The forum is in read only mode and will be closing on March 1st 2017.

We are trying to streamline discussion and feedback through more modern channels.

Please provide feedback and discussions over on www.reddit.com/r/vermintide.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Fatshark Team
Options

Character Motivation Discussion: "Why is Kerillian counting her kills?"

Poor_YorickPoor_Yorick 3 PointsMember, Level1
I really like the lore and the dialogue between the characters and one thing really jumped out at me: The waywatcher, our beloved Wutelgi, seemed off to me. What do I mean? Well... just like Kruber is not a usual soldier and Bardin is not a regular dwarf, Kerillian seems to be rather strange, especially for a forest elf. Forest Elves are not supposed to be those convoluted-mess-spewing, self-agrandizing weirdos. That's the High Elves. Forest Elves are more down to earth, calm and reclusive. What I want to say is: Kerillian's pompous and overcompensating behaviour is probably as annoying to her fellow elves as it is to the group (Kruber mentions that her eyes are different from those of the elves he has seen before). It seems extremely weird that an elf like her would ever leave the forest if she has so little regards for non-elves (after all, the Bretons and Elves are allies. Other elves care about humans).
So... why did she leave?
Well, I say that she is under a Geas or quest. What for? To kill chaos creatures. Several characters (Bardin first and foremost) mention that she counts her kills. Sienna even mentions that the winds of magic move whenever Kerillian kills.
The question is: What is the nature of this Geas. Her backstory mentions that Kerillian followed a mage into the forest when she was not really supposed to. Did that mage curse her or did the superiors of the forest do it after said mage did something bad and she failed to stop it?
I'm curious: What do you think?

Comments

• XellossXelloss 32 PointsMember, Level1
    Interesting theory. I hope we'll get more lore-related content in future DLCs to expand on thing such as this.
  • LeadpaintchipsLeadpaintchips 42 PointsMember, Level2
    On this note, one of the conversations as your riding up the elevator on MtR is Sienna commenting that she notices something growing when Kerillian kills Skaven. Kerillian's comeback is "I. . . I don't know what you're talking about." So there's something there.

This might be just an artistic choice, but from what I know, elves' eyes have irises and Kerillian's eyes are all pupils, or at least all black.
  • GorweGorwe 24 PointsMember, Level2

On this note, one of the conversations as your riding up the elevator on MtR is Sienna commenting that she notices something growing when Kerillian kills Skaven. Kerillian's comeback is "I. . . I don't know what you're talking about." So there's something there.

This might be just an artistic choice, but from what I know, elves' eyes have irises and Kerillian's eyes are all pupils, or at least all black.

I don't know about irises. I've been looking at the cover of pretty much all the WHFB Elf books(sans Codices) and it was weird to me that they never seemed to have an iris. But then again, they weren't looking directly at you from the picture(or at the very least not in the close up). This bit of information always interested me.
    edited December 2016
    I haven't looked at anything other than the splash art from BB, but in there from what I remember all the elves have irises. Tried googling something but apparently the only elves people want to have any close ups to are dark elves, and the witches at that. . . .

Edit: I've wandered across some wood elf pictures from WHF, but their eyes are all heavily shadowed, so I couldn't actually see anything other than a general shape.
    edited December 2016
    If you look carefully, it seems that they've big eyes. You can see the white part of the eye just barely in the corner of Kerillian's eyes. Undecided on irises. I am an Elf fan, but this is obscure even for me. Perhaps we should ask Arch.

Though...I don't remember them having them in Warhammer Online as well.
  • GulfwulfGulfwulf 72 PointsMember, Level3
    I think those are just light reflecting off of her eyes and not a part of them. In TES the Wood Elves (Bosmer) have both black and red eyes depending on the game.
    @Gulfwulf TES Elves have both pupils and irises', while Kerillian doesn't seem to have irises, or even whites. I don't know if that's normal for Warhammer elves, because my searches have come up fruitless. They are either not close enough to see the style of eyes, or so shadowed by a helm that there's no telling what kind of eyes they have. Chaos tainted humans (mutants) can sometimes have the solid color eyes (usually black), and daemons do.

I know I've slightly derailed the thread, but this might actually matter towards the nature of the Geas on her.
  • Poor_YorickPoor_Yorick 3 PointsMember, Level1
    Just something to add in my musings: The Achievement you get when you clear a mission as Kerillian is called "Accursed".
    So maybe you are onto something here.
    What I also find interesting is that one of Kerillian's quotes basically has her appologizing and when Kruber asks who she is talking to, Sienna answers "The World". Maybe that is more than just her being melodramatic and she actually did mess up something big when she followed that Spellsinger. Or maybe she should have stopped him. Its interesting.

@Gulfwulf TES Elves have both pupils and irises', while Kerillian doesn't seem to have irises, or even whites. I don't know if that's normal for Warhammer elves, because my searches have come up fruitless. They are either not close enough to see the style of eyes, or so shadowed by a helm that there's no telling what kind of eyes they have. Chaos tainted humans (mutants) can sometimes have the solid color eyes (usually black), and daemons do.

I know I've slightly derailed the thread, but this might actually matter towards the nature of the Geas on her.

She has a white. But her eyes are so large is all. I still don't know a thing about irises, but it seems that the Warhammer Elves have big eyes. Which made me think of Witch Elves for whatever reason...
    @Gorwe, I looked a bit more in game, and ayup, she does have a faint amount of whites to her eyes. What exactly are you meaning about them having 'big eyes'?
  • tierzillatierzilla 22 PointsMember, Level2
    this interest me .
    also anyone know's what is she refering with:
    - Ennai noi , one step closer. ?
  • QuanrianQuanrian 117 PointsMember, Level4
    No clue but both her and Bardin are looking for something. I just get the feeling she is looking for revenge but on who or why is the bigger question. It's very possible her whole village/home was wiped out. Perhaps she was banned for spending too much time around the man things.
    Eat the game before it devours your life!
  • SpiderPirate4SpiderPirate4 12 PointsMember, Level1
    If you've read any of the Warhammer novels that focus on Wood Elves (Like the Orion trilogy)... you'll find that there are many Wood Elves that are almost as arrogant as the High Elves and definitely look down upon Humans and Dwarfs (there was a massive battle in Athel Loren that involved the Dwarfs... it's how Durthu was burned and scarred), but they flirt with shadow lore as well and aren't AS self-righteous/pompous as High Elves... but they're not what I'd call your typical "down to earth" though.
  • KunninPlanzKunninPlanz 12 PointsMember, Level1
    All of her headwears cover her face either in part or whole. Perhaps she hides her face because she is ashamed of something she did, or ashamed of something she failed to do. Saltzpyre for sure suspects something is off with her, he may even know what it is. Some of Saltzpyre's lines hint at killing Kerillian - just the other day she got grabbed by a Packmaster and Saltzpyre said something along the lines of: "They are strangling the elf. Stop them, THAT'S MY JOB!"
  • Jakal_of_Kazak_VlagJakal_of_Kazak_Vlag 158 PointsMember, Level4
    saltzpyre's a witch hunter- they're always half-planning for killing EVERYONE just in case.
  • BitchElfBitchElf 39 PointsMember, Level2
    I would go watch one of the videos of compiled character dialogue. Kerillian is cursed, which is why Sienna notices the Weave reacting to Kerillian killing things. Kerillian says things like "There is only the count" when Kruber asks her about it, which means she must have to a kill a certain number of enemies of Athel Loren or something. There isn't much detail beyond the fact that she is cursed.
  • WinthiefowWinthiefow 22 PointsMember, Level2, Beta Tester
    We'll have answers soon I hope, the next update is pure lore <3
This discussion has been closed.