For the most part we got some welcome changes to Unchained which left her already strong nature from pre-BBB intact and added some more variation to her. For most part I am very content with the current iteration aside from two things:
- I don’t understand the purpose of Chain Reaction
- Burning Dregs as a talent is to strong
For the sake of discussion and my sanity we ignore the first point. The second point is topic of the thread though. So what are my issues with Burning Dregs? I “assume” that the initial design idea behind Burning Dregs is an increased defense capability to give another failsafe against exploding. However, the current Burning Dregs does more:
- Adds an additional safety against overcharging (defense trait of the talent)
- Allows for more active usage of Living Bomb
- Allows more mindless melee spam and hit trading
- Adds an additional damage output by purposefully overcharging
- Allows usage of three (maybe more) overcharge bars to be spammed in short succession
- Allows team healing in a minute tact without any negative effect
- Allows increased damage output by level 30 talents in a minute tact
Granted you can’t use all level 30 talents at the same time. But to make it short, the talent gives a boost both to defense and offense. Swift Slaying should tell you a statistical story that this is never a good thing balance-wise as it will be a non-competitive choice. Overall, the defense nature of the talent is a welcome addition for those who want this additional net. But in my opinion, the talent shouldn’t be more than that: a defense talent. The intentional overcharge and magic spam can’t be avoided though without crippling the defense nature, so it has to stay.
However, the “synergy” between Burning Dregs and Living Bomb (the “active-skill-spam”, in short ASS) can be tackled:
- Solution 1: Make Burning Dregs a level 30 talent in place of Bomb Balm
The synergy with the active skills will be removed if it is an active skill itself. Thematically, this is justified as Burning Dregs effectively is a cooldown reduction talent and influences the active skill behaviour. Problem with this solution is that we need a new Level 25 Talent. For discussion’s sake I’ll give a suggestion:
Burning Wounds: Upon being damaged Sienna will burst out AoE fire damage to nearby enemies propotional to the received damage
- Solution 2: While being overcharged level 30 talents do not work anymore
Of course, this only applies if you have chosen Burning Dregs. Charmpoint of this solution is that it is easily implementable and does not need additional work (which is probably welcome for FS considering that the BBB draws closer to an end). Also, it would emphasize a more pro-active usage of Living Bomb as people should use it to get the level 30 talent benefits before it is to late.
- Solution 3: Replace Bomb Balm with another talent
ASS is in either case of your level 30 choice a problem. However, the worst offender by far is Bomb Balm as it refunds you (partially) the needed HP for activating it and allows to be a better healer than Mercenary. So a “softer” solution would be to just change Bomb Balm for something else while leavin the rest intact. For discussion’s sake I’ll give a suggestion:
Spreading the Fire: For the next 15 seconds Sienna and every hit ally will deal Fire DoT with each attack. Fire DoTs do 50 % more damage (numbers have to be evaluated, maybe make it only melee attacks, maybe make DoTs not stackable)
- Optional (for solution 2 and 3): Switch position of Burning Dregs and Chain Reaction. Currently, the Level 25 talent row is a choice between being a team player and an egoist (Bomb Balm spam aside). Even with a change in Burning Dregs, I fear the row to not be competitive. Switching it to level 10 row will change this as people have to decide between more offense, more defense or support. If people start to complain that they can’t chose Frenzied Flame and Burning Dregs at the same time, you know that you have reached the goal of making a competitive choice. And honestly, a stronger offense should come with a weaker defense, so the choice is a fair one.
All three solutions would solve the Living Bomb “synergy” issue so that people stop being ASSer. Solution 1 would stand for its own while solution 2,3 (+ optional) could also be applied at the same time.
- Not worth consideration: Make Burning Dregs a passive
Unchained is already easy enough to play without the talent. If someone really needs the addtional safety a talent is a good choice for this. But as a passive it would just be dumb and create Zealot 2.0. Get reward with no risk involved. Balance-wise a 100 % no-go.