The forum is in read only mode and will be closing on March 1st 2017.

We are trying to streamline discussion and feedback through more modern channels.

Please provide feedback and discussions over on www.reddit.com/r/vermintide.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Fatshark Team
Options

New Classes?

KnugenKnugen 14 PointsMember, Level1
So do you think we will get new classes in the future???

Comments

• WusscakeWusscake 86 PointsMember, Level3
    Maybe, but first they need the game to survive before they can worry about adding new characters, which means fixing some hitboxes, adding daily quests or something to keep the game from getting stale, and solving the host lag abuse on cataclysm difficulties.
  • KimberKimber 44 PointsMember, Level3
    The thing with adding more and more classes is the amount of voice work that will be needed for each new character added. The vanilla 5 all have comments and remarks to specific other characters. If you add one new one, all the the other characters will need many lines of speech to communicate with the new class. It's alot of work each time a new class will be added.

Don't get me wrong I would love more class variety and new weapons as much as anyone else, it's just a lot more time and money consuming than meets the eye.
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 13 PointsMember, Level1
    I wouldn't mind something like a completely new reskin for a character. Like having the old skin for the Waywatcher that you saw in her development stages, or having Kruber wearing some beat up armour from his earlier years in the army. Maybe getting rid of the Dwarf's backpack and instead replacing it with something else like a tankard of ale for those happy breaks from about-to-get-mobbed-but-oh-wait-here-comes-an-ogre-and-also-a-packmaster-and-two-assassins moments!

Completely new characters to me feels like the very last thing. But yes, I think it'll -happen- when the game for the most part is done and they're simply designing DLC. It'll probably be one special character at a time but who knows!
  • Domz_commandoDomz_commando 73 PointsMember, Level3
    Hey, I don't think that making a new class is so damn difficult... The devs may actually make a new class by combining game mechanics of two "older ones". Like for example a "Rogue class", a nameless guy, one of the smugglers, who can use dual emperial swords or dual emperial daggers or maces (animation from WW, but weapon skin from ES) who can use double-barrel shotgun as a ranged weapon, or may be pistols, like WH. It's easy to make, just ctrl+c and ctrl+v some items and game mechanics.
    The only problem is sound, finding a new voice actor and writing new speeches for a new character and for the old ones.
    But old characters have some universal speeches about frienfly fire, or battle comments. Waywatcher will call him "lumber-foot" in any case. -_-
  • Warboss_Sloth_PopeWarboss_Sloth_Pope 13 PointsMember, Level2
    They should start with a Brettonian Questing knight. just give make him full on 2 handed user. Doesn't get a range weapon. Gets a flail and shield as secondary instead xD
    Nuh... I would prefer a dwarven slayer, used to be one of my favourite in Warhammer: Age of reckoning. )
  • darthcrevettedarthcrevette 88 PointsMember, Level3
    Everyone makes fun of me when I play the Dwarf. I need an ogre mercenary/maneater to compensate.

Or a Slayer. When it comes to killing rats, there's never too many dawi.
  • TheWiseTheWise 54 PointsMember, Level3
    edited March 2016
    My proposal here would be someone from Kislev - mere lowly Kossar (regular infantry, correctly it should be Cossack, but who cares?), or Druzhina (elite infantryman, correctly Druzhinnik, but - who cares), or Boyar (a kind of officer, correctly would be Boyarin, but - yet again! - who cares).

They could wield the following:

a) melee weapons:

- sabres (like this, this or this one) as either "sabre and shield" or "dual sabres" combination;
    - "sabre and yatagan" combo;
    - dual-wielding yatagans;
    - axes also as "axe and shield", hand-and-a-half axe (aka horseman's axe), dual axes or - bardiche as a two-handed axe;
    - maces (normal and flanged ones) - as "(flanged) mace and shield" combo, two-handed mace (like this goedendag or this morgenstern) or dual maces;
    - flails - also as "flail and shield", dual flails or two-handed flail;

b) ranged weapons:

- composite, oriental-type bows (like real-life tartar, bashkir, mongol , hungarian or russian ones) with different arrows: regular ones, broadheads with maximal damage and "bleeding" special effect (pretty close to one of hagbane arrows, just single-target one, without AoE and, respectively, team damage), or armor - piercing bodkin arrows;
    - pishchal - pretty close to current DR's or ES's handgun, with slightly faster reloading, visually - sometnihg like this:
    or this:
    - brace of pistols - functionally pretty close to the WH's one, just more of oriental style visually, something like this: image image image

As for general visual style - it should be Russian (no secret, that Russia is RL equivalent of Kislev), sometning like this:
    or, maybe, this (just coloured, naturally):
    or one of these dudes:
    or smeone like these bonnes hombres:
    or, maybe, someone like this pretty serious archer:

Story-wise - that (or those - who knows) character(s) could be some relatives of already present in the game Olessya Pimenova (100% russian name, BTW).

P.S. Already imagine the Waywatcher saying: "A lumberfoot proper with bow and arrows .... that's curious at least!" or "What a savage weaponry!" and Kossar's (or Boyarin's) answer: "It kills properly, and that's all I need from a weapon!"
  • AloxAlox 26 PointsMember, Level2
    High Elf White Lion would be awesome.
  • PieuvrePieuvre 24 PointsMember, Level2
    edited February 2016
    I'm thinking about the Priest of Sigmar.

Melee Weapons : Shield+Mace, Mace, 2H Hammer.
    Ranged Weapons : Books of SIgmar.
    The books could invocate the light of Sigmar to deal light damages. I was thinking about some heal too, but really don't know how to integrate this system in Vermintide. Like the Witch staff, could have different types of staffs.

Third person with a 2h hammer... Not bloody likely. )
    It's more for the book than the hammer, but priest use hammer of Sigmar, so...
    It's the same for swords, guns, rifles.
    edited February 2016
    Pieuvre said:

The books could invocate the light of Sigmar to deal light damages. I was thinking about some heal too, but really don't know how to integrate this system in Vermintide. Like the Witch staff, could have different types of staffs.

Books (different ones) or magic lanterns similarly to different staves of BW - yes. As for melee weapons - here should be rather hammer + shield, two-handed hammer and dual-wielded hammers. Hammers, not maces (at least I haven't seen maces neither on WH miniatures nor in Warscrolls Compendii). Besides it - he should possess the "Armoured" trait (pretty much the same way, as current ES and DR, BTW).
    Oh yeah, my mistake. It's not mace (I don't see mace too) for one hand, you're right. It could be : hammer + book/magic lanterns too, like for W.H. with rapier + pistol.
    edited February 2016
    Pieuvre said:

Oh yeah, my mistake. It's not mace (I don't see mace too) for one hand, you're right. It could be : hammer + book/magic lanterns too, like for W.H. with rapier + pistol.

I'd prefer them (book/lantern) and melee weapon switchable, pretty much like on any other class. BTW, for the Witch Hunter I'd also prefer to see "rapier+dagger" or "rapier+main gauche" combo instead of current "rapier+pistol" one, switchable with ranged weapons absolutely normal way.

• RocksitterRocksitter 12 PointsMember, Level1
    It would be nice if you could play has Skaven and they already have the models and voice work done.
  • TsuchinokoTsuchinoko 88 PointsMember, Level3
    edited February 2016
    ALL the IDEAS seen here are awesome and personally i would pay fro every single one, form priest of sigmar to questing kinght to ogre mercenary and high elf lion etc. personally ( if they don't get to be enemyes at some point like the undead and chaos) i would like to see some form of playable Orc, maybe a black orc . would definatly be my new main. ALSO a skink would be incredible. i also have seen some great idead about a dark elf witch using whips in the steam forums. all this suff is incredible, but bottom line i just wish they start to pump out a steady flow of dlc, both free and apyed to uel the game.

i REALLY wan't this to survive guys but you are working too slowly for people who are not maniacs like me about the setting to keep playing. ( on steam we are courrently around 1600 hardcore player who never stopped playing since day one) but the game sold over 300.000 copies. those people stopped pplaying becouse they are impatient and got bored. i don't wan't this game to die becouse of them, but we cannot force them to come back,YOU can on the other hand via adding a crapload of new stuff,and possibly more quicly than what you did till now, so please do start announcing at least some stuff for the future, to hype people. that's what i would do if i ere you.

plese i really wan't this game to become huge and long lived as , if not more, than left 4 dead 2
    edited April 2016

They should start with a Brettonian Questing knight. just give make him full on 2 handed user. Doesn't get a range weapon. Gets a flail and shield as secondary instead xD

Not only Questing Knight - Knight Errant, Knight Of The Realm, Questing Knight or Grail Knight.

Melee weapons could be:

- sword and shield;
    - sword and big shield
    - hand-and-a-half sword;
    - two-handed sword;
    - mace and shield;
    - mace and big shield;
    - two-handed mace (like grandmace, morgenstern, goedendag or holy water sprinkler)
    - battle hammer and shield;
    - battle hammer and big shield;
    - maul or horseman's pick (hand-and-a-half war hammer);
    - flail and shield;
    - flail and big shield;
    - two-handed flail;
    - axe and shield;
    - axe and big shield;
    - horseman's axe (hand-and-a-half axe);
    - poleaxe (as two-handed axe/hammer);

As for "no range weapons" - I for one would not agree. No firearms - definitely, it's not Empire with it's firearm obsession. Thus - ranged weapons for such character could be:

- longbows aka warbows (similar to English ones);
    - crossbows;
    - heavy crossbows - ones with goat's leg

windlass

or cranequin)

If they are in the game - they MUST have the "Armoured" trait (pretty similar to the Stormvermins' one).
    As for "big shields" - yes, it's a different kind of shields, which could and should differ from normal ones: 7-8 shields instead of 5, weaker or even no pushing instead, no bashing definitely, ability to block the Ratling Gun fire for decent amount of time and slowing the character down - both moving and weapon switching.

What could we have as reault - yep, the tankiest tank in it's purest and mostly melee incarnation.

The most correct visual representation would be - a normal French or English knight from the late 100-years war time like this:
    or, maybe, this
    this
    or this

• NaskoniNaskoni 22 PointsMember, Level1
    edited February 2016
    Pieuvre said:

That would be absolutely cool!
  • FizzlewizzleFizzlewizzle 23 PointsMember, Level2
    A few ideas:
    Add 3 more options for each hero (current and new onces). It is very iritating if you focus on Dwarf gameplay that you can't join a game if there is already a dwarf in there.
    (Same for the other heroes)
    It would seem fun though, having a group of 4 (name hero here), and have them bicker and discuss among their own kind (a 4 way dwarf discussion, i think i would sooner die laughing then by a Skaven).

As for other ideas:
    Slayers would be awesome:
    Melee: dual wielding axes, 2h axe.
    Ranged: Just throw above weapon(s), after which you go bare handed (punching / pushing) until you pick up your weapon again.

Lizardman/ Seraphon.
    Melee:
    2h staff (more a push weapon then a fighting weapon. awesome crowd control)
    Spear, Sword and Shield
    Ranged:
    Magic, Blowdarts

Dryads / Branshwreight.
    - Claws and magic.
  • ToutatrixToutatrix 176 PointsMember, Level4
    Kimber said:

The thing with adding more and more classes is the amount of voice work that will be needed for each new character added. The vanilla 5 all have comments and remarks to specific other characters. If you add one new one, all the the other characters will need many lines of speech to communicate with the new class. It's alot of work each time a new class will be added.

Don't get me wrong I would love more class variety and new weapons as much as anyone else, it's just a lot more time and money consuming than meets the eye.

As long as there are enough people to pay for it, then the amount of resources involved to make it isn't that important (the lesser the better though of course) Personally I'm just waiting for more content for this game, and I'm quite ready to pay for it if it's good enough. I'm sure there are tons of players who just do the same...
    Suffer not exploiters to loot. Burn the lame players, kill the skaven and purge the bugs.
    Most awaited new heroes :
    1- warrior priest of Sigmar
    2- wood elf wardancer/eternal guard
    3- bretonnian questing knight
    http://forums.fatsharkgames.com/discussion/1514/future-classes-i-d-like-to-play#latest
    edited February 2016
    Toutatrix said:

Kimber said:

As long as there are enough people to pay for it, then the amount of resources involved to make it isn't that important (the lesser the better though of course) Personally I'm just waiting for more content for this game, and I'm quite ready to pay for it if it's good enough. I'm sure there are tons of players who just do the same...

i agree
  • GulfwulfGulfwulf 72 PointsMember, Level3

i agree

So do I. Bring on the new characters!
    edited March 2016
    One more suggestion of the possible new character is - the Kislev Ice Witch.

Melee weapons could include the following:

- sabre;
    - hoarfrost sabre;
    - battle axe;
    - hoarfrost battle axe;
    - mace or flanged mace;
    - flail;
    - paired yatagans;

Ranged weapons - different staves (pretty much like ones of the BW), with certain spell bound to each of them;

- shardstorm staff (shardstorm could act pretty close to ratling fire, just freezing the targets and weakening their armor in addition);
    - freezing blast staff (pretty close to the fireball staff, just with freezing the targets to death instead of burning);
    - midwinter's kiss staff - produces short-range, cone-form wave of cold (pretty close to the Freezing Cone in Dragon Age or Snap Freeze in Mass Effect 3);
    - gift of the winter wind staff - pretty close to the BW's beam staff, just freezing the enemies instead of burning them. Imagine the strong cold wind gradually freezing it's targets on-the-fly;
    - ice storm invocation staff - invocates the moving whirling tornado, which freezes the enemies in certain area;

As for the "Ice Armor" spell - it could be the alternate mode for all staves. If an ally is targeted - the spell is applied to this ally. If no ally is targeted - the spell is applied to the Ice Witch herself (adding the severe damage resistance for some time).

Mean to balance with other mostly ranged characters - self-freezing during casting the spells (pretty much like BW's overheat).

Could synergize with BW pretty well, cooling the latter down with her spells and getting heated by BW's spells in return.

• BonnotBonnot 37 PointsMember, Level2

Everyone makes fun of me when I play the Dwarf. I need an ogre mercenary/maneater to compensate.

Silence! You short legged fat man!
  • MarwynnMarwynn 36 PointsMember, Level1
    I'd gladly pay for a DLC with a new class in it. It means a lot of new comments from all existing classes (and planned ones too, probably easier to do it all in one go).

Characters I'd like to see:

- A male, Kislevite Warrior-Sorcerer, an Ice Mage. He's old and complains about the cold in his bones. Debates constantly with Sienna about which of their elements are superior. Mistrusts the elf and witch hunter, who dislike him for his rather reckless use of magic. Ambivalent to the dwarf. Likes the empire soldier since he's not a soft southerner like he expected. Unique melee weapon: 2H Spearstaff with a secondary attack mode like the witch hunter's rapier and pistol set. His mechanic would be him freezing as he draws more ice magic, so using this alternate fire will still add to that counter.

- A human bandit, perhaps a foreigner to the Empire. He has similarities to the witch hunter, with a preference for dual wielding in close quarters. Mistrusted by everyone except the elf. Fought the Empire, fought beastmen, now fights skaven just to survive. He may or may not be a wanted bandit king. Unique ranged weapon: A caltrop-launching crossbow. Very limited shots and range, but useful in control spots. May have poisoned blades.

- A Warrior-Priest... of Ulric! He's actually a Wolf-Priest of Ulric, but still. Pisses off Saltzpyre to no end and both fail to hide their disdain for one another. Has grudging admiration for the ice mage and empire soldier, fully distrusts the others except the dwarf who the warrior-priest befriends. Has a large variety of melee weapons, using axes and maces even with shields. He is blessed with some of the god of winter's powers, manifested through charms and such that act as his 'mage staff'. A charm's standard attack deals damage, manifesting as a shard of ice or a slash from a ghostly wolf, but the alternate fire grants blessings. These could grant increased attack speed, bonus damage and target piercing, even other cool effects. But these aren't easily spammable, the alternate fire has to be charged and can't be held for too long. He's not a spellcaster like the Bright Wizard is, he's a melee fighter with buffs. The same mechanic could be used for Warrior Priests of Sigmar, but it's nice to have some variety.

• EponEpon 12 PointsMember, Level1
    Wardancer and Trollslayer !
  • PhaedraPhaedra 71 PointsMember, Level3
    edited March 2016
    Dwarf DragonSlayer! Yeah, these guys can dual wield big axes.... now this is a true "whirlwind of rat killing!"

He could carry 2 or 3 AP high damage low range / arching throwing axes?
  • ArindurArindur 21 PointsMember, Level2
    edited March 2016
    The devs have stated that they are planning a new character or characters (on twitch before Christmas). Warrior priest seems to be a popular choice. Personally I also like the archmage design and a pure caster with terrible melee could be an interesting option.

archm.jpg
    1307 x 743 - 652K
    i wan't EVERYTHING!!
This discussion has been closed.