Can we please rework the assassin rat?

Is it a good thing? How much of this does the AI do in story mode?

What I’m saying is that to me they don’t feel nearly as broken as some people make them out to be. For sure the experience of the first game contributes to that. There’s still the odd issue here and there of a butt-pounce or taunt-bombing but that’s about it. They’re already extremely noisy and if you’ve played the game for a while you can anticipate the pounce and plenty of times just dodge it on instinct.

Wow O.o Just wow. This is a leap of logic disguising itself behind semantics. That sentence does nowhere equal v(in) = v (out). “Quickly” is used in a broader term like “you can’t react when they attack you” (because they caught you unaware) and “leave in a flash”.

All you need to know from a Lore point is in the second sentence: … vanish … in a flash of smoke … There are enough things in the game you can criticize from a “lore to gameplay-translation” in the game. But Gutter Runners don’t belong to them. If you want to criticize them from a gameplay perspective, okay. But don’t hide behind the Lore for it.

But yea, this discussion is not the major point of the OP. It has been established that Gutter Runner is completely in line with Lore. You can still argue for gameplay and balance reasons.

My main issue with them would be that they can jump through other enemies as they are air (Leeches do this as well -_-, only Beastmen are designed good enough to actually take care of these physics).

I played the game for a lot of hours and 95% of the time as a client. When playing higher difficulties or you have too much stuff going on the only thing you hear is the spawn. Then assassin pounces you before the spawn sound finished behind 50 enemies giving you 0 chances to dodge. Or you have your back on a wall the assassin jump you don’t have time to push so you can gain dodge room so you push the assassin it’s self, your push connect but surprise the pounce connects as well and sadly you are gone from the multiple hits while in recover animations. There are so many wonky mechanics evolving around the assassin that the chance of getting 1 per match is pretty much guaranteed for me.

2 Likes

I guess it shows how much the experience can vary from player to player. I get almost 0 grief from assassins in this game and honestly I think they are in a pretty deplorable state at the moment, very much near the bottom when it comes to the posed threat. If anything, and assuming unintended behavior was fixed, I’d want them to be faster, more silent and more deadly. I do get trolled plenty by hookrats and leeches who are either completely silent when they shouldn’t be or do galaxy brain moves.

1 Like

It’s not a leap of logic. The phrase “just as quickly” means “equal to” and a pounce attack is not equal to a teleport. You’re trying to use the lore to justify how the gutter interacts in game, and there’s nothing to suggest it would attack like a hunter from L4D2 or that has the ability to teleport, it’s only said that they move so quickly people wonder if magic is involved.

The wiki actually explains how they operate in combat situations and there’s nothing to suggest: “Yes it attacks just like a hunter from L4D2 and has the ability to teleport”
That’s why I was disappointed that the imagining of a gutter runner in action is actually just a rehashed hunter.

“When these warriors are sent into an army, Gutter Runners are often used to sabotage other enemy armies long before the actual fighting begins. Night raids, arson attacks, and contaminated water supplies are all favourite covert tactics of these stealth troops. On the battlefield, Gutter Runners are tasked with the elimination of warmachines and enemy artillery, ambushing exposed positions or picking off vulnerable enemy units. The Gutter Runners use a variety of weapons and poisons to accomplish their missions, but it is their ability with the blade that makes them so formidable.”

Anyway as you already said, the lore about them is off subject.

1 Like

Um… but this is WARHAMMER???

1 Like

all i read here is, “i played L4D2 and its different, make it the same because I here like it more”.

the only problem with assasins is, if something cancels their recover animation after a failed jump,
thats a bug.
all other things about assasins are completly fine as they are.

1 Like

Well apart from ultrasonic jumping you mean. And the absence of any kind of cooldown for his leap when he spawns, so he can instapounce you when he spawns with an LOS to a hero. Oh and that he has no material body, so he can just jump right through a horde and a couple of CWs to boot that entirely block him both from view and from penetrating bullets. Oh and the fact that they can leap arse-first. Oh and ricocheting off walls and then latching onto heroes that were around the corner from them when they lept. Yeah, you’re right.

9 Likes

No pls don’t nerf the Huso! Nothing gets my adrenaline pumping more.
I know losing can be frustrating but almost everything mentioned in this thread can be gitguted and I love the wonkiness.
I rather laugh and die than snooze and win…

1 Like

Read what Orson said, and then explain to the class about “Gitgudit” and the “wonkiness”.
I’d rather have enemies function properly and not die due to some BS.

6 Likes

-rework
+fix*

I remember posting about how to rework assassin rats but I think fixing them is more of a priority.
Teleporting up second climbed ledges, teleporting away on the frame they get back on their feet after a push, leaping in another direction than the one they’re facing and the hitbox detection for whether they hit players are more important to fix in my opinion. Their apparent inability to find a proper path and stick to it and spasming around instead could be looked into as well.
Once the assassins work as intended, we can talk about how the first hit being the bulk of the damage can be unfair on high ping and how damage should be moved around a bit.

2 Likes

Assassins yeeting themselves off cliffs or into water is the only thing that keeps me going…

4 Likes

Especially when you dodged them to do this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can deal with them just fine, but I would appreciate it if FS fixed them from facing away from me and dashing at me ass first. Kinda ruins immersion.

Found out yesterday that apparently Assassins can pounce you after ricocheting off walls, even if they’re not facing you when doing so. I was running into the nest solo with bots as I always do when an assassin tried to snatch kruber-bot at the bridge after forge room. It barely missed him, flying straight into an adjacent wall. The rat bastard bounced off like a flipper ball, and landed on me butt first. Had no temp hp at the time so straight to wounded I go.

3 Likes

They could probably fix things like that by giving it the same nerf that the Slayer ult got. Give its pounce a set range and force it to the ground if it exceeds that range.

It would still need some more work but it’s a start.
Seems to be the majority agree that the rat needs some fixes.

1 Like