Change Kerillian's Longbow charged to have a delayed zoom like Huntsmans Bow

I personally prefer manual zoom.

There was a bug when this was actually swapped around once, and it felt TERRIBLE. No thank you.

No.

I use elf longbow and no problem with the current zooming.

791b2e9a7040c6930a4ab71baa7296db

I thought delayed zoom was one of the things people requested, so they could free aim and have full movement to shoot before the cement shoes kicked in.

Didn’t manbow also zoom out everytime you needed to reload, due to the zoom only being on charge 3?

It’s changed so many times at this point that I don’t remember. All I know for sure atm is it’s even slower to charge and aim then the handgun now and that’s bad.

If I were to design based on the IRL experience of shooting an English Longbow (yes I actually have one) I would make it work like this:

• Initial draw takes about 0.5 s to full charge, no zoom.
  • After reaching full charge, zoom in quickly.
  • You have about 1s of full zoom before you have to let down the bow or your arm falls off. (historical longbows are legit 150lbs+)
  • About 1s delay after shooting to knock a new arrow.

I think this would make a good design in the game because you could make snap shots in that 0.5s window, get into full zoom quickly, and are forced to get moving after making the shot. Bows are simply not held at full draw, that only happens in the movies. That would help distinguish it from handgun as well.

Explanation and Details (optional TLDR)

When I shoot a heavy bow, I have to use a draw technique that levers the bow into position along with pulling it back - this engages the entire back and brings many more muscle groups into play, which is 100% required for shooting a heavy bow. Search youtube for “Joe Gibbs archery” to see what I mean. I like to start wit the bow raised so gravity works with me, while Joe starts with it lowered and levers it up, it doesn’t really matter though.

The key moment is just as the lever pulls the bow into it’s final draw, if you are doing it right, the path of the lever will cross your aim point. If you are VERY good, (I’m not) you will have a very brief instant of perfect aim right at this time. It’s completely realistic to make a snap shot here, this is what speed shooters do. However, if you are less good or you wait, your arm will wobble from the strain of the bow and you have to correct your aim. In game this would be represented by the zoom in. Holding your aim for more then a second or two is comically impossible, games that force aim wobble if you wait too long (like Skyrim or Thief) are simulating this adequately, I think V2 should do the same.

I’m ok with Keri’s longbow being unrealistic because Elfs are magic. Kruber though should be more grounded.

Why not join the Fatshark Discord https://discord.gg/K6gyMpu