Bosses spawn and damage through block

I have appreciated your help, but some things seem a bit far from reality… sure, “all” is possible, also to do a solo run using blacksmith weapons… but we should see what can be considered “legit difficulty” and what is just an unfair spike. Are we talking also about opinion? Uhm, yes we do, of course.

About your videos, we have seen an enough large arena, no obstacles on the ground (with just one exception, in fact in that case he has taken damage), no horde.
An example: Halescourge. We had cleared all and, to take the first grim, a boss just was spawned there. Or more in general: to be closed, in a corridor, between horde and boss. Easy boss like Stormfiend and a skaven horde and a teammate has flamethrower? Maybe still fair, maybe not. Spawn chaos and chaos horde? You know what I think.

Anyway, if you still think that it is a fair difficulty… I have no problem, these are just our opinions :slight_smile:

Wow, I made that first video a long time ago before I even really knew how to Ogre dance… Glad it’s still helping folks though!

I should really make some more tutorial videos like that, it was fun :slight_smile:

In general though, yes we have the tools to deal with almost any situation but some are certainly more challenging than others. Certainly certain classes do better on their own if you feel you can’t rely on your team, but if you have at least two people of almost any class you can usually make do as long as communication is on point.

I’m hoping that some mods come out that allow us the ability to easily practice dealing with certain situations like soloing a horde & boss in a “tight space” or any other high stress type of spawn. It’s sometimes hard to practice for clutch moments if your team never gets themselves into trouble or the map doesn’t spawn the right combinations in the right places. It all comes with focused practice over time though.

1 Like

Many people are afraid of backtracking and I don’t know why. Most people try to fight bosses right there where they spawned (same for hordes btw).
In 80% of all cases it could be by far easier if you just backtrack the level for 100m. There might be an open space for the boss or a narrow one for hordes.
But no… “We have to fight them here where they spawned!!11”
Sometimes you only have to “retreat” for 5 to 10 metres but still…“Nope! Here it is! Here it will die!”
sigh
One or two hours ago we went for the bell and right before we reached the market a Stormfiend + Stormvermin patrol spawned in front of us. We just stood in that tunnel and then an horde came from behind. Cliché trap.
We panicked after 2 players died and ran around on the market like headless chickens, trying to kite the Stormfiend while killing single SVs.
Then we had the bright idea to rush forwards to the open place which follows the market and then it became ridiculous easy. I tanked as WHC the enemies with blocks and dodges while Sienna could keep firing.

Just one example how going for another battleground changes the outcome of a bossfight significantly.

3 Likes

exactly, people don’t understand the importance of not pushing forward and triggering bosses/ambient mobs when the party is about to get engaged… and then blame it on the AI director for ‘throwing things at them all at once’ lol.

this, coupled with the inability to listen and react to specials behind the party, means u gonna have a bad time.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree, but it isn’t always possible.

I wonder…has someone made a list/guide of all the potential boss trigger locations? I have about 150h in game…about 100 of that on champion. I know some of them but certainly not all of them. Was never really a big issue on champ but now that I am starting to do some legend it seems like this is must know knowledge to get through the map smoothly.

But in those places, experience comes into play. Someone has to say: “Don’t drop until the next horde, since we’re due for one. Don’t wanna trigger the boss at the same time.”

@hanzy The only really critical ones that come to mind are the final dwarven room in Into the Nest (where the 3rd tome is) and the drop after the 2nd tome in Convocation of Decay. Everywhere else offers sufficient backtrack potential or a large open area with good kiteability.

The stairs after the 2nd grim in Convocation of Decay should be approached with caution as well. While someone’s getting the grim, one person can move to the bottom to see if a boss spawns then head back to the group. If you get a boss there, you should run it back to the top of the stairs or to the swamp room (keeping in mind the water slows you down).

If you get a boss in the arena at the start of Righteous Stand, be sure to check inside the left gate. Sometimes they get stuck in there and you can/should kill it before opening the gate.

2 Likes

“don’t drop until the next horde” I know this strategy, sometimes works, but it is “cheap” strategy… I should wait an horde before to advance: an “unnatural behavior”. 1h to complete a match.

And, anyway, the are some points where the tight place is too much long and so you can’t apply this strategy.

That’s only a very few places like this and you only stop for like <20s if you’re already going at a normal pace.

3 Likes

This time I don’t agree with you.

1 Like

Yeah, there are those sucky spots where a boss can spawn when you are in a narrow area with nowhere to retreat to. I hate them, myself, but . . .

They are fair. Extremely high challenge, but fair. There are tactics that will work every time against a boss - even a Chaos Spawn - in such a situation.

As an example; the drop down in Festering Ground, into the cave where the key for the grim is. It is not infrequent for a boss to spawn just as you drop down.

However, the key is to let the boss come at you, then strafe around it while it does its charging attack (if it’s a Spawn/Ogre). Troll and Fiend are not an issue at all. It will chase you with its multi-hit combo, but as long as you go to its left (for Spawn), you can still avoid its grab - and if you rotate enough, you have now swapped positions and can kite it deeper into the cave, preferrably down to the bottom area where there is room to maneuver.

In some areas, this is tougher. Sometimes there is a horde as well, which is why you need someone who has mobility through hordes to kite it away from the others so they can deal with the horde. Again; this is very high difficulty, but it is a fair difficulty. Boss behaviour (actually the behaviour of all mobs) is extremely predictable when facing a single opponent, and you can game this.

I won’t pretend I’ve mastered it - and it would be NICE if they didn’t have so many boss spawns in small areas, because they are tough as hell to deal with. But it isn’t actually unfair.

4 Likes