Change throwing-axe like javelin of SotT

I feel that’s a bit hyperbolic. If you use the throwing axes, you can take the attack speed option in that same talent row and another single-handed typed weapon option like Dual Hammers or Dual Axes. Calling the throwing axes “pure trash” just shows that you’re only using them for ranged attacks when they actually do a really good job at single target damage if you unload using their Left-Click, or are decent at horde clearing when you aim first and then throw. They do the same damage with either attack, but get more cleave when you aim.

1 Like

No that literally doesn’t work and never has. You get 0 bonuses and a dead talent with that combo.

9 Likes

If it would work as 1hd weapon i would actually use it on slayer.

3 Likes

I think they did in the WoM beta and then it was removed as if it were even remotely competitive with other slayer loadouts.

2 Likes

Guess so, I must have been misinformed. Testing it out again, it does seem to be a dead talent. A shame, really, as the extra crit chance only seems to be worth it with this combo alone and no other.

1 Like

Yeah it is a shame. Honestly Slayer meta still feels way too defined by that one talent row. It is a blight on his build diversity possibilities.

@CommissarTyr Exactly, if the javelin exists, the throwing axe cannot continue like this. It is an absolute meme. Lower damage, lower flight speed, lower reload speed, lower flight parable, lower mobility, and no possibility of using melee.

Absolutely nobody:

Fatshark: We are going to make another OP weapon for the elf.

4 Likes

I still don’t think javelins are even that out of line. Again, just their cleave is silly, though honestly it’s rare that many enemies are even lined up for you so I’m not sure it’s that big an issue.

And maybe the crit modifier is a bit high.

1 Like

You do realize they have the same damage profile, but javelin can melee, has higher cleave, has faster projectile speed, and is more accurate, right?

2 Likes

Yes, the Javelin is also usable on classes that would want to use it and doesn’t suck.

Throwing axes were balanced around a different style where they were balanced into being awful, and the Javelin is a weapon I’d actually consider using.

Throwing Axes need a buff. If Javelins were nerfed to throwing axe levels I’d basically never use them.

Basically there are 3 main problems: 1, it disables Slayer’s best row to use throwing axes as slayer. 2, it is slow and cumbersome to the point where even trying to throw it (both non-charge and charge) is so slow you might get hit during the windup. 3, it reloads too slowly for individual axes.

In contrast, the javelin throws faster in heavy attacks, the melee attack is great for building space against small units (and is just decent in general) and while it’s roughly the same time to reload all 3 javelins as it does throwing axes, if you’re throwing out 1 then reloading, the javelins is just the better choice.

It’s basically a better weapon because it has none of the serious flaws throwing axes have to the same degree, and even goes so far as to be a template for what the devs should actually do with throwing axes.

2 Likes

Yea I always actually wanted to run TAs on Ironbreaker since he has Smiter to patch up his melee and his safety would benefit their clunk. Too bad they’re only for Slayer and RV, and provide nothing to either. A distance attack would matter a lot more to grail knight since the effective range of these things isn’t much farther than you can jump, and even using them inside that range is a trick with their drop and sluggish flight. And it wrecks your best row for melee so you miss out on either a decent power increase or a free paced strikes on top of taking your second melee away too. I used to like them for allowing you to quickly drop a group of stormvermin as RV but the MWP exists now, which does that + bosses + specials and can perform across the map ok even with the falloff and delay because it’s hit scan. I seriously hope Fat Shark introduced the Javelin with the intention of bringing the TAs up to at least the same functionality. Obviously the elf weapon has to be better overall but how could they not expect everyone to wonder why the TAs stayed the same when they introduced the Javelin?

2 Likes

Well, I’d have to disagree with you on this one:
Axes have decent fast throw: take the headshot trait, do nothing but hs = you’re a short red-haired god of death.

But seriously, javelins are just better overall, whereas throwing axes seem more like a meme weapon.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a late reply, but here’s a screenshot of me holding the rune axe while still having the buff on my bar for getting the attack speed increase from that “dead talent”

Bruh. That’s because they eventually fixed it so that it does work. A whole damn year+ ago when I said that it 100% did not work.

And yes, throwing axes are definitely a good bit better now they actually work with that talent.

3 Likes

Except a year ago it worked fine. Even still, it’s good that it does, and I’m hoping that at some point they give it a special attack that does have some melee functionality to it, since they’ve done something similar with staves in Darktide.

No it absolutely did not. I very vividly remember when this was stealth fixed without being in the patch notes and was discussed quite a bit both here and on Discord.

I would rather stop arguing about this, you can continue being weirdly confident in being wrong about this if you like.

Anyway yes it’s a respectable option now if you go all in on attack speed. I’ve had some fun runs with it. You can also combo it with Dawi Drop, for some amusing burst damage on CWs and bosses. Slayer could still generally use some tweaks overall but happy enough with where throwing axes are at.

2 Likes

Yeah this change was made somewhere around WP. So not even a year old yet and its shaken up the Slayer meta very little since I never see them (I rarely see Slayers not running double heavy weapons anymore).

1 Like

I don’t think you understand the power of quick leftclicks.

Nope. It was fixed only this year, Mar. 2022 (Patch 4.6.3 unlisted change).

2 Likes

The Longbow has 43 damage and 31.5 armor-penetrating damage on the charged shot. The ammunition limitations make it less desirable on non-Waystalker careers.

The Javelins have 57.25 damage and 36.25 armor-penetrating damage. The light melee strikes have amazing damage vs bosses with 18 damage on each of 5 strikes delivered within 2.25 seconds. None of the elf’s other melee weapons have quite the same boss damage output for spamming strikes. The Javelins seem to be the meta for the elf, as I see them in use more often than any other ranged weapon by a large margin. In fact, it seems even melee careers like Shade and Handmaiden will use them as a crutch to avoid dealing with melee enemies; might as well play Waystalker, but they’ll pick Shade or Handmaiden and almost exclusively use the javelins on Cataclysm, and sad to say, it kinda works well enough.

With Handmaiden in Legend, you can 1-shot black rats in the body with just 20% extra power; much more difficult to get there with the Longbow and you have limited ammo. Likewise, throwing axes can also 1-shot black rats on Legend, but even easier I think, since they have higher damage than javelins.

Besides penetration, the axes are so slow in the air compared to javelins, it’s extremely challenging to hit targets moving horizontally to you with axes. The javelins are easy enough to learn to hit moving targets, but the axes take much more time to learn, and no matter how good your aim, if an enemy makes a wonky turn midstride, you miss very easily with the axes compared to javs.

I think the javelins are OP in melee, and at ranged penetration. And I think the throwing axes need some extra velocity and perhaps a bit of penetration so they can pick off specials that are behind a few clan rats. The Javelin can pick off a Stormvermin or Packmaster behind layers of enemies.

2 Likes