.
Active skills are trump cards, they can turn the tide of the battle, help to overcome helpless situations and save your life in crucial moments. This is their intend and their design, to give you power for a very short amount of time.
However, THP talents (and to a lesser extent cool down reduction talents) differ fundamentally from this approach. Why is this so? Because their effect stays even after your active skill has been used. As example: 25 % Damage Reduction for 10 seconds is exactly that, less damage when getting hit in these 10 seconds. If you get hit after 11 seconds? Tough luck. Same can be said about damage talents. They give you a boost for some seconds. Every enemy appearing afterwards has nothing to fear though (other than a murderous pack of “heroes”). Same can be said about boost talents. A few seconds and your crit bonus has vanished. Not so THP talents. Even after 20, 30, 40 seconds (if occasionally hitting an enemy) the effect of THP talents still lingers. In some cases their effects lingers until the active skill (or a similar active skill) is used anew. That makes stacking THP by active skill talents extremely easy and stronger than comparable talents.
If this is a good or a bad thing, everyone has to decide for himself. So how many THP talents are currently in the game and how do they differ from each other (I will probably forget one or two):
Tier 1 - Team THP talents:
- Mercenary - Morale Boost: Probably the strongest variation of team THP talents. Has a far reach, circular spreading from Mercenary. Has a low cooldown of 90 seconds which can further be reduced and is default of Mercenary’s active skill, so no matter what he chooses, he will always have the effect. Removing the THP talent from Mercenary would need a major rework of the whole Mercenary talent 30 row.
- Unchained - Bomb Balm: Similar to Mercenary, has an okay reach, circular spreading from the player. Has however a longer cooldown of 120 seconds and is a specific choice instead of being default to the skill. Can however be abused by usage of Burning Dregs to deliver team THP in a minute tact. Talent is okay for Unchained and can be explained within her identity. However, removing it would work if replaced by a talent of similar thought which is more interesting. Suggestion for this has been made.
- Ranger Veteran - Smoke Health Buff: The most limited of the team THP talents. Does regenerate THP in a slower manner and needs the player to stand inside the smoke bomb for the time. Has an equally long cooldown to Bomb Balm, however without talent-provided means to shorten it so less abusable. Does come with additional benefit of increased attack speed though. From the three team THP talents the least “problematic”.
Tier 2 - Solo THP talents:
- Pyromancer - Bonded Flame: As far as I remember right now the single career which is left with a solo THP talent. Comes with a short cooldown of one minute but only counts for Pyromancer itself. Is still rather uninspired but this is for the whole of the Pyromancer level 30 talents. Due to low health very effective and sometimes “needed”. However, Pyromancer could really benefit from more interesting active skill talents which would favour a removal.
Tier 3 - THP gaining talents as side-effect:
Depending on how pedantic one will be, this group can be even larger (for example by including the increased attack speed of Slayer and Zealot). However, for the moment I just want to single out two careers for this:
- Grail Knight Blessed Blade and Shade Infiltrate: Both talents themselves do not grant THP. However, both careers provide THP on kill and have a high, single target damage active skill which counts as melee attack. It is basically impossible to not gain THP while using the active skill making these active skill stronger than similar counterparts for ranged careers (mainly Locked and Loaded on Bounty Hunter, and no BH gaining THP for that is not an adequate solution). This comes with very low cooldowns of 40-60 seconds and the ability to kill at least two elites per active skill. So basically, with both classes swimming in THP is quite easy (Zealot and Slayer do too but for slightly other reasons).
So, this is more or less a listing of the different tiers and talents of THP talents. As you see, this is quite a lot already. I don’t expect major changes to these talents, especially in the current BBB. However, it may be worth a discussion if this much THP should be provided to the player or not.
Like I said, I didnt notice much before and only noticed after reading a comment. However, with the possible abuse of Burning Dregs and the newly gained Ranger Veteran talent there is a significant increase in available team THP talents. For the sake of discussion I neither advocate for the removal of these talents nor for keeping them as they are.
Did I forget something?