Vigorously playing the beta right now. One thing that continuously hinders the balance of the game is the lack of weapon restrictions among various careers. If all careers can use all or almost all of a character’s weapons, the lines between career strengths/weaknesses are diminished and the best weapons of the crop will always be selected. This limits impact of balance changes, and makes some weapons prone to being overly nerfed. This cannot be overstated. If more weapons are specialized to classes and vice versa, this has a dual effect on balance potential:
(I realize that there is also a balance between lore and gameplay, and I respect that)
- Weapon restrictions can reign in over-effectiveness of career/weapon combos (e.g. restrict hagbane from shade career)
- Weapon restrictions can allow more weapons to be heavily buffed for specialized use with a career without upsetting overall weapon balance (e.g. repeater pistol heavily buffed, but is restricted to bounty hunter)
Here are additional ideas for thought (non-exhaustive):
- Ironbreaker restricted from using 1H weapons to curb mobility options (thematic, balance), Ironbreaker restricted to gunpowder and flame ranged weapons (thematic)
- Elf 2H weapons restricted to handmaiden (thematic, balance), handmaiden restricted from 1H weapons (thematic)
- Witch Hunter restricted from 2H sword (thematic, balance), zealot restricted from rapier (thematic, player resistance buff to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)
- More career talents like Drake Gun Damage to reward builds with specialized weapons
- etc., etc.
It seems like something has to give at some point, or we will forever see things like all 4 Krubers running with executioner sword and nothing else (again, it is not “wrong” but does blur lines in builds/specialization).