10 things, that kill melee combat on Legend

Then learn how to play your said non-meta weapon.

What should be looking at? All common knowledge for regular players.

1 Like

Hate to be that guy humble bragging all over the place, but am pretty sleepy and will not have much time over the next few days to do justice to the topic:

From the first hours of 1.06 patch. A random pickup group. New hordes are definitely present.

Run Legend with 2 tanks or tanklike characters. It has been the new post 1.05 meta. If there had been bosses, Shade + Pyro + Knight will certainly handle them.

You know what, though:

Bring back Concentrated Brew, Fatshark!

It was a trait from the test betas; unlimited potions at cost of health. Cleaving through the numberless hordes on speed was my fondest activity. Now that barkskin and heal on kill is nerfed, along with the new difficulty, I think it is the perfect time to reintroduce this

Still no push stagger of the 1.04 era though. In those times patrols were a joke, and some kind of SV buff was needed

I remember reflecting back on the cinematic with the halberd soldiers facing off against the stormvermin in the street and laughing; how one skilled halberdier could quickly solo all of them on his own; that the skaven cause was doomed (still is) and the stormvermin pack’s lives would be measured in seconds

You know I hadn’t realized this but you’re spot on. Most of my legend wins have happened when I’m playing foot knight and we have ironbreaker, zealot, unchained, or handmaiden along for the ride.

Granted you can still win without these tanks, but they’re pretty damn good insurance for when the AI director throws the book at you, and they can bail out bad players to keep them from dying.

1 Like

I have different problem: it’s fine that elites are strong (I do think that you should be able to backstab shielded stormvermins btw, for shade’s sake) and super dangeorus, but low-tier swarms being able to chunk half of your HP pool with 1 hit? That’s just absurd. There are couple classes that have some damage reduction and more hp (footknight, ironbreaker, slayer, zealot, unchained, maybe you can squeeze couple more) and they are playable meele. But others…
I’ve been playing shade with dual daggers a lot latley, and this feels so unfair. You can dance around, dodge a lot of hits and think you’re doing well. You may even be proud of how good you are at this game. But then one slip off, one misread animation, one random rock messing your dodge range, or just too many slaves stacked on top of each other, or just random fps drop, and you loose 1/2 of your total health pool. So you can’t control for it, and you’re being punished super hard for things you can’t reliably avoid, no matter how hard you try. And you can only gain temporal hp with your combat prowess. That feels so unfair. You may add couple friendly shots and damage from a random gas rat, and you’re done. Just because you took 1 hit from a slave rat within wave of about 100 of them. The reward for doing great in meele is just not there, and risk is so high, it’s just not worth it.
You may argue that that’s the challenge that makes you thrill, but for me it’s the type of challenge that makes me not want to play this game anymore. Or at least meele-oriented playstyle, that I love the most.

You know what dude, you’re right. I should totally include that one to the list. Moreover, if regular enemies didn’t hit that hard, I wouldn’t care about stormvermin buffs. In critical situations I could at least tank a couple of hits to deal with them if needed. But now I can’t.

I also feel like it was nerfed, but is there an official confirmation?

This is the last thing I’m going to post here. I honestly think you are absolutely wrong (disregarding arguments for dedicated servers and such, which is obvious). If you think you are guaranteed to take damage from Monks, or that losing health to chaos swarms is inevitable while at the same time saying you don’t need to learn to play any better because the problem is in the game’s difficulty…and then coming back and saying you can actually deal with Monks, etc just fine - well then, this is just outright absurd.

Then who the hell are you talking about? If good players can consistently kite and kill these enemies with no problem, and you are one of them, but still think its not fun, that just means you don’t like the game - that is subjective, not objective. You are perfectly welcome to think that, of course. If bad players can’t do it, then they obviously need to work on it as you yourself say its entirely doable. This was just the icing on the cake for me. I’ve no idea what to say anymore. Completely perplexed. I wish you the best.

2 Likes

Stop engaging in sophistry and putting words into my mouth! Almost guaranteed and guaranteed is very different things. Very different. And inevitable? Losing health to chaos swarm? Where the hell did I say that?! Nowhere.

A general player, who else?. Would you be happier, if I used the word “one”, or “a player”?

Everything is subjective, shocker. As for fun… yes, I find it not fun having to use 3.5 weapons or fail else.

If you are a troll - by god man, you are the best I have ever seen in my life.

3 Likes

Sorry, I confused the pronoun. Don’t think that’s gonna change anything for you though.

If anything, melee combat is too easy on legend for it being the hardest difficulty. There is too much cleave and partly too much stagger on some weapons after 1.0.5 patch, where they made legend mass numbers the same as champion. I can tell you that all of the problems you describe, except lagg issues (melee is still doable with 100 ish ping, though, just gotta play more careful) and perhaps weapon balance, to an extent, are fixed with more practice. Just to reinforce my point, me and my friend could easily do full melee true duo convocation of decay with first try while playing partly off meta weapons and careers, zealot with 2h sword and shade with dual swords (around 600hours time played counting betas).

Granted shade is a bit broken but this would be easily possible with less good careers and weapons aswell. Also dealing with monks is definitely possible without taking hits, they are probably the hardest enemy to kill fast without taking dmg but you can kill one or 2 after they finish their attack combo, depending on what weapon ur using. If you wanna kill em fast without taking dmg, you gotta have long dodge weapon / high stagger weapon (like 2h sword staggers them with charged to the face) / slayer dual axe type of attack that lunges forward or spear to outrange them with.

@Noppa I am pretty sure there are players, that can solo the legend with any weapon blindfolded and without using either keyboard or mouse. I am exaggerating a little, but I am sure 1%-2% really feel even Legend unchallenging. There is also 3%-4%, that might feel Legend doable; hard, but doable (numbers come off the top of my head). But there is everyone else, an here is what they think.
As for me, I somewhere at the bottom of the 3%-4%, imho. But the exact numbers do not matter. What matters, is that when I play Legend, I have to work really hard to overcome the obstacles. It’s not an easy walk for me. And 90%-95% my teammates are worse than me. So if this is hard for me, that’s gotta be unbearable for them. And that’s confirmed by winrate.
But until now I didn’t say a word about melee combat, did u notice. Because even the 3%-4% prefer to stick to ranged combat as much as they can. Why? Because melee combat is very hard for the most players. Why is it hard? For the reasons mentioned above, imho.

Also FOV. Many players don’t have top-notch PC’s or too casual to care about it. But the default FOV makes game so much harder. And increased FOV feels very unnatural.

My problem is that you want to make melee easier instead of nerfing ranged. I think melee should be hard because difficulty is the only endgame of this game, so there needs to be something to pratice to keep interest. If a player feels that legend melee is too hard they can go back to champion and practice more or watch streams of other good players to see what they are doing to try to better their own gameplay and / or try to add some ppl to play and coordinate with. I don’t think they should nerf the hardest difficulty according to the needs of the average player because they have the option to go to lower difficulties and after practice, challenge themselves again in legend but the veteran players don’t have an option to make the game harder, so legend needs to be interesting.

Also I don’t think deeds are the answer to that problem because they arent repeatable and mods will fix it in time but I would much prefer that they gave us a new difficulty that doesnt have any better loot than legend, so that would be strictly for fun and challenge, so they could make it infinitely hard.

I don’t think fov is that relevant, I played with default fov for ages and only recently have increased it little by little and don’t really see a big diffrence.

1 Like

Legend is TOO hard for the most of the playerbase. And I am not asking for something radical, like increasing attack speed by 10% all of sudden or decreasing enemies damage by half. Actually, I am not asking for anything, just stating the problem.

What I want the most, though, Is the weapons to be balanced, lag reduction (servers all over the world), fixing control responsiveness, some more stagger on marauders and no lunge attacks from regular mobs when they approach you, only when you run away, like elites do.

As for the top 1%, you said it yourself: devs should just add another difficulty level for the 1%. And that’s it - everyone’s happy. The rewards should match the difficulty though.

That’s why it’s called LEGEND, lol. So what they add a 5th difficulty called superlegend, then we’ll see a bunch of posts complaining that superlegend is too difficult for most of the playerbase.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter, what it is CALLED, it matter what IT IS. There is Champion now, which is de facto Easy, and there is Legend, which is de facto Hard. But there is no Normal. And don’t start me on Veteran, Veteran is a joke.

I take that back. Veteran is Easy, Champion is Normal, Legend is Nightmare, but there is no Hard.

1 Like

lol wat… I’m going to learn from @FlashFuzz and bow out now. Have fun on your crusade.

1 Like

it’s hard because bluntly, people aren’t good enough, not because it’s mechanically difficult. the amount of cleave is out of control and anyone who has even a medium amount of understanding and skill at block, push and dodging can handle swarms in the current balance. i can not fathom how much easier melee can be made and the fact that enemies keep getting repeatedly nerfed is probably why the average person in legend is so genuinely terrible at this game. nobody is taught team work or proper play in previous difficulties because of how failure proof they are and this insane idea that the average players, those who take healing potions from your gray hp grim carriers, those who don’t hold a choke during a horde, those who don’t cover another entry point and instead mindlessly mash into an area already covered so they can get precious green circles, should be clearing legend, is absolute insanity.

previous difficulties never should have been so badly neutered and the fact you list champion as easy difficulty is pretty much entirely the problem. adding another difficulty doesn’t solve it either, because these same idiots who want carried to reds and cosmetics will cry about the next step up too.

3 Likes

“i am right and you guys are wrong”

4 Likes

Agreed on every word.

Though.

I disagree on that. There is a combination of mechanics, that is very difficult. First endless stacking + lunging enemies. They can hit from behind the rows of enemies, you’re trying to deal with. And you can’t do nothing about it, because one, you don’t see them, two, you can’t hit them through that mass anyways. Second - is how much you get punished for a single mistake. Regular mobs do crazy amounts of damage with charged attacks. A regular marauder deals almost as much damage, as a Stormvermin, for example.

I also don’t like how much marauders are resistant to stagger, which makes lots of weapons unusable, but on the other hand I might be questioning these weapons’ stats instead - why do they have such a low stagger compared to top-notch ones.

Firstly, calling people idiots is rude. Secondly, they have a reasoning behind their claims right now. It doesn’t matter, if some people gonna whine or not, what matters, is if they have a good reasoning for that, is truth on their side.

Damn, you totally got me, mookanana. I admit my defeat.